Team Ranking: Good depth but lack of stars places Dallas at top of 11-20 group

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
shayne_gostisbehere_philadelphia_120515.jpg
Photo: Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere is the vanguard of a solid group of defensive prospects that will be joining the Flyers in the coming seasons (courtesy of Kyle Ross/Icon Sportswire)

</p>With top scorers like Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn in hand, the Dallas Stars are not lacking for high-end talent at the NHL level. The story in their prospect pipeline is slightly different, however, as the Stars’ system ends up dropping a couple places in the latest edition of the Hockey’s Future NHL Team Rankings.

The Stars fall from their top-10 perch, but not very far as they head the 11-20 group in these rankings.… read more

The post Team Ranking: Good depth but lack of stars places Dallas at top of 11-20 group appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
And also off Faksa, who looks great in the role he was drafted for when called up to the NHL?

This generalized list probably makes the right points - no Conner McDavid's but if we end up with 12 15-25 goal forwards out of it in the next few years, and score by committee, I think we will be fine, if Benn and Seguin can be retained as well.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I agree with most of the HF piece.

The jury is still out on Guryanov. He's the real wildcard in our system. Honka is a very nice prospect, but is he a blue-chip top pairing guy? No. We really do lack those true top-tier prospects.

Ully our #3 ranked prospect? I dunno about that one quite yet.

Nemeth at #5? I think that's a tad generous as well given his step back this year and the addition of Johns to the prospect pool. An argument could be made for Lindell as well.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
the shine has worn off on dickinson? since when?

I haven't been high on Dickinson for a while now, and his numbers aren't anything special when compared to his peer group.

And also off Faksa, who looks great in the role he was drafted for when called up to the NHL?

This generalized list probably makes the right points - no Conner McDavid's but if we end up with 12 15-25 goal forwards out of it in the next few years, and score by committee, I think we will be fine, if Benn and Seguin can be retained as well.

The prospect mindset is different. While most teams rely on former high draft picks to play depth roles on their 3rd pair or bottom 6, what matters in rankings like these is which teams got the best players. We got Faksa, would you rather have Gostisbehere? Fredrick Andersen? Severson, Pearson, Terevainen, Maata, Vasilevsky, Ceci or Girgensons? I'm happy Faksa looks as good as he does, but partly because my expectations got lowered so much.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I haven't been high on Dickinson for a while now, and his numbers aren't anything special when compared to his peer group.

I think Dickinson may surprise you. From AHL my viewings, he looks like he has more upside than the numbers would lead you to believe.

He has been the most dynamic-looking forward on the ice...Even more more than Ritchie.

Granted, it's been only 3-4 games that I've viewed, and Shore hasn't been out there to compare him...and he hasn't scored any goals in the games that I've watched.

That said, you can see the potential, and he's starting to put up some numbers.

Do I think he's going to be a top-line guy? No.

He has much more offensive upside than Faksa does though, and I do think the 2nd line is a realistic upside for him.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I think Dickinson may surprise you. From AHL my viewings, he looks like he has more upside than the numbers would lead you to believe.

He has been the most dynamic-looking forward on the ice...Even more more than Ritchie.

Granted, it's been only 3-4 games that I've viewed, and Shore hasn't been out there to compare him...and he hasn't scored any goals in the games that I've watched.

That said, you can see the potential, and he's starting to put up some numbers.

Do I think he's going to be a top-line guy? No.

He has much more offensive upside than Faksa does though, and I do think the 2nd line is a realistic upside for him.

He was a late 1st, but still a 1st round pick, and to what result? Did he dominate junior hockey against his peers? Was he ever the top dog on his own team? Was he selected for Canada's international teams? Everything I hear is 2/3 tweener, and you basically described less physical Nichushkin. His clearest competitor is Shore, and there seems to be a huge gap between the two right now. Obviously Shore is older, but he was taken a round later.

We have a lot of guys who make steady progress but never really dominate at any level, and when it comes to rankings like these that has a bigger impact.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
He was a late 1st, but still a 1st round pick, and to what result? Did he dominate junior hockey against his peers? Was he ever the top dog on his own team? Was he selected for Canada's international teams? Everything I hear is 2/3 tweener, and you basically described less physical Nichushkin. His clearest competitor is Shore, and there seems to be a huge gap between the two right now. Obviously Shore is older, but he was taken a round later.

We have a lot of guys who make steady progress but never really dominate at any level, and when it comes to rankings like these that has a bigger impact.

I wouldn't compare Dickinson to Nuke style-wise. And what's with all of the praise of Nuke's "physical play"? Nichushkin has never struck me as a physical, punishing, or mean player. Dickinson is more like a Faksa-type forward with more of an offensive flair. I do believe he won a Defensive Forward of the Year Award in the OHL/CHL.

I do agree that we have a lot of guys that don't "dominate" at any level. Pollock is the next guy who looks to be on the Ritchie/Dickinson/Faksa/Shore-level of forward prospects (2nd-3rd Line NHL projection), but what do you expect when you don't get top-5 picks ever and consistently whiff on fallers with higher upside like Barzal, Fabrri, Konecny, etc.?

I think we value size too much when drafting forward prospects.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The shine has really worn out on players like Jason Dickinson, Jack Campbell, and Radek Faksa.

lol

a first rounder isnt in the NHL at age 20...... bust!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
The shine has really worn out on players like Jason Dickinson, Jack Campbell, and Radek Faksa.

lol

a first rounder isnt in the NHL at age 20...... bust!

Total bust! haha.

Only 26 points in 37GP as an AHL rookie on a bad team. Might as well let him walk.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I wouldn't compare Dickinson to Nuke style-wise. And what's with all of the praise of Nuke's "physical play"? Nichushkin has never struck me as a physical, punishing, or mean player. Dickinson is more like a Faksa-type forward with more of an offensive flair. I do believe he won a Defensive Forward of the Year Award in the OHL/CHL.

I do agree that we have a lot of guys that don't "dominate" at any level. Pollock is the next guy who looks to be on the Ritchie/Dickinson/Faksa/Shore-level of forward prospects (2nd-3rd Line NHL projection), but what do you expect when you don't get top-5 picks ever and consistently whiff on fallers with higher upside like Barzal, Fabrri, Konecny, etc.?

I think we value size too much when drafting forward prospects.

I realize I meant Janmark with better skating but it was too late.

You and I aren't looking to rate 30 teams based on who has the best prospects, we are thinking about whether our picks are going to become our players one day. That isn't the lens this kind of thing is written through.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Brendan Morrow was a late first round pick, with edge. So was Ott. While they never set the league on fire, with hard work Morrow in particular worked his way up to the 25-30 goal scorer.

If we get anywhere near that with Dickenson someday, I think it will be a good pick.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Brendan Morrow was a late first round pick, with edge. So was Ott. While they never set the league on fire, with hard work Morrow in particular worked his way up to the 25-30 goal scorer.

If we get anywhere near that with Dickenson someday, I think it will be a good pick.

Guys, guys, guys...these player comparisons for Dickinson are WAY off. haha

Dickinson is not at all like Morrow...Morrow was a grinder, who hit like a ton of bricks. He really almost never scored from more than about 8 feet away from the net. Ott was When he first came into the league he had hands of stone. Dickinson at the same age as Morrow is way more of a finesse player.

Ott was as billed...a super pest. Not like Dickinson at all.

If we are going to make comparisons to Dallas Stars players, Dickinson is more along the lines of Eakin or Fiddler...with more potential upside.

Dickinson is a two-way, skilled center (can play wing too...like many centers), who can skate, and be used on special teams due to his strong defensive play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2