Teetering on the edge of Leafs Nation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
It is interesting to read posters using the words "we" and "I" to describe the Maple Leafs betrayal as some personal slight.

The fact is; the Maple Leafs is a business organization with the sole purpose of making profits. The customers decide to make changes with their money, but the problem is the customers keep supporting mediocrity.

Players get paid hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars to play the game. Players are mainly in it for them to win and make the most money they can get. It is about the player's legacy, not the team's legacy as they know a trade can happen at any time.

There is no allegiance to the team by the players so in the end it just proves that professional hockey is a business to the owners and players that play the game.

It would be easier to view this whole situation as a business situation and not a passion for the fans deserve accountability situation.

Maple Leafs nation wants to hold the team accountable? Stop paying for the tickets and merchandise!

Too bad most of Leafs Nation is too ignorant to understand that very SIMPLE concept.

Another very simple concept: Over 30% of the ACC is owned by small business and corporations, mostly lower bowl. These are mostly automatic renewals at increasing rates on a year over year basis. So, let's say only 15,000 seats left for the rest of us. 7 million people in the golden horseshoe alone, you can imagine how big the basic local fanbase will be, and, what percentage of them are naive supporters who have no concept of what is actually happening, and who could not give a ****, they just want to say they went to a leaf game. Will the suits boycott? no. Will these naive average surface supporters boycott? no, they don't care enough to. Will the ACC seats be filled out every night? yes. Why? Because suit/weakhand demand will always be 100x larger than supply, while the diehard boycotter is a large minority.

But, if we had more than one professional hockey team in the city things may change.. and MLSE obviously knows this. There is NOTHING we diehard fans can do about impacting their profit line, thanks to the every day idiot you run into the street who says, "oh well, better luck next year", or, investment banker who is paid to shmooze their overseas clients during the game.

When I worked for TD, the managing director of my trading division (born in NYC) had 8 corporate platinum tickets to the ACC, and, he was a Montreal fan somehow. He was absent to about 75% of games but refused to sell tickets because he was too busy and filthy rich. This actually did impact my decision to quit, which I did last May. **** him and **** TD.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Meh... I like comedies.

After a whole year of watching the comedy on ice that is Clarkson, I've come to realize that the Toronto Maple Leafs continue to follow in the footsteps of great Toronto area comedians like Mike Myers, Jim Carrey and John Candy.

The Toronto Maple Leafs... The Best Comedy on Television.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Lol sorry to burst your bubble, but we've been in this cycle for a full decade. And the worst part is, unless some earth-shattering trade goes down, this team isn't going to get much better. Certainly not to the point where they can challenge for the cup.

unfortunately, this has been the theory for the last decade and nearing 50 years since the leafs even sniffed a SCF.

so and point?

the Rangers went through it for 50 years. Detroit 45+, ditto for Chicago. the St Louis blues is just as long as we are.

Droughts happen and it takes a long time to end them
(See: Boston Red Sox, see those NHL teams I listed, minus St Louis).

i'm not discounting people for wanting not to support the team. that's their right and their decision.

I am quite comfortable in my front seat on this rollercoaster.
am I upset on what happened today? yes.
but i'm not going to let that be what knocks me from cheering this team. because I want to remember every single nasty jolt - because when the Leafs win, it will be amazing.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Everyone has the role in life. Their place in the universe. In order for one team to have an epic comeback win, some team needs to have an epic collapse. In order for someone to overcome the odds and win, someone must lose.

That's the deepest, most philosophical way I've saying the Leafs are boned that I've ever read. :laugh:

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
If the players dont change i feel the same way. When are people going to hold the players accountable? The coach/gm can only do so much (although i would have fired them both) they arent the problem, the players are

:handclap: we are a select few that see the real problem at hand.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
so and point?

the Rangers went through it for 50 years. Detroit 45+, ditto for Chicago. the St Louis blues is just as long as we are.

i'm not discounting people for wanting to bail on the team. that's their right and their decision.

Sigh. It's not bailing, it's being unwilling to financially support something that clearly isn't working.

Personally I think a real true fan are the ones that realize some times you have to walk away from supporting the team. If more did it perhaps they'd realize it's unacceptable.

It's easy just to say .. i'm a real fan because I would never bail. as a matter of fact, Harold Ballard laughed at leaf fans for being exactly what you are saying.

and btw, all those teams had SCF appearances the leafs haven't. The leafs have never won more than 2 playoff rounds in any given year.

Last edited:

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
And I see so many here have missed the point...

It's not the Carlyle signing that has suddenly been the worst move in history. It's the fact that I have seen history repeated over and over an over again with this franchise, and this is again history repeating itself. No accountability, and no major changes seem to be on the horizon (although I would love to be proven wrong this summer).

How long can you guys continue to be screwed over and lied to and taken for granted before you get angry? At what point does passion become exhausted and genuine frustration begins to take over?

It's not that I could ever cheer for any other NHL team and hate the Leafs, it's that this team just keeps finding ways to screw up and push its die-hards away.

We get the point.....you're unhappy with the Leafs to the point of quitting.

If you feel that way, pack it in. Maybe it's time.

You've missed the point......most of us don't care if you quit or not. Not trying to be overly harsh, but being a Leaf fan isn't for everyone. :)

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
We get the point.....you're unhappy with the Leafs to the point of quitting.

If you feel that way, pack it in. Maybe it's time.

You've missed the point......most of us don't care if you quit or not. Not trying to be overly harsh, but being a Leaf fan isn't for everyone. :)

Yup its your choice to cheer in a team. No one really cares who you support though, leafs don't have a shortage of fans.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
:handclap: we are a select few that see the real problem at hand.

Ummmm.... The GM evaluates the player, places a value of their worth, and signs them to huge contracts they can never live up to. And the coach is supposed to get that value out of the player who is like, "holy **** how did I just get paid that much". They all have to go, GM, then coach, then players.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
so and point?

i'm not discounting people for wanting to bail on the team. that's their right and their decision.

I am quite comfortable in my front seat on this rollercoaster.
am I upset on what happened today? yes.
but i'm not going to let that be what knocks me from cheering this team. because I want to remember every single nasty jolt - because when the Leafs win, it will be amazing.

No true fan is just going to bail on the team. Hell, I've literally watched 90% of the Leafs' games over the last 7 years, and every Saturday before that since I was old enough to grasp the concept of hockey. You're posting on this forum, so I assume you have a similar type of history. We all do.

But it has gotten to the point where we've seen this exact same script play out over and over and over and over again. The faces have changed, but the culture behind this team has never changed. And if all the personnel signings from this past season and a bit are any indication, it doesn't look like things are going to change any time soon.

And it certainly does not help if this current team has a penchant for losing in the most epic, brutal, embarrassing ways possible.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Sigh. It's not bailing, it's being unwilling to financially support something that clearly isn't working.

Personally I think a real true fan are the ones that realize some times you have to walk away from supporting the team. If more did it perhaps they'd realize it's unacceptable.

It's easy just to say .. i'm a real fan because I would never bail. as a matter of fact, Harold Ballard laughed at leaf fans for being exactly what you are saying.

and btw, all those teams had SCF appearances the leafs haven't. The leafs have never won more than 2 playoff rounds in any given year.

fine. then that's wrong word

If people choose to walk away from the team - then walk away. like I said - that's every person's given right to do so. if you have to make that decision to seem like you want to have your voice heard - then go ahead.

because then we get into these conversations

what's a real fan - oh, a real fan does abc, oh no, a real fan does xyz.

it doesn't change what i originally said - ALL teams go through droughts. Would it make a difference if we made it to the SCF and still lost? does that change anything? I keep saying - it should be a goal to try to make the playoffs, and hope for the best. maybe circumstances go your way and you can make the final. or - it could be, everyone counts you out but then you're one high-stick away from.. i don't know what. Or one flying elbow from meeting a very weak opponent. Or you're so beaten up by trying to get to the conference finals you can't beat a weaker opponent and their hot goaltender.

I choose not to stop supporting my team. I don't buy merchandise, I don't buy tickets [mostly because I can't afford it, if I needed something that says TML, i can very well make it myself]. But I'm not going to not watch games. I personally believe that eventually things will change. there's always an up swing. Things were in flux in the 70s, horrendous in the 80s, upswing.

Things were in flux in 2003-bad in the middle part of the 00s - and eventually, upswing. the key is to make sure when the upswing happens that the leafs have enough pieces in hand to make a run to a cup. Now. I'm fine with holding out and waiting to see what happens next.

Other people may not. and that's their decision.

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
Didn't some guy same he would videotape himself eating his hat or something? Has he responded today? I hope he lets us vote on the type of hat.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
STARTS HERE.

2014 predictions:

"Dougie" Kadri gets traded for carrots
Jake "Duncan Keith" Gardiner demands a trade for a longer leash
James "I'm hallucinating" Reimer divorces April because her name sends him into nightmares
The one legged one and done disposable used q-tip from Chicago resigns for too much money
Draft poorly
Randy "Toasters" Carlyle fired in first 10 games.
Kessel and Bozak have a baby together. Whose the mother?
Phaneuf breaks Lupuls arm again accidentally on purpose.
Lupul takes the injury time to buy more sweater vests in grenich village.
Nonuts continues to buy huge amounts of vagisil.
Shanny rubs it all over.
Miss playoffs

2015 - 2020 predictions:

Nothing. More vagisil.

2021 predictions: Faneuf finally leads something naturally, free agency.
Reilly becomes captain if he hasn't demanded a trade by then.
Rebuild.

feel free to discuss how much vagisil is needed for the three stooges to keep sliding out of responsibility.

Stop teetering and make the jump to the dark side

:biglaugh:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Hard to believe Carlyle being re-upped could be a tipping point as far as anyone being a Leafs fan. I doubt many of us chose to be Leafs fans(if you had a choice and did you are probably borderline insane) it just comes from living here or like in my case from your family. As was so sagely posted earlier being a Leafs fan is like having herpes. It's for life you just have to make the best go of it. That gif from the movie Seven making the rounds is the funniest thing I've seen in years.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
well ive been a fan since 2008 ish

and ill always be a fan regardless their cup summary until i die
that's how i view things

you could have a limit, i am a die hard fan meaning till i die
go figure where you put yourself

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
At least wait and see what changes they do actually make. So far the assistants are gone. We have to see who the replacements are and then what changes are made to the roster.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Hard to believe Carlyle being re-upped could be a tipping point as far as anyone being a Leafs fan. I doubt many of us chose to be Leafs fans(if you had a choice and did you are probably borderline insane) it just comes from living here or like in my case from your family. As was so sagely posted earlier being a Leafs fan is like having herpes. It's for life you just have to make the best go of it. That gif from the movie Seven making the rounds is the funniest thing I've seen in years.
Well anything can be the straw that breaks the camel's back. A management group comfortable with mediocrity and absolutely clueless can be it.

It's a difficult time when you look long-term and see how far we really are. First we need to get this next season out of the way so Carlyle and hopefully Nonis get canned. Then we need a new GM/Coach, then we need to clean out the roster mess Nonis created, and then hopefully moving forward again. And that's all assuming Shanahan actually has a clue and things even go that well. If not tack on some more years and maybe by the time Rielly is ready to retire we'll be somewhere :laugh:.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Well anything can be the straw that breaks the camel's back. A management group comfortable with mediocrity and absolutely clueless can be it.

It's a difficult time when you look long-term and see how far we really are. First we need to get this next season out of the way so Carlyle and hopefully Nonis get canned. Then we need a new GM/Coach, then we need to clean out the roster mess Nonis created, and then hopefully moving forward again. And that's all assuming Shanahan actually has a clue and things even go that well. If not tack on some more years and maybe by the time Rielly is ready to retire we'll be somewhere :laugh:.
The Leafs franchise has had 3 stretches of above mediocre teams in 47 years so it sounds about right. Someone made a great comment a while back on how the 80's is always looked at as the worst period in Leafs history but since the last lockout it has probably been worse.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I find my self in the same position I don't exactly like following this team anymore. I don't pay to go to games... MLSE will get my money but it will be from the Raptors or TFC not the leafs... I just seriously dislike some of the players on this team. I have grown to seriously despise phaneuf as a player I just can't seem to cheer for that guy he's the definition of loser. I don't have it in me to cheer for another team though im to much of a "Toronto" guy... I just prefer the other Toronto teams right now even the Jays who haven't made the playoffs in forever either I actually like all their players and feel that connection.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Things will get better when Stamkos takes a hometown discount so that he can play for his beloved childhood team.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Things will get better when Stamkos takes a hometown discount so that he can play for his beloved childhood team.
Too bad he's pretty awful defensively. I don't see how he's going to be playing a Carlyle-style game. Don't get me wrong, he's better than Kessel and they could play together, but we'd probably have to move Phil out.

K19*

The owners and their need to maximize profit in TV deals, marketing, advertisements, ticket prices, season ticket prices, etc. is why this corporation has been a loser and always will be.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Too bad he's pretty awful defensively. I don't see how he's going to be playing a Carlyle-style game. Don't get me wrong, he's better than Kessel and they could play together, but we'd probably have to move Phil out.

faster kessel gets moved faster the culture changes ,,,,,,stamkos the face of leafs nation ,as compared to kessel isnt even close
sad part is someone is gonna get stamkos for kessel type money .....cruel reality ,but that life in the burke /nonis era......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad