Proposal: TBL-BUF (Off-Season, Pre-Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Value wise there's not too much wrong with most of the iterations of this trade throughout the thread. Bottom line, it just doesn't make a lot of sense for Buffalo to add JT Miller if they plan to re-sign Skinner this year, and Reinhart next year. That's two wingers who could be making a combined 16-17 million very soon... at a time when Mittelstadt's ELC would have expired as well.

JT Miller has a great contract (any 50-60 point forward making under 6.0 through their age 25-29 seasons is a bargain these days)... I just don't think Buffalo is in a position to take the deal.

Although, one could make the argument that Miller's deal will be so favorable in another year or two, that he'd be easy to flip if needed for cap purposes.

I think with Berglund gone, Buffalo could fit him in? Unless my figures are off.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
If this trade is done, Buffalo's forward group is:

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Okposo
Thompson - Miller - Nylander
Larsson - Girgensons - Sobotka
Rodrigues - Callahan

That's not that bad of a forward core compared to before using superstars such as Nolan, Josefson and Pouliot. All of your lines are interchangable, with the major exception being the top line with is mostly set. And barring injuries, you have competent replacements (IE if Skinner gets hurt you move Miller up, and plug in Sobotka or Callahan or Rodrigues in to 3C)

I was thinking putting him on Middlestats RW? How good o
Is Miller at center vs wing?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think with Berglund gone, Buffalo could fit him in? Unless my figures are off.

Yea, I'm sure they could squeeze and make the numbers work. Berglund gone certainly helps long term.

I think the real question is whether you think he can be a center or not. If he can... Im in. If he's not a solution to the stupid hole we created, then I pass. If we can get Callahan out of the deal... and just trade the SJ 1st for Miller (as a center)... I'm listening.

19-20
Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Miller-Okposo
Olofsson-Mittelstadt-Nylander
Thompson-Larsson-Girgs
x Erod, Wilson, Sobotka

Reactions: sabrescupbound

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I was think about this trade again today. If I'm Buffalo and Tampa comes at me with this trade, I'd want Callahan at full price and 725 k held from Millers contract making it 4.5 mil if Buffalo can make it work. I'd want little cap relief long term to make it easier when guys like Reinhart and Dahlin resign. Plus, it gives him greater trade value if Buffalo ever had to trade him. So my counter would be

Callahan
Miller at 4.5 mil
For
SJ 1st.

We take the cap dump to get Miller at a great value.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I was think about this trade again today. If I'm Buffalo and Tampa comes at me with this trade, I'd want Callahan at full price and 725 k held from Millers contract making it 4.5 mil if Buffalo can make it work. I'd want little cap relief long term to make it easier when guys like Reinhart and Dahlin resign. Plus, it gives him greater trade value if Buffalo ever had to trade him. So my counter would be

Callahan
Miller at 4.5 mil
For
SJ 1st.

I'd do it.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
While the idea of helping TB sign Point causes me anxiety, the reality is that someone is going to do it. Why shouldnt we benefit from taking Callahan and letting him play 45mins from home in his twilight? The Miller+Callahan with $ retained on JTs contract for the latest of our 3 first rounders does make sense. I would want some caveats in there to sweeten the deal a little more from our perspective (Ex. if TB makes the SC final we swap a 2nd and a 3rd or something like that)

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Callahan
Miller at 4.5 mil
For
SJ 1st.

Zero chance we retain on Miller.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
While the idea of helping TB sign Point causes me anxiety, the reality is that someone is going to do it. Why shouldnt we benefit from taking Callahan and letting him play 45mins from home in his twilight? The Miller+Callahan with $ retained on JTs contract for the latest of our 3 first rounders does make sense. I would want some caveats in there to sweeten the deal a little more from our perspective (Ex. if TB makes the SC final we swap a 2nd and a 3rd or something like that)

It is completely unrealistic to think we would retain on Miller for four years, much less to think we would be the ones having to add additional sweeteners to the deal.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd do it.

Why? It would be better to retain on Callahan for just one year than Miller for 4. Plus Miller himself has more value than just a late 1st. At the draft he could get a pick in the mid to late teens from a team looking to win sooner. Callahan will be much easier to move in the summer and a buyout saves us over 3mil so that's an option. Callahan could be traded with some retention like 1.2 + 5th to Arizona for a 6th then from Arizona to a team he wants to play for with 50% retained for something of value.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
750k to save 11 million? I think they might.

First of all Miller is not a cap dump - we can easily trade him without any retention at all AND get better value than Buffalo would likely give us in the process. And second we’d be better off buying Callahan out and dealing with dead cap for a single season than adding nearly a million dollars in dead cap for the next four years. Teams retain on expiring contracts and cap dumps; if you want longterm retention on a good player you can expect to pay dearly for it - if you can get it at all (which given our cap situation is highly unlikely in this case.)

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
First of all Miller is not a cap dump - we can easily trade him without any retention at all AND get better value than Buffalo would likely give us in the process. And second we’d be better off buying Callahan out and dealing with dead cap for a single season than adding nearly a million dollars in dead cap for the next four years. Teams retain on expiring contracts and cap dumps; if you want longterm retention on a good player you can expect to pay dearly for it - if you can get it at all (which given our cap situation is highly unlikely in this case.)

Never said he was a cap dump. If you trade Miller seperatly, you might get a little more than a 1st but not much if anything. Then you terminate Callahan contract which would cost 2.9 million for the next two years. I'm think 750k over 4 years is better.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Never said he was a cap dump. If you trade Miller seperatly, you might get a little more than a 1st but not much if anything. Then you terminate Callahan contract which would cost 2.9 million for the next two years. I'm think 750k over 4 years is better.
Your math isn't right.

Ryan Callahan Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

2.6 next year, 1.6 the following year. So we'd get 3.2 and 4.2 in relief (respectively). So I think realistically we could retain maybe 2.2 on Callahan as a break-even value, but honestly it would have to be less than that to make it worth it.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Your math isn't right.

Ryan Callahan Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

2.6 next year, 1.6 the following year. So we'd get 3.2 and 4.2 in relief (respectively). So I think realistically we could retain maybe 2.2 on Callahan as a break-even value, but honestly it would have to be less than that to make it worth it.

Ok so the difference in my proposal would be,

Tampa trades Callahan and Miller takes 750k a year on Miller
Or
Buy out Callahan which will cost 2,666,667 year 1 and 1,566,667 year two.

Still think 750k for four years is a viable option since it opens up almost 2 million more year 1, and 900,000k more year 2. Its also 1,233,333 mil less over all.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Ok so the difference in my proposal would be,

Tampa trades Callahan and Miller takes 750k a year on Miller
Or
Buy out Callahan which will cost 2,666,667 year 1 and 1,566,667 year two.

Still think 750k for four years is a viable option since it opens up almost 2 million more year 1, and 900,000k more year 2. Its also 1,233,333 mil less over all.
The difference is we're losing Miller. He's not a guy we're moving if we don't absolutely have to.

And we're just now shedding dead cap space from Matt Carle. I doubt we're going to sign ourselves up for 4 more years of paying a guy to not play for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad