Team Board Mock Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What bust will the Avalanche draft?

• Beau Akey, D, Barrie Colts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kalan Lind, F, Red Deer Rebels

• Theo Lindstein, D, Brynäs IF

• Jayden Perron, F, Chicago Steel

• Caden Price, D, Kelowna Rockets

• Gracyn Sawchyn, C, Seattle Thunderbirds

• Charlie Stramel, F, Wisconsin

• Koehn Ziemmer,RW, Prince George Cougars

• Bradly Nadeau, C, Penticton Vees

• Danny Nelson, F, USNTP

• Anton Wahlberg,C, Malmö Redhawks J20

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Daniil But should absolutely be the pick. I've been watching him a lot recently and I really like this kid. Position need and 'Russian Factor' be damned.

Could be an absolute home run. Player who's 6'5 but has the skillset of a traditional 5'10 winger. But's got great hockey sense, great anticipation, great vision, excellent hands, strong along the walls, creates space for his linemates. No compete issues and can be physical when needed. Shot's just ok, not a muffin but I do wish it was more of a weapon.

Skating is the biggest area he'll need to improve, but he's got pretty decent feet for a big man. How much he can improve his small area quickness will ultimately determine his potential IMO. Lower end is top 9 guy who can play up and down your lineup, ceiling is a star. Would not bat an eye if an NHL team used a top 10 pick on But.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Edstrom is my pick off this list (missing some names that I think should be considered). There is a lot of Eriksson Ek in his game. I don't think he gets enough credit for his offense because he's a very north/south player who is not always looking to make the most creative or nifty play... he's trying to get things on net and get to work. His shot is going to work in the NHL and I think there's a solid chance at a 20-25g guy. He's got fantastic compete and is probably defensively capable enough to play a bottom 6 NHL role today (he should stay in Sweden another year to develop his offense). He doesn't have super high upside (not going to be a #1C IMO), but if he hits he's a very solid #2C that you can matchup against top lines.

But is in freefall here and is the most talented player left by a good margin. I fully get the desire for him... but another toolsy winger with questions is not what the Avs need in their pool. Hrabal would be a solid choice too.

If this is how it played out, I think the Avs would be grabbing Molendyk.

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022

• Haha
Reactions: Hasbro

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Wahlberg, Nadeau, Nelson, and Rehkopf to name a few. I'm a huge fan of Perron, but I don't see how he's an option on here, but Rehkopf is left off.

FTR I'd still choose Edstrom, but those 4 I'd choose over a lot of guys on this list.

Believe it was more of a reference of guy left off than Edstrom.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Edstrom is my pick off this list (missing some names that I think should be considered). There is a lot of Eriksson Ek in his game. I don't think he gets enough credit for his offense because he's a very north/south player who is not always looking to make the most creative or nifty play... he's trying to get things on net and get to work. His shot is going to work in the NHL and I think there's a solid chance at a 20-25g guy. He's got fantastic compete and is probably defensively capable enough to play a bottom 6 NHL role today (he should stay in Sweden another year to develop his offense). He doesn't have super high upside (not going to be a #1C IMO), but if he hits he's a very solid #2C that you can matchup against top lines.

But is in freefall here and is the most talented player left by a good margin. I fully get the desire for him... but another toolsy winger with questions is not what the Avs need in their pool. Hrabal would be a solid choice too.

If this is how it played out, I think the Avs would be grabbing Molendyk.
Pretty much on the same page here. Edstrom would be my second choice and I would endorse that pick. The Avs haven't had a player like that in a long time. Hrabal's fine. Just not as exciting since the impact is 3 years away at minimum, but he looks the part to me. It's between those 3 for me. I still go the upside of But, but I suppose that's a philosophical debate.

The reason I'm quoting your post though is the Molendyk comment. A small 4/5 puck moving defenseman. Talk about something the Avs don't need in their pool.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Quite a few players I’d take over Edstrom here. Going with Fisker Mølgaard.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He won't make noise when he starts up.
tumblr_nl0m31LFUb1qf5do9o1_500.gif

Reactions: CaleMakaw

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Always interesting on these threads how people who are never on that team's forum come into vote. :laugh:
I was an Avs fan before I started caring about the Canucks (which only happened because I’m from BC and geographically it’s the team that makes sense). I’m never active on the NHL forums (neither Avs not Canucks), generally only here for the prospects talk. I felt like I was still allowed to vote for my favourite team, but I’m happy to remove my vote if that isn’t the case.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Will Fisker stay a center?
He's kinda in a weird spot. He can win battles, has a smaller frame but will fill out to 185ish, skates well but not high end, very smart and has a great motor... just not a lot screams he's a sure thing at center. I don't think there is a ton of offensive talent there either. His shot is borderline bad and his hands don't flash (has some playmaking talent). A lot gets made that he played the year with HV71, but it really wasn't a strong year. He was in and out of the lineup, had a stretch where he was on the 2nd line (wing) and a long stretch where he was the 4C with some 3C duties. HV71 was a pretty bad team and I won't put it all on him, but he was pinned a lot in the defensive zone without showing much driving or transition ability from the pivot.

This is a long way of saying, if he does, he's probably an effort 3C guy who is not a play driver and a good to very good defensive center. He actually reminds me a lot of an old name... Sammy Pahlsson.

I was an Avs fan before I started caring about the Canucks (which only happened because I’m from BC and geographically it’s the team that makes sense). I’m never active on the NHL forums (neither Avs not Canucks), generally only here for the prospects talk. I felt like I was still allowed to vote for my favourite team, but I’m happy to remove my vote if that isn’t the case.
I'm not at all saying remove your vote, just a comment on when these things come around there are votes from those who are never on this forum. Your vote is just as valid as anybody else's IMO.

Reactions: pgfan66

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Heidt would be another very Avs pick... a western Canadian league kid who is 5'10" and is a supposedly great skater that will thrive at center. :laugh:

Like Jost/Newhook, I think Heidt would be fine on the wing. He's not a center long term with this skill set. IMO he doesn't have enough flash offensively for me to get excited about him on the wing though and he's not good enough defensively to raise the floor enough. I'd rather go full risk on Perron or full safe on Molgaard.

Reactions: 95snipes

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Another Jost/Newhook
At 27 those would be solid picks tbh, but imo Heidt has more skill and a well rounded play style to fit up and down the lineup

And technically 5'10.5 lol. Thick frame like Neighbours though and amazing character kid. A more physical Krebs is who I see

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
At 27 those would be solid picks tbh, but imo Heidt has more skill and a well rounded play style to fit up and down the lineup

And technically 5'10.5 lol. Thick frame like Neighbours though and amazing character kid. A more physical Krebs is who I see
It would be a baffling pick. Jost is already on his 3rd team and with the talent Buffalo has coming up, he won't be there much longer. Newhook could still boom (meaning 50-60 points), but odds are against it and he's a player in virtually every fan's trade proposal. Next year he's coming into his D+5 and it's becoming more and more apparent he's a grinder and not a particularly good one.

Heidt has some skill, but has virtually the exact same issues those two do. How can you keep trying something that clearly isn't working yet again?

There is quality depth well into the 40s in this draft so no excuse not to come out with a quality player. Of all the options listed, Heidt would be towards the bottom for me.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
They probably should trade down. Usually I’d say someone needs the first round pedigree to be taken seriously but at this point two options is better than one.
This is where I'm at also. If at #27 there isn't a player the Avs' like, find a dance partner and trade back. Maybe for two 2nd round picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad