Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] D J.J. Moser re-signs with the Lightning (2 years, $3.375M AAV)

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
This guy can't play defence. So weak in his own zone, I attribute it to him being small.
He's 6'1, 180. Is that small?
He can probably pass as a #4 on a contender. However, if he is on your top pair you won't be winning any Stanley Cups.
Looking at the TBL roster, I still see Victor Hedman, Ryan McDonagh and Erik Cernak, which means JJ Moser is ... *checks notes* ... the #4 defenseman.

Moser is mad underrated. Now that he's out of Arizona, East coast fans will notice him.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
He's 6'1, 180. Is that small?

Looking at the TBL roster, I still see Victor Hedman, Ryan McDonagh and Erik Cernak, which means JJ Moser is ... *checks notes* ... the #4 defenseman.

Moser is mad underrated. Now that he's out of Arizona, East coast fans will notice him.
I'd say he is closer to 170. Pretty small for a guy who is 6'1...

He was put in a position to fail last season in Arizona. He was played as a top 2 D-man and was not suited for the role. I promise you I have watched him play a lot more than you have in the past 3 years.

Andrzej

Jul 8, 2024
Hi,

At 6'1" and 180 pounds, JJ Moser is slightly lean for an NHL defenseman compared to players like Victor Hedman, Ryan McDonagh, and Erik Cernak. Despite being underrated and miscast in a top-pair role in Arizona, Moser's skills and potential can now shine on the East Coast, where he has a better chance to thrive and gain recognition.

Jack ;)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This guy can't play defence. So weak in his own zone, I attribute it to him being small. He can probably pass as a #4 on a contender. However, if he is on your top pair you won't be winning any Stanley Cups.
I appreciate the assessment if this is indeed accurate. I hate to say it but the same goes for Sergachev. I don't think people realize just how many unforced mistakes he makes trying to be too fancy. Or just being flat out negligent. The Lightning surrendered 11 shorthanded goals the year they tried Sergachev on their primary power play. To say it could have been as high as 20 is not exaggerating because Sergachev so often either wasn't paying attention or did something that was completely unnecessary

Reactions: Half Clapper

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
This guy can't play defence. So weak in his own zone, I attribute it to him being small. He can probably pass as a #4 on a contender. However, if he is on your top pair you won't be winning any Stanley Cups.
Not at all true. He's better defensively than any other defenseman on Utah was consistently with the exception of Durzi at his peak and he'll be solid on Tampa. He makes a good outlet pass and is generally poised and calm under pressure. He isn't the type of net front player who clears the crease but his stickwork is solid and he rarely makes bad positional plays and when he does he hustles back and isn't afraid to sacrifice the body. He's the ideal 2nd pairing d-man at 24 and he'll only get better.

You can literally just look at his metrics in Arizona, one of the worst defensive teams in the league, if you want proof.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I'd say he is closer to 170. Pretty small for a guy who is 6'1...

He was put in a position to fail last season in Arizona. He was played as a top 2 D-man and was not suited for the role. I promise you I have watched him play a lot more than you have in the past 3 years.
Lmao you're literally saying this to ck26 of all people. Hilarious. I know you were an ARI fan too and I appreciate that you moved with the team but absolutely no need to shit on other fans just because you have a different opinion. I can promise you you haven't watched more games of him than every single Arizona/Utah fan has.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I appreciate the assessment if this is indeed accurate. I hate to say it but the same goes for Sergachev. I don't think people realize just how many unforced mistakes he makes trying to be too fancy. Or just being flat out negligent. The Lightning surrendered 11 shorthanded goals the year they tried Sergachev on their primary power play. To say it could have been as high as 20 is not exaggerating because Sergachev so often either wasn't paying attention or did something that was completely unnecessary
He's better defensively than Sergachev was, except possibly at his peak. He should be solid offensively as well if he gets PP time on PP2, may even end up supplanting Hedman on PP1 but unlikely. He's a pretty solid 5v5 producer though so I think you'll be quite happy with him if you give him opportunities, especially at this price. He definitely has potential to be a solid 50pt two way d-man.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Not at all true. He's better defensively than any other defenseman on Utah was consistently with the exception of Durzi at his peak and he'll be solid on Tampa. He makes a good outlet pass and is generally poised and calm under pressure. He isn't the type of net front player who clears the crease but his stickwork is solid and he rarely makes bad positional plays and when he does he hustles back and isn't afraid to sacrifice the body. He's the ideal 2nd pairing d-man at 24 and he'll only get better.

You can literally just look at his metrics in Arizona, one of the worst defensive teams in the league, if you want proof.

what metrics? he was the worst defender on the coyotes and both durzi and dumba put up better numbers away from him than with him (with kesselring and valimaki respectively, so not particularly great defenders)

he's a small defender with an okay first pass. he's not secretly a top pairing dman

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
He's better defensively than Sergachev was, except possibly at his peak. He should be solid offensively as well if he gets PP time on PP2, may even end up supplanting Hedman on PP1 but unlikely. He's a pretty solid 5v5 producer though so I think you'll be quite happy with him if you give him opportunities, especially at this price. He definitely has potential to be a solid 50pt two way d-man.
Lmao you're literally saying this to ck26 of all people. Hilarious. I know you were an ARI fan too and I appreciate that you moved with the team but absolutely no need to shit on other fans just because you have a different opinion. I can promise you you haven't watched more games of him than every single Arizona/Utah fan has.
I have watched 95% of Arizona games over the past 3 years. I have only been a fan since 21' yes, but I am more die-hard than most. I am not shitting on anybody. If I was shitting on you or your buddies I'd be banned permanently from this site, trust me lol.

I haven't watched much of Sergachev, so I can't comment there, but I have never been a fan of Moser, and Bill Armstrong isn't either or there is no shot he would have traded him if he viewed him the same as you. I know you got your opinion on this player, and opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one, but man does yours really stink!!!

Last edited:

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Imo, Moser is absolute crap on the PP and no way will he get time there in Tampa. I think he is a slighlty above average on defense despite poor analytics, but will get pushed around for sure on D.
He is definitely a positive asset but people here are inflating him alot.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
what metrics? he was the worst defender on the coyotes and both durzi and dumba put up better numbers away from him than with him (with kesselring and valimaki respectively, so not particularly great defenders)

he's a small defender with an okay first pass. he's not secretly a top pairing dman
He literally wasn't, so I don't know where you're getting your stats. They literally have almost the exact same metrics in all columns except for PP where Durzi has triple the minutes and much better metrics than Moser.

It's a joke that you somehow think Dumba was better than him when anyone who watched the team knew that Dumba was hot garbage 90% of the time AND all of his metrics are easily worse than Moser's both offensively and defensively. Dumba was even sheltered as much as possible and he still wasn't great.

Moser is on par with Durzi at ES, anyone who says otherwise is just drinking the kool-aid. They're extremely similar players and Moser's only difference is that Durzi is better on the PP and is a year older and double the money. Moser could absolutely be putting up the same numbers as Durzi given the opportunity, literally the only difference is points is the 30 PP points Durzi has over Moser.

There's no reason Moser shouldn't be able to play on the PP in Tampa and put up numbers there, but considering he costs 3m less than Durzi and is a year younger and still going to be an RFA at the end of the contract...yes he's more valuable than Durzi is right now. Both the eye test and advanced stats support my argument, they're almost the exact same player but Moser is likely better defensively than Durzi because he wants to pinch less and doesn't have a history of being bad defensively like Durzi does.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
He literally wasn't, so I don't know where you're getting your stats. They literally have almost the exact same metrics in all columns except for PP where Durzi has triple the minutes and much better metrics than Moser.

It's a joke that you somehow think Dumba was better than him when anyone who watched the team knew that Dumba was hot garbage 90% of the time AND all of his metrics are easily worse than Moser's both offensively and defensively. Dumba was even sheltered as much as possible and he still wasn't great.

cite your metrics?

he was 4th in cf%, 5th in xfg% and 7th in gf%. he's an okay defender but his size and lack of defensive presence hold him back. you can do worse on your second pair but he's not a guy anyone should really want to see playing regular minutes

i also never said dumba was worse than him. i said dumba put up better results with valimaki than he did with moser. dumba is obviously a bad player and probably done in the nhl

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
cite your metrics?

he was 4th in cf%, 5th in xfg% and 7th in gf%. he's an okay defender but his size and lack of defensive presence hold him back. you can do worse on your second pair but he's not a guy anyone should really want to see playing regular minutes

i also never said dumba was worse than him. i said dumba put up better results with valimaki than he did with moser. dumba is obviously a bad player and probably done in the nhl
naturalstattrick has him above durzi in some metrics and slightly below durzi in others, they are universally almost 1 and 2 next to each other when comparing arizona players outside of some defensive situations and PP where durzi is better or other dmen like kesselring and brown are better

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
naturalstattrick has him above durzi in some metrics and slightly below durzi in others, they are universally almost 1 and 2 next to each other when comparing arizona players outside of some defensive situations and PP where durzi is better or other dmen like kesselring and brown are better

if this is true just write down the metrics

why is this so hard

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

Moser is on par with Durzi at ES, anyone who says otherwise is just drinking the kool-aid. They're extremely similar players and Moser's only difference is that Durzi is better on the PP and is a year older and double the money. Moser could absolutely be putting up the same numbers as Durzi given the opportunity, literally the only difference is points is the 30 PP points Durzi has over Moser.

There's no reason Moser shouldn't be able to play on the PP in Tampa and put up numbers there, but considering he costs 3m less than Durzi and is a year younger and still going to be an RFA at the end of the contract...yes he's more valuable than Durzi is right now. Both the eye test and advanced stats support my argument, they're almost the exact same player but Moser is likely better defensively than Durzi because he wants to pinch less and doesn't have a history of being bad defensively like Durzi does.

Let me get this straight…,

So you are literally saying that he is good 👍! And you literally saying he is not bad!

And you are basing this on “(almost)” exact metrics….

Then youR literally saying he would have more points if he got 3x times more time on the power play.

Well that literally settles the matter up quite nicely!

I think 🤔 he’s a good player and I’m looking forward to seeing him play in Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad