Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] D J.J. Moser re-signs with the Lightning (2 years, $3.375M AAV)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was guessing JBB wanted 3 x 3.5 so this seems about right.
Why would TB want to walk him right to ufa? Teams always save that last rfa year. Also enables to do a new deal a year from now to add onto the final year. 2 years made sense as it gives Moser a chance to get acclimated without the pressure of a contract year in year one with another team.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Solid, but only two years stings. He knows he's going to cash in BIG TIME.

Luckily RFA still at the end of this. He's also unlikely to get the minutes and quality time he got in Arizona.

Long term hunch is he'll ask for a trade if he's not getting 20+ minutes in 25-26

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Solid, but only two years stings. He knows he's going to cash in BIG TIME.
He was 21 when drafted in 2021. Which is why he’s like maybe the first player drafted in the 202x’s to be arbitration eligible as you need either like 4 nhl seasons or be 24.

So he’s 3 years away from ufa.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I wonder if Moser used the fabled Calculators? Maybe that's why he took so much less

Why would TB want to walk him right to ufa? Teams always save that last rfa year. Also enables to do a new deal a year from now to add onto the final year. 2 years made sense as it gives Moser a chance to get acclimated without the pressure of a contract year in year one with another team.
He's going to be a RFA at the end of the contract.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
To me this says he's getting the McDonagh contract after 2 years and McDonagh will take this deal for his last years. So they are essentially swapping contracts while Moser hopefully keeps improving and McDonagh will eventually decline. Hedman is also only getting a slight raise after next season so the left side is set cap wise for the foreseeable future. Now they can worry about cap in other areas of need like an upgrade at RD and a 3C.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Moser played over 20 minutes per game each of the last 2 seasons for the Coyotes. Arizona didn't have many good defensemen, but he's definitely worth more than this.

That said, minutes will be reduced with Tampa for the time being, so this is a great deal for the team. If he's worth it 2 years from now, McDonagh is off the books so they can lock him up long-term.

Overall, I think this Sergachev to (basically) McDonagh + Moser swap worked out well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder what his asking price was on a long term deal
They’d have to first agree on what he’s realistically going to be. Player may think he’s a #2 going forward whereas the team thinks he’s a #3. Have to agree on that first before you go really long term.

Bridge gets them more data to make that decision later. Let's TB assess how he fits in.

Reactions: Nucker101

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Slightly higher than we were hoping for, leaves little room to fill out the top-6.

Hope he’s good.
Why do you say it slightly higher than you were hoping if you don't know how good or bad he is.?

This a great AAV for him, really underrated defender.

This is going to look like an absolute steal after most outside of Arizona (now Utah) realize how good this guy is next year.

That trade was robbery by Tbay.
A solid 2nd. pairing.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Why do you say it slightly higher than you were hoping if you don't know how good or bad he is.?

A solid 2nd. pairing.

Because we need every dollar we can get and initial projections were $2.5M-$3M. Obviously not a big deal though.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
3.375 x 2.
Lilly got 3 in a high tax market

The very accurate cap friendly calculator which shows a clear and indisputable no state tax advantage. It is not working now.

I think that would be about 3.9 in a high tax market

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Disgustingly good deal for Tampa. He isn't 3m worse than Durzi. Really fantastic deal for them. If Utah weren't willing to pay this they should be tarred and feathered. I'd take 3 Mosers over 1 Sergachev all day.

Reactions: ultra63

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
This guy can't play defence. So weak in his own zone, I attribute it to him being small. He can probably pass as a #4 on a contender. However, if he is on your top pair you won't be winning any Stanley Cups.

• Haha
Reactions: BruinLVGA and ck26

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
This guy can't play defence. So weak in his own zone, I attribute it to him being small. He can probably pass as a #4 on a contender. However, if he is on your top pair you won't be winning any Stanley Cups.
Hedman is the 1LD and McDonagh the 2LD so we’re good I guess. Moser will likely anchor the the 3rd pairing as 3LD and get a couple shifts per game on the right side. Cooper - for whatever reason - is not a fan of playing defensemen on their “unnatural” side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad