Rumor: Teams connected to Faulk: CHI, DET, EDM, and TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
That would make it awful for Edmonton.

It's generally a bad idea to trade a player like Draisaitl for a package of lesser players + futures. So if I was Carolina, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. For Oilers, it's a tougher sell. So I was trying to come up with a plausible offer like that, with enough value, and Lucic going the other way is a crucial part of it.

Still never happen. No way Edmonton trades Drai for that.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
LOL you are out of your mind if you think RNH could be acquired with Justin Faulk. Faulk has only hit 40 points once in his career. Also, from what I've seen of Faulk, he only has a good shot. His passing isn't good at all. He reminds me of MA Bergeron

Read my comment again. I wasn't proposing anything.

You don't think Faulk could have scored 3 points in the 18 games he missed in 15-16 or the 7 games he missed in 16-17? That's like objecting to calling Nugent-Hopkins a 50 point forward. Technically, he hasn't hit that mark since 14-15. Account for the games he missed in 15-16 and 17-18, and he's there.

We've gone from a soft Cody Franson to MA Bergeron in the span of one thread. What's next, an AHL defenseman?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
But why? he's bad defensively and has mobility issues, no thank you.
hes not bad mobility wise at all first off. second defense can be learned or focused, he may not be the shut down d that we need but hes still a solid top 4 rhd that can move the puck. look at gardiner before babcock and now look at him now, its night and day. Babcock could do the same with faulk.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I'm blown away by how Oilers fans are propping up RNH, making it seem like the value between these 2 players is so tilted in their favor. The value is actually closer than some may want to admit. RNH isn't as valuable as people like to think

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
People here have awfully short memories. Nugent-Hopkins is a year removed from a 43-point full season and a 0 goal playoff. Edmonton can’t afford to trade him for Faulk. That’s fine.

But, let’s not act like there’s a significant gap in value here. Look at the larger sample. Faulk can bounceback too.

Faulk is not worth him, even if we could. There is a significant gap as until this year RNH has always been used in a defensive-minded role. McLellan took off the shackles this year and encouraged him to take more risks offensively.

I also think you’re forgetting he’s only 25. He’s barely a year older than Teravainen who I doubt you’d look at as a finished product.

The best offers you’re getting are the likes of Leivo and Brown and other spare junk. That should tell you something.

RNH alone is an overpayment. Any thoughts of RNH + is just plain idiocy. The plus there is on the wrong side and it would need to be a doozy.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Idk
Leivo+kapanen/Johnson +1st
For Faulk +minor add

Leivo gets a shot somewhere and Kappy/Johnson become without a doubt in my mind 40 point+ players with the Canes.
Leivo has no value. Check the waivers thread. Voted most likely to be on wavers by leafs fans.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm blown away by how Oilers fans are propping up RNH, making it seem like the value between these 2 players is so tilted in their favor. The value is actually closer than some may want to admit. RNH isn't as valuable as people like to think

Yes, he is.

And even if you don’t think he is, take a good long look at our forwards without him and tell me why Edmonton should trade RNH for Faulk, who has been falling like a stone for 150 games? The guy just isn’t good anymore. He’s a barely passable #4.

Couple that with the massive hole losing RNH would make in our forwards, and consider that two of our top three prospects are offensive minded RHD and you start to understand why Oiler fans spit all over this.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
Carolina fans will say no. Not enough from Detroit.

As a Det fan, I can understand that. Personally since Faulk isn’t a pressing need and that’s the one guy we would want from the Canes and E. Svech is an obvious secondary piece to send back in any trade with them... I’d rather hang on to Svech to see if his value goes up during the season. I’m not saying it necessarily will but he had a bad year last year but not enough people are acknowledging that it might have been entirely due to a lingering neck injury. If he bounces back strong his trade value could change drastically.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Why not this:

Detroit gets:
Faulk
4th

Carolina gets:
Nyquist
E. Svechnikov

Carolina loses a year of term with Nyquist. The Canes would have a make a decision between trading him as a rental, letting him walk as a UFA or signing him to a mid-term to long-term contract in a hurry. That’s a headache.

Carolina also has a ton of prospects on and around the Svechnikov tier (if he doesn’t bounce back from his injury); Foegele, Saarela, Kuokkanen and Roy all finished at .5 ppg or above as rookies in the AHL last season. Add in Zykov, Wallmark, Gauthier, Pu, Geekie and Carolina is overflowing with non-elite forward prospects. The real appeal is who is brother is and the Canes are an organization that has been and done that without much success. I don’t see it.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Leivo has no value. Check the waivers thread. Voted most likely to be on wavers by leafs fans.
not that he has much value, but if he was going to clear waivers the Leafs would not have:
- protected him in expansion (over a now full time NHL'er in Brendan Leipsic)
- dealt Soshnikov instead of waiving Leivo. Soshnikov dealt for a 4th rounder, so that's probably your value benchmark - something more than a 4th rounder as the Leafs chose him over a guy dealt for that return
- kept giving him contracts when contract numbers were a constraint for the Leafs

he's not worth a lot, but calling him valueless doesn't line up with the things the Leafs have done with him. It's a head scratcher that he hasn't played more for sure

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
lmao Their not moving rnh when he worked well with mc D at the end of season. His value is also not any less than Faulk.

Oilers fans think Nuge could very well score 35 goals and 70 points on Connor’s wing, so yeah. He’s not available. And definitely not for Faulk.

Reactions: ujju2

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Oilers fans think Nuge could very well score 35 goals and 70 points on Connor’s wing, so yeah. He’s not available. And definitely not for Faulk.
Oilers fans have their heads in the clouds.

I get that Hopkins is valueable to your team and you may not want to trade him. But to sit there and try to proclaim he has this immense value league wide, well, let’s pump the brakes a bit. Mr 43 pointer center, playing as a winger.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers fans have their heads in the clouds.

I get that Hopkins is valueable to your team and you may not want to trade him. But to sit there and try to proclaim he has this immense value league wide, well, let’s pump the brakes a bit. Mr 43 pointer center, playing as a winger.

If he’s just a 43 point center, than Faulk’s just an eight goal defenceman than can’t produce without being force fed powerplay time, and is a worse even strength producer than Matt Benning, on top of being abysmal defensively. No dice, no sale. RNH for Faulk is of negative interest to Edmonton.

Like it or not all we would offer is along the lines of what the Leafs are offering - Caggiula/Strome, 2nd, mediocre prospect. No to RNH, no to Puljujarvi, no to first rounders, no to anything more significant than that. We don’t want him.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
If he’s just a 43 point center, than Faulk’s just a five goal defenceman than can’t produce without being force fed powerplay time, and is a worse even strength producer than Matt Benning.
Faulk for most of his career has been a consistent 30-40 point RHD, on a 4.8 caphit, which as we all know is quite valueable and wanted around the league.

Meanwhile, I should expect a little bit more output from my 6m$ center.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
I also think you’re forgetting he’s only 25. He’s barely a year older than Teravainen who I doubt you’d look at as a finished product.

We (canes fans) have no need to convince ourselves teravainen isn't done developing to know he's already a good player. Though its probably different with a former 1st overall.

And does a 5 month difference now count as "barely"?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Faulk for most of his career has been a consistent 30-40 point RHD, on a 4.8 caphit, which as we all know is quite valueable and wanted around the league.

Well that’s good then, because over the course of his career he’s a 56 point centre on average over 82 games with a well rounded two way game. He’s a better and more valuable player and it’s not close.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We (canes fans) have no need to convince ourselves teravainen isn't done developing to know he's already a good player. Though its probably different with a former 1st overall.

And does a 5 month difference now count as "barely"?

You (canes fans) are about the only fan base on the planet that thinks Faulk has the kind of value to return a player of RNH’s caliber.

Expectation: Nylander/RNH

Reality: Lesser pieces, picks, and prospects. You don’t have a leg to stand on here. If he wasn’t coming off of two poor seasons it might be different, but it’s not. No one is paying a premium for a guy that’s now irrelevant on your roster.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Gardiner just topped 50 points, and i wouldn't begin to think he would bring RNH back in trade. Points are nice...but defence would be nicer.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Are you insinuating that Nylander and Nugent-Hopkins are on a similar tier of value?

:popcorn:

At similar stages in their careers, yes I am.

RNH first 3 seasons: 132 points in 182 games

Nylander first 3 seasons: 135 points in 185 games

RNH played centre exclusively, Nylander plays wing.

Now RNH never took a step offensively, rather focusing on his two way game, and I bet Nylander will likely put up better offensive numbers riding shotgun for Matthews or Nylander instead of the crap wingers RNH has been stuck with lately, but expecting either player for a declining asset like Faulk is absurd.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
At similar stages in their careers, yes I am.

RNH first 3 seasons: 132 points in 182 games

Nylander first 3 seasons: 135 points in 185 games

RNH played centre exclusively, Nylander plays wing.

Now RNH never took a step offensively, rather focusing on his two way game, and I bet Nylander will likely put up better offensive numbers riding shotgun for Matthews or Nylander instead of the crap wingers RNH has been stuck with lately, but expecting either player for a declining asset like Faulk is absurd.

What does the RNH of 3-4 years ago have to do with anything? Is there a difference in value between the RNH of now and Nylander?

I do want to point out that the only poster to really suggest Faulk for Nylander also suggested Faulk for Draisaitl and Hanifin for Matthews. His trolling is different than what the majority expects in terms of a return. Whether we outwardly admit or not, I think we know that the market is not conducive to a hockey trade involving Faulk. He’s likely to be traded for a collection of lesser assets now or later.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad