Confirmed with Link: [TBL/CAR] Lightning trade 2025 3rd for Jake Guentzel

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
If we lose Stamkos, i again wonder if we will go after Bertuzzi. I mean Guentzel+Stamkos > Guentzel+Bertuzzi, but since Stamkos has apparently had sex with JBB's wife, and is being banished for it, how can we do better?

Hagel-Point-Kucherov
Guentzel-Cirelli-Bertuzzi

I mean... it's not the best top6 in the league, but I think it's contender quality. Of course the bottom six and defense still aren't.
That would definitely be one of the best top6 in the league IMO.

That said, Bertuzzi priced himself out of Tor, so I doubt we would have the cap space for him. Reports say he might head to a team in the West

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Errm… That’s not really “taking advantage of our favorable tax situation” JBB was talking about a day ago.
It's expected to be in that range, yeah.
Guentzel didn't agree on a 8x8 by Car, so us being able to offer him only 7 years instead of 8... That will be the ballpark.
It's unusual for top FA players to take much of a discount, they know they have most of the leverage.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I don't care if its $9.25 million AAV if true. Jake is a friggin thoroughbred when it comes to playoff hockey. Absolutely built for it. It'll be the best money we've ever spent. I would compare it to Point but he's not been good since we won our Cups
Totally agree. And overall as a player, his hockey IQ will only be second to Kuch.
Can't wait to see what these two can come up with together, gonna be spectacular.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Tampa Bay Times had a great line about this, if Stamkos leaves.

"If you take all the emotion out of the equation, I would say the Lightning are a better team today than they were when the season ended. If it works out that they swapped Stamkos, Sergachev and Jeannot for Ryan McDonagh, J.J. Moser and Guentzel that would be a net gain."

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
If we lose Stamkos, i again wonder if we will go after Bertuzzi. I mean Guentzel+Stamkos > Guentzel+Bertuzzi, but since Stamkos has apparently had sex with JBB's wife, and is being banished for it, how can we do better?

Hagel-Point-Kucherov
Guentzel-Cirelli-Bertuzzi

I mean... it's not the best top6 in the league, but I think it's contender quality. Of course the bottom six and defense still aren't.
Issue is with Kuecherov, Hedman, Vasilevski, and Point at the point in their careers they are, it is going to be tough to fill the bottom 6 with top line quality. Only way that happens is if some players take less money for location. FLA has that going on now, they are getting players that want to stay in Sunrise because of the lifestyle and tax situation, that is worth money. But enough???

JBB make Yzerman look sentimental and warm...

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Of the 5 suitors for Stamkos there are two that I think Stamkos would go to: Detroit or NJ.

I can see him being brought in by Yzerman to provide leadership and PP scoring, but not be "the guy". NJ I can see him there as well, but would he be content in NJ being a complementary player to Hughes and Timmo?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
NJ because of Palat, but I feel like they are already regretting that contract and don't wanna make another mistake. Maybe they are though

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Apparently, Guentzel signed for 63M for 7 years.

I will bet that Stamkos resigns or more likely goes to DET to join Yzerman and take DET over the top.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If I'm Stamkos, I go to Vegas tbh. They circumvent the cap so there's familiarity in win at all costs. There's a fairly short, but high level of success. You've got captain material everywhere. They have marquee players and a coach that's familiar with utilizing guys like that in Cassidy.

My heart says he goes to Detroit though. He might look at that with Yzerman and realize he's a legit component to develop some guys, compete for a playoff spot, and be part of getting Detroit back on track. If Yzerman keeps improving the team and offers Stamkos a 5 year contract, he's going to have probably 2 years where they can hit contender level if they trend upward. There's also the short term allure of playing with Kane if you're not playing with Kucherov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad