Proposal: TBL-BUF (Off-Season, Pre-Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Option A -

To BUF: J.T. Miller, Ryan Callahan (25% retained)
To TBL: SJS 2019 1st round draft pick, Matt Hunwick

Option B -

To BUF: J.T. Miller, Ryan Callahan
To TBL: SJS 2019 1st round draft pick, Vladimir Sobotka

TB gets to reclaim a sizable chunk of short- and long-term cap space. BUF gets, for a very modest price, to bolster the supporting cast around Eichel with Miller (the only player with term in the deal) and briefly tap, with Callahan, a vet presence as the club tries to build on a turnaround campaign.

Obviously, a lot can happen between now and the off-season but barring the Sabres imploding as the season winds down or major injury, the stars seem to be aligning in such a way to make a trade between these two teams, especially one involving Callahan, much more plausible than last summer.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Sabres may not be in a position to take on Callahans salary. Not in any crazy cap trouble, but all could depend on what skinner signs for and if they decide to let a Pominville or girgensons walk in free agency. Got a lot of cheaper, young players to fill roster with

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Sabres may not be in a position to take on Callahans salary. Not in any crazy cap trouble, but all could depend on what skinner signs for and if they decide to let a Pominville or girgensons walk in free agency. Got a lot of cheaper, young players to fill roster with

Callahan doesn't necessarily have to be a part of a deal for Miller but I took shedding Pominville as a given, so even after ponying up for Skinner, there would be plenty of room (and potentially even more depending on how Berglund's situation plays out) remaining to flesh out the roster for next season, after which Callahan comes off the books.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not sure that that clears quite enough cap to justify not doing each deal individually. But value-wise, I think TB does this easily. We would just rather not have the salary coming back. But if that's a must for the Sabres, I think something around either Miller or Callahan (where we pay you) individually could be worked out.

SJ's 1st would almost certainly win a bidding war for Miller.

member 147413

Don’t think Buffalo wants to trade a 1st and help their divisional opponents cap crunch.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Actually, I think this is a fair offer. Couple of things may have to happen though. Buffalo has to find out what's going to happen with Berglund and his contract. If his contract becomes void, Buffalo should have no problem with taking this cap. Callahans contract ends at the time Buffalo is going to need That cap space, so it works out perfect.

So in short, I approve if Burglund is off the books.

Reactions: Chainshot

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Why are we paying you for cap dumps? Miller holds value but a first? That would be an insane overpayment. Rather trade with Carolina where you get first liners for a second and Pu.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
I'm not sure that that clears quite enough cap to justify not doing each deal individually. But value-wise, I think TB does this easily. We would just rather not have the salary coming back.

TB would clear, at minimum, $7.35m in cap space for next season (and still have the ability to squeeze a bit more in cap savings via buy out, assignment to the AHL or retention in a trade) in the scenarios I presented.

Sure, it's not the $11m that could be gained by trading Miller and Callahan separately and not taking any salary back or retaining any money but how realistic is that? If you're already thinking, as I do, that moving Callahan means some amount of retention and/or a contract coming back, then there's really little difference to justify a preference one way or the other.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Id do the first one without Hunwick. Maybe even retain more from Cally.

Miller Callahan 50% Retention

for

SJ 1st

That helps both teams out.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Pominville? LOL. He’s done in Buffalo unless he gets a league minimum deal

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see how this is that bad for Buffalo. JT Miller is a versatile 50+ point player with a decent contract, and is the right age. He'd be a nice boost to our middle six. I mean teams give 1st's for that type of player as a rental. I'd seriously think about trading our latest first for him with 4 years left. Callahans contract won't really affect us, especially if they retain half. He'll be off the books when Dahlin and Reinharts contrats are due.

Last edited:
Reactions: DistantThunderRep

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Id do the first one without Hunwick. Maybe even retain more from Cally.

Miller Callahan 50% Retention

for

SJ 1st

That helps both teams out.

In what way?

Adds a tons of cap to Buffalo and helps out Tampa, you need to add more if Buffalo gonna save you, it dosent even hurt you

Switch Miller to what do Buffalo need, Johnson?, Palat?, Foote? Cernak?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I don't know, moving Callahan and Miller together seems like a pipe dream. Even with retention. Plus if rather try to move Miller by himself to get the max out of it. Use a prospect or a pick to move with Callahan with a little retention.

It all really depends on Point's contract. If Point wants market value, he takes a discount, he does the team a favour and signs a bridge, whatever he does will decide how desperate we are to move Miller and Callahan.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
In what way?

Adds a tons of cap to Buffalo and helps out Tampa, you need to add more if Buffalo gonna save you, it dosent even hurt you

Buffalo gets 2 players that upgrade their team? TB gets cap relief for next offseason.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
In what way?

You act like getting a young 50 point player who literally plays all forward positions is getting trash or nothing?

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Buffalo gets 2 players that upgrade their team? TB gets cap relief for next offseason.

Callahan is more of what Sobotka and Berglund brings, they got enough of that. Miller maybe, but he is not worth a first and a capdump.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
You act like getting a young 50 point player who literally plays all forward positions is getting trash or nothing?

They take a capdump and give up what Millers is worth at maximum, so yeah, not enough

Did we add his NTC kicks in next summer aswell?

Only 8 teams, but still it is a value decrese..

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
They take a capdump and give up what Millers is worth at maximum, so yeah, not enough

Did we add his NTC kicks in next summer aswell?

Only 8 teams, but still it is a value decrese..

A cap dump which some fans have suggested that we retain 50% of Callahan not to mention that if it was done in the summer he will have a year left. Not as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
So the question is, is JT Miller @5.2 -4 years worth a late 1st and a 3 million dollar cap dump for 1 year. I may be goofy, but I think it's pretty close. Is Miller not as good as I think or something? Maybe Tampa throws in a draft pick?

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
So the question is, is JT Miller @5.2 -4 years worth a late 1st and a 3 million dollar cap dump for 1 year. I may be goofy, but I think it's pretty close. Is Miller not as good as I think or something? Maybe Tampa throws in a draft pick?

Thing is, if Tampa gets capspace, they can resign Point easier, why should Buffalo do that, they win more by having Tampa not be able to resign Point :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad