OT: Team Canada Selection Discussion (Olympics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's getting closer and closer. I'd assume the management group is looking closely over who to pick.

While I was extremely confident prior to this season, some developments recently have me legitimately concerned about Team Canada's ability to win gold again this time around.

1. The goalie situation. Price's availability is up in the air, and even if he is available, how will he perform? Then you've got guys like Binnington (inconsistent), Kuemper (also inconsistent), Blackwood (really young), etc. It's not a great thing when Mike Smith might legitimately have the best stats over the last 3 years.

2. The defense. What was the cornerstone of those gold medal winning teams is no more. Weber and Seabrook both retired. Pronger and Niedermeyer both long retired. Keith probably not an option anymore. Hamhuis and Bouwmeester, retired. Vlasic and Subban only shadows of their previous selves. Doughty injured and uncertain if his hot start this season was a true renaissance or just a mirage. The guy who was supposed to be the "safe" pick, the returning vet, Pietrangelo ... is no longer elite. The "new guys" - Makar, Nurse, Pelech, Toews, Theodore, Ekblad, etc. - all have their own inconsistencies and issues.

3. Forward balance. There was a time when you immediately knew who to pick on each line. Crosby and Marchand on line 1. Toews on line 3 or 4. Now there are a whole bunch of dynamic offensive talents, but we don't know how they will gel or if we need to pick a "grittier" forward for a certain role.

4. Coach. It used to just be Babcock. Obviously that won't happen this year. You do need someone who can actually devise solid game plans and set up the lines properly. Otherwise you could find yourself Marc Crawford'ing yourself at the Olympics.

5. Quality of the opposition. Canada was a step ahead of every team the last few tournaments. I'm not so sure this is the case anymore. USA, namely, looks really strong (all I really need to say is: Thatcher Demko).

Who would you pick?

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
HC: Jon Cooper (TB)
AC: DeBoer (Vegas)
AC: Trotz (NYI)

Point - McDavid - Mackinnon
Bergeron - Crosby - Marchand
Stone - O'Reilly - Stamkos
Huberdeau - Scheifele - Marner
Coutrier/Tavares

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Makar
Nurse - Eklbad
Rielly

Price
Fleury
Binnington

PP1

McDavid - Crosby - MacKinnon
Stamkos - Makar

PP2

Huberdeau - Point - Marchand
Scheifele - Ekblad

PK1

OReilly - Stone
Chabot - Pietrangelo

PK2

Bergeron - Marchand
Nurse - Ekblad

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Coutrier/Tavares

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Makar
Nurse - Eklbad
Rielly

Price
Fleury
Binnington

PP1

Stamkos - Makar

PP2

Scheifele - Ekblad

PK1

OReilly - Stone
Chabot - Pietrangelo

PK2

Bergeron - Marchand
Nurse - Ekblad

That's what I'm talking about. The defense, no matter how you pick it, is a lot shakier than it was. Meanwhile the forwards have their own question marks as well. And the goaltending is more or less a complete house of cards.

(not a criticism of your picks, just of the quality of players available to choose from)

Reactions: CycloneSweep

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
That's what I'm talking about. The defense, no matter how you pick it, is a lot shakier than it was. Meanwhile the forwards have their own question marks as well. And the goaltending is more or less a complete house of cards.

(not a criticism of your picks, just of the quality of players available to choose from)

We have the number one D man from 4 of the 10 best teams in the league here imo. I do agree the G is shaky this season. Hoping Price can make it back healthy and playing he is the easy choice for a big game player.

Reactions: nabob

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We have the number one D man from 4 of the 10 best teams in the league here imo. I do agree the G is shaky this season. Hoping Price can make it back healthy and playing he is the easy choice for a big game player.
Yeah, but this year's pool of players just doesn't give me the same confidence as in years past. We were lucky because we got to see teams with a collection of HOF caliber players on it. And while this year's pool might eventually have some players that end up HOF-bound as well, I don't think they're all in their prime like those other teams were.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
The forward group is an outstanding mix of talent and proven experience. The 3 or 4 lines that roll up front should be VERY difficult to contend with. This forward group elevates the whole team.

Defense is a new crop with a huge opportunity here. I'm not concerned, rather excited to see which of them stand out in this tourney.

I understand the goaltending concern, as we have no Roy/Brodeur now. I'll be happy with whoever the coaching staff select near-time.
Don't forget Kuemper is the reigning World Champ Goalie. He played great in the knock out games. (went 5-2, 2.17 GAA 0.916 SV%)

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Yeah, but this year's pool of players just doesn't give me the same confidence as in years past. We were lucky because we got to see teams with a collection of HOF caliber players on it. And while this year's pool might eventually have some players that end up HOF-bound as well, I don't think they're all in their prime like those other teams were.

Obviously we don't have Pronger or Niedermeyer - like veterans on this upcoming squad, but it's worth remembering that the core of the 2010 team were just entering their primes back then. Weber, Keith, and Seabrook were in their (I think) 5th pro season, Doughty only in his second. And look at the impact some of those guys had. Hopefully some of the newer guys can step-up in a similar way.

Reactions: oilers'72

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I wouldn't worry that much if I were Canada, you're freakin loaded up front. I'm looking at a centre depth of Zibanejad, Backstrom (IR...), Pettersson (MIA...), ???

It feels like Sochi all over again, when SWE came into the finals with Marcus Kruger as 1C :thumbd:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
There are 2 different pages of Team Canada threads in the International section if you're looking for ideas. People have been picking this team since last summer.

I personally think Canada is the odds on favorite. The goalie situation is not bad at all as I'd be fine with Fleury, Hart, Binnington or Kuemper. The D is ridiculously good.. .best D in tourney along with US and Sweden. Makar is out of this world, toss in a Pietrangelo and it's hard to screw up. C depth is unrivalled (especially if Eichel is out). Wings are stupid good and I imagine some of the Wing's will be 1C's from NHL clubs.

Hockey has shrunk a bit. There are only 5 nations really contending for a Gold - Russia (goalie factory), US (on paper, similarly strong roster to Canada and deep everywhere), Sweden (only other nation with 6D anywhere near Canada or US), Finland (this is a new generation of young and hungry Finns who are awesome) and Canada. I see it is Canada has a 1 in 4 chance of winning Gold while the other 5 nations have a 1 in 5 chance.

All of the non contenders have x factors that could make them a pain in the ass in a 1 game situation... Czechs have an all NHL roster with some nice pieces, Swiss have some awesome forwards and Josi back there (no NHL goalie), Germans have an elite goalie and Drai, Danes have an in form Andersson and some real studs like Ehlers. They could all be a pain in the ass to a big 5 nation in one game.

Curious if JP, Hyman and Nurse make their respective countries. Pretty certain Drai and McD are safe to make their rosters.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah these are my thoughts as well. Defense is not a concern for me at all really, not in the least. We'll easily have the best defense in the tourney.

Tending is a concern though for certain.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yes, the D is a lot younger, which is likely where the your concerns stem from. Each one of them is an all-star level Dman though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes, the D is a lot younger, which is likely where the your concerns stem from. Each one of them is an all-star level Dman though.
Makar and Pietrangelo have not looked good to start this season, that’s part of my concern. They’re our top 2 RD in theory.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
Imagine doubting the Canadian Olympic roster. The defense might be a young group but they're all top players in the league who just aren't proven in these games yet, but they might thrive on that open ice.

Only real concern is the goaltending but I think the skaters will make up for it.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Imagine doubting the Canadian Olympic roster. The defense might be a young group but they're all top players in the league who just aren't proven in these games yet, but they might thrive on that open ice.

Only real concern is the goaltending but I think the skaters will make up for it.
As a poster noted earlier, Mike Smith might be a realistic choice for the team given his attitude etc... I guess a MINOR concern would be him adding games and travel wear onto his already shaky body... Have to handle him carefully this year, don't want him overworked / exhausted for the stretch run.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Coutrier/Tavares

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Makar
Nurse - Eklbad
Rielly

Price
Fleury
Binnington

PP1

Stamkos - Makar

PP2

Scheifele - Ekblad

PK1

OReilly - Stone
Chabot - Pietrangelo

PK2

Bergeron - Marchand
Nurse - Ekblad

Small note: sounds like Stone could be out very long-term. I would have an asterisk beside his name.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think in these short tournaments defense and goaltending is what is necessary to win gold.

At this point in time it doesn't look like Canada have that this time around.

On paper i would place the Americans favorites with guys like Fox, Werenski, McAvoy, Carlson and Hellebuyck, Gibson and Demko in goal.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
There are 2 different pages of Team Canada threads in the International section if you're looking for ideas. People have been picking this team since last summer.

I personally think Canada is the odds on favorite. The goalie situation is not bad at all as I'd be fine with Fleury, Hart, Binnington or Kuemper. The D is ridiculously good.. .best D in tourney along with US and Sweden. Makar is out of this world, toss in a Pietrangelo and it's hard to screw up. C depth is unrivalled (especially if Eichel is out). Wings are stupid good and I imagine some of the Wing's will be 1C's from NHL clubs.

Hockey has shrunk a bit. There are only 5 nations really contending for a Gold - Russia (goalie factory), US (on paper, similarly strong roster to Canada and deep everywhere), Sweden (only other nation with 6D anywhere near Canada or US), Finland (this is a new generation of young and hungry Finns who are awesome) and Canada. I see it is Canada has a 1 in 4 chance of winning Gold while the other 5 nations have a 1 in 5 chance.

All of the non contenders have x factors that could make them a pain in the ass in a 1 game situation... Czechs have an all NHL roster with some nice pieces, Swiss have some awesome forwards and Josi back there (no NHL goalie), Germans have an elite goalie and Drai, Danes have an in form Andersson and some real studs like Ehlers. They could all be a pain in the ass to a big 5 nation in one game.

Curious if JP, Hyman and Nurse make their respective countries. Pretty certain Drai and McD are safe to make their rosters.
They already made it, both McDavid and Draisaitl were part of the first selection of 3 players for their countries (McDavid, Crosby, Pietroangelo / Draisaitl, Seider, Grubauer).

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
You could split Canada into 3 teams (Western, Ontario and Eastern) and all 3 teams would be favorites to win the gold.
Probably true but always nice to see this comments before a tournament and then read the comments after a tournament when Canada loses.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Makar and Pietrangelo have not looked good to start this season, that’s part of my concern. They’re our top 2 RD in theory.
Vegas has been ravaged by injuries. Pietrangelo's got 27 SOG (1 behind Nurse, a few up on Fox just for example), he's still averaging >25 minutes, and the few Vegas games I watched he looked fine.

Makar has 2 G and 6 Points in 8 GP, I dunno was he playing that bad?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

Coutrier/Tavares

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Makar
Nurse - Eklbad
Rielly

Price
Fleury
Binnington

PP1

Stamkos - Makar

PP2

Scheifele - Ekblad

PK1

OReilly - Stone
Chabot - Pietrangelo

PK2

Bergeron - Marchand
Nurse - Ekblad

i have a similar make up but with the doughty injury i have the exact same D. I also think its Price/Fleury as the goalies. the 3rd will be whomever the Canada brass thinks will be the next in line which if i had to guess with be Carter Hart

I dont see the D as a weakness because they are all fantastic skaters and puck movers. On the olympic ice that is the key. Puck possesion.

I do wonder about Bergeron, he is slowing down quite a bit. I hope hes top of his game because he is a great leader and it would be awesome for 97 to be around him

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I think in these short tournaments defense and goaltending is what is necessary to win gold.

At this point in time it doesn't look like Canada have that this time around.

On paper i would place the Americans favorites with guys like Fox, Werenski, McAvoy, Carlson and Hellebuyck, Gibson and Demko in goal.

I agree on the goaltenders,

but aside from Fox im taking 6 canadian Dmen over the other 3.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad