Proposal: TBL-BUF (Off-Season, Pre-Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No it doesn't....

It would upgrade the team if it was Miller and Callahan for a 3rd....its not.

The 1st will likely be a better player than Miller given the cost control this player would give later when you have Dalin, Eichel, Reinhart, and Skinner on high contracts,

Miller isn't that special. Buffalo has Nylander (top 10 pick) and Ollafsson in the minors + others that can play winger in middle sick and likely score.

You take these two contracts you are blocking them next season

Tell me how many late first round picks turn out into consistent 20 goal, 55+ point players vs how many turned out into busts.

Yeah exactly.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At 5.8M per year, uh, yeah, he's a big minus.

Yeah, at half that salary, he's still a bit fringe in terms of what he's paid. But at $5.8M, that's too much of a pill to swallow.

If they can work something a bit less than the 1st, with the off-set of taking on Callahan's deal as being the drag on Miller's trade value, that could be workable.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Yeah, at half that salary, he's still a bit fringe in terms of what he's paid. But at $5.8M, that's too much of a pill to swallow.

If they can work something a bit less than the 1st, with the off-set of taking on Callahan's deal as being the drag on Miller's trade value, that could be workable.

I think the offer was turned to
Miller @ Callahan @ 50% for SJ 1st. And he only has one year left. I'd do it but I seem to be in the minority.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Tell me how many late first round picks turn out into consistent 20 goal, 55+ point players vs how many turned out into busts.

Yeah exactly.

Late 1st from where?

San Jose’s 1st if they miss the playoffs in unprotected in 20 and could be top 15. If San Jose does make the playiffs the pick is likely 16-20

Buffalo has a 7th round pick whinin ttwo years will put up similar numbers at cheaper cost per point produced.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Late 1st from where?

San Jose’s 1st if they miss the playoffs in unprotected in 20 and could be top 15. If San Jose does make the playiffs the pick is likely 16-20

Buffalo has a 7th round pick whinin ttwo years will put up similar numbers at cheaper cost per point produced.

But this trade would be after the season was over. Buffalo would know where that pick is going to be.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Then the OP needs to rephrase the offer.
Explain to me, why logically we would move Miller now, when we have one of the best chances at a cup for a first round pick? I honestly didn't think anyone would need that spelled out if they thought about it logically for 10 seconds.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Then the OP needs to rephrase the offer.

I personally think Miller is overpriced.

The title I made hasn’t changed. It plainly states this is a hypothetical for the off-season. I even acknowledged in the original post that there’s still a lot of dust yet to settle.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The title I made hasn’t changed. It plainly states this is a hypothetical for the off-season. I even acknowledged in the original post that there’s still a lot of dust yet to settle.

Follow the logic....

Offseason and buffalo has SJ 1st means it’s in 2020 and unprotected.

Not trading that.

If buffalo does get San Jose pick in 2019 I think it’s likely 16-20 and I wouldn’t trade it.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Follow the logic....

Offseason and buffalo has SJ 1st means it’s in 2020 and unprotected.

Not trading that.

If buffalo does get San Jose pick in 2019 I think it’s likely 16-20 and I wouldn’t trade it.

Not sure where you think I steered wrong.

I followed the logic of the conditions set on the pick. A) Evandrer Kane re-signed. B) I’m assuming SJS make the playoffs. Thus, BUF would wind up with and be able to trade the SJS 1st as per the proposal.

EDIT: The terms implied it but I could have been more clear that the original proposal would have to be completed prior to next summer’s draft.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not sure where you think I steered wrong.

I followed the logic of the conditions set on the pick. A) Evandrer Kane re-signed. B) I’m assuming SJS make the playoffs. Thus, BUF would wind up with and be able to trade the SJS 1st as per the proposal.

EDIT: The terms implied it but I could have been more clear that the original proposal would have to be completed prior to next summer’s draft.

San Jose is nowhere near certain of playoffs, I have them at 50/50 now.

If they miss the playoffs 2019 pick to Ottawa, if make playoffs the pick goes to buffalo.

If buffalo makes the playoffs buffalo pick is likely after San Jose....so I’m keeping the better of the two picks. If both are 20 or under they aren’t getting traded.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
If buffalo makes the playoffs buffalo pick is likely after San Jose....so I’m keeping the better of the two picks. If both are 20 or under they aren’t getting traded.

I can’t imagine, if all the other parts were agreed to, TB would balk at BUF getting to choose which 1st it gave up.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I follow both of these teams Tampa will get Point signed and while I would like to see Miller get more ice time he will be critical in the playoffs.

Buffalo need to be patient a little longer you have the young kids to make this a nice top 6 in another year. Housley has got the team back to playing defense and things will get better as players mature. The one thing I would like to see addressed is in net. Housley is getting everything out of Hutton he does not have another level and this will be the area that fails this season.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
Buffalo is on Callahan's list. Hopefully Buffalo can give him more ice time than 12 mins and include some PP time. Could easily see him produce around a .50 clip again. Tampa's depth has pushed him into a limited shutdown role not really his play. Still his production has been pretty good given his role and has been excellent on the PK and defense. He should get one more run at the cup in Tampa this year, and then next year, can go to a contender, and Buffalo would be a good fit. If Tampa retains some of his salary it would be an excellent deal for Buffalo and help both teams, and be a win for the player as well, since he has residence there.

I can understand why Callahan doesn't get enough ice time on a stacked forward group. I think Ryan could easily get more minutes in Buffalo because our middle 6 forwards are pitiful. Its just a question of whether Buffalo can take on that much salary between Miller and Callahan. I'm not sure we can.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Value wise there's not too much wrong with most of the iterations of this trade throughout the thread. Bottom line, it just doesn't make a lot of sense for Buffalo to add JT Miller if they plan to re-sign Skinner this year, and Reinhart next year. That's two wingers who could be making a combined 16-17 million very soon... at a time when Mittelstadt's ELC would have expired as well.

JT Miller has a great contract (any 50-60 point forward making under 6.0 through their age 25-29 seasons is a bargain these days)... I just don't think Buffalo is in a position to take the deal.

Although, one could make the argument that Miller's deal will be so favorable in another year or two, that he'd be easy to flip if needed for cap purposes.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think that's what TB would push for. We'd lower the price substantially to get rid of as much of Callahan's salary as possible. Whatever we do has to save us substantially more than a buyout to make it worth the asset we give up. So yeah, with Callahan attached, I don't think Buffalo would have to pay a 1st.

Reactions: Chainshot

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can understand why Callahan doesn't get enough ice time on a stacked forward group. I think Ryan could easily get more minutes in Buffalo because our middle 6 forwards are pitiful. Its just a question of whether Buffalo can take on that much salary between Miller and Callahan. I'm not sure we can.

Yeah Callahan would be an upgrade to your bottom 6 and can see him getting more ice time there as well. If Tampa is retaining some salary would be worth it and it’s only one season. So little risk. Callahan is playing very well for his role but so is everyone else in Tampa and that’s the issue here as well as the cap situation.

Think it’s a good fit and good for both teams and the player(won’t have to move his family) but will happen in the off season before the draft not now.

Buffalo would be getting two upgrades in this deal and Tampa would be shedding cap. So it works out for both teams.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If this trade is done, Buffalo's forward group is:

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Okposo
Thompson - Miller - Nylander
Larsson - Girgensons - Sobotka
Rodrigues - Callahan

That's not that bad of a forward core compared to before using superstars such as Nolan, Josefson and Pouliot. All of your lines are interchangable, with the major exception being the top line with is mostly set. And barring injuries, you have competent replacements (IE if Skinner gets hurt you move Miller up, and plug in Sobotka or Callahan or Rodrigues in to 3C)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad