Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Lightning re-sign Nikita Kucherov (3 years, $4.766M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Agreed. This deal was, IMO, very key for us, because it gets us past the expansion draft, which has rendered several of our contracts unmovable.

We might end up losing a player or two, but I don't think there's going to be pressure to "downgrade" at a position in order to keep everyone. We'll likely have adequate replacements for everyone we have to move out, when the time comes. This deal buys us three years to keep developing and assessing, but we shouldn't have a problem giving Kucherov a 4m raise when it's up.

The Kucherov deal is Tampa's probable Cup window. Obviously, they can open another window and prospects can unexpectedly develop, but they will almost certainly have to take a step back when they have to give Kucherov a big raise.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Sorry meant to say which ones are left to sign to keep the core together.

Palat, Johnson, and Drouin are the big ones in the upcoming summer. Bishop too but it's pretty much agreed that he won't be resigned.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Kucherov deal is Tampa's probable Cup window. Obviously, they can open another window and prospects can unexpectedly develop, but they will almost certainly have to take a step back when they have to give Kucherov a big raise.

That's just not true. At least, not with $. If some players are underperforming, then it might be true. But I mean, a Callahan buyout in 2019 gets us enough to give Kucherov a raise, if we're strapped for cash. By then, the rest of the core will be under contract. The only real X-factor will be Drouin, who's likely getting a bridge deal.

People keep saying TB's going to fall apart at any minute, but Yzerman keeps building a stronger and stronger team.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That's just not true. At least, not with $. If some players are underperforming, then it might be true. But I mean, a Callahan buyout in 2019 gets us enough to give Kucherov a raise, if we're strapped for cash. By then, the rest of the core will be under contract. The only real X-factor will be Drouin, who's likely getting a bridge deal.

People keep saying TB's going to fall apart at any minute, but Yzerman keeps building a stronger and stronger team.

Tampa will need to make decisions in 2017 and 2018 on who they kero snd who they trade because they will not be able to afgord them sall.

If you think in 2019 the cap is around $79M. $45M fir forwards, the rest for D/G.

A team can afgord about 4 forwards making $7M on combned avg. About 4 players taking $28M leaves $17M fir 10 forwards. If 4 are around $2.5M, then the rest are ELC/$1M.

Paying a 5th player around $6M leaves 9 to split $11M.

Tampa will need to trade players finishing bridges to restock the pipe.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tampa will need to make decisions in 2017 and 2018 on who they kero snd who they trade because they will not be able to afgord them sall.

If you think in 2019 the cap is around $79M. $45M fir forwards, the rest for D/G.

A team can afgord about 4 forwards making $7M on combned avg. About 4 players taking $28M leaves $17M fir 10 forwards. If 4 are around $2.5M, then the rest are ELC/$1M.

I think you're over-estimating what some of these players will be paid. I also think you're over-estimating the damage it'll do to TB's core to lose a single player, or two players. If we're somehow forced to trade Hedman, then fine, the window might close in three years. But Hedman's not going anywhere, and we're a pretty deep team, with a good prospect pool.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Sure we'll have to make a trade, would involve trading the Garrison's, Coburn's Fippula's and Callahan's before Palat, Johnson or Drouin (all 3 of which we can afford by moving 1 or 2 of the above).

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

Even if we trade one of our core guys, I'm feeling pretty damn good about Gusev/Raddysh/Point filling some holes.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Cap worries two seasons from now seems so far away, considering Yzerman has shown the ability to sign players at a discount and find cheaper talent pretty much at his whim.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Palat, Johnson, and Drouin are the big ones in the upcoming summer. Bishop too but it's pretty much agreed that he won't be resigned.

Everyone freaks out about these 2...however I do not think either one of them will get much of a raise. They are important pieces of the young core, but neither one of them has produced much this season, and Johnson had a bad year last year too. I think 1 mil extra (4.5 range) each is realistic, which does not tie Yzerman's hands too much.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Everyone freaks out about these 2...however I do not think either one of them will get much of a raise. They are important pieces of the young core, but neither one of them has produced much this season, and Johnson had a bad year last year too. I think 1 mil extra (4.5 range) each is realistic, which does not tie Yzerman's hands too much.

That was before Johnson went on a point-per-game playoff run. Again.

And Palat starts every year slow. This is just what he does. He racks up points after January.

While I don't think either guy will break the bank, I do think they'll get substantial raises. But, after the expansion draft, TB will be in a much better position to accommodate them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad