Confirmed Trade: [TB/LA] 2018 7th round pick for Bokondji Imama

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I know this is a minor trade but I have a tough time understanding these types of moves.

You spend a 6th rounder in 2015 on a pure tough guy with limited skillset but upside. 2 years later the guy becomes a legit scoring threat (in the Q) indicating great development. And then you give up on him? What was the point? What were they expecting in 2015? For him to become a 50-60 goal scorer (in the Q) overnight? That looks to me like a gamble that paid off, no? Not saying the guy will make the NHL but he is trending in the right direction.

I understand it is better to receive a 7th rounder than losing him for nothing. But why not sign him? is the Lightning already at or near the contract limit?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I know this is a minor trade but I have a tough time understanding these types of moves.

You spend a 6th rounder in 2015 on a pure tough guy with limited skillset but upside. 2 years later the guy becomes a legit scoring threat (in the Q) indicating great development. And then you give up on him? What was the point? What were they expecting in 2015? For him to become a 50-60 goal scorer (in the Q) overnight? That looks to me like a gamble that paid off, no? Not saying the guy will make the NHL but he is trending in the right direction.

I understand it is better to receive a 7th rounder than losing him for nothing. But why not sign him? is the Lightning already at or near the contract limit?

Maybe he doesn't want to sign there.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

You probably don't expect to sign all of your draft picks - especially later round picks. Tampa ended up hitting on a lot of later picks the past couple of drafts (where they will likely join the AHL next season - as mentioned above we're adding 8 ELCs to the roster next season most likely. 9 AHL rookies is a lot (and he probably wouldn't have cracked the AHL lineup anyway - we're currently scratching/fourth-lining much better players like Howden).

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Just checked and Tampa is at 28/50 Contracts used.
They have 14 RFAs to sign.
12 UFAs (although including 6 very unlikely to be resigned).

So indeed very close to the 50 limit when it is all said and done.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
There's some speculation on the Twitterspehere (Saw Bolts Prospects and a Syracuse Crunch fan twitter account) that Tampa liked Imama but were concerned about the number of players under contract and with 11 guys under contract who played this past year in the CHL (Yan, Stephens, Cirelli, Katchouck, Howden, Joseph, Tammela, T.Raddysh, Cernak, Hajek and Ingram), there was also some speculation that there maybe just wasn't anywhere for him to play next year.

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
You probably don't expect to sign all of your draft picks - especially later round picks. Tampa ended up hitting on a lot of later picks the past couple of drafts (where they will likely join the AHL next season - as mentioned above we're adding 8 ELCs to the roster next season most likely. 9 AHL rookies is a lot (and he probably wouldn't have cracked the AHL lineup anyway - we're currently scratching/fourth-lining much better players like Howden).
Thanks, that makes sense.

Good move by LA to capitalize then. Very cheap price with some upside. Very likely better upside than the 7th rounder.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
That draft pick will lead us to this again:

stanley-cup.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

You pretty much answered your own question...sort of.

Teams don't end up signing every draft pick. A late 6th rounder would have been a long shot to get signed in the first place. He was drafted in his second year of eligibility. He'll be 21 in August. His breakout year came 6 years into the QMJHL. Players that old tend to be more likely to produce. It's entirely possible that given those facts, the Lightning were willing to write off his production this year as not being as meaningful and felt that he wasn't worth one of their limited contract spots. In which case, they did a good job to potentially get another similar pick for him.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Wow, did not realize he had 71 goals this year. Played hockey with the dude last summer and he didn't get a goal on me.

Where's my contract?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Best fighter in CHL. Has a scoring touch

Scored 41 goals in 66 games this year, 55 points total. Last year he had 7 goals and 19 points in 40 something games played. Not that impressive for his age but still cool for a tough guy. Could be a solid 4th liner but I don't see much more than that. Although I do think LA gets the better end here (although a very very minor trade) 5th round+ doesn't excite me this draft compared to others. Imama is likely better than anyone Tampa picks in the 7th although I doubt either makes the NHL

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Also who knows, maybe Tampa was trying to sign him but since he scored 41 goals, maybe his agent is demanding more money or something... Never know what goes on behind the scenes... Or maybe he just didnt want to sign with Tampa... I highly doubt either of thosr situations happened, but you never know... But IMO it is odd Tampa wouldnt sign him after surprisingly improving his season goal total and point total by that amount from his draft year

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Also who knows, maybe Tampa was trying to sign him but since he scored 41 goals, maybe his agent is demanding more money or something... Never know what goes on behind the scenes... Or maybe he just didnt want to sign with Tampa... I highly doubt either of thosr situations happened, but you never know... But IMO it is odd Tampa wouldnt sign him after surprisingly improving his season goal total and point total by that amount from his draft year

I mean - we also had Raddysh blow up. Cirelli was amazing. Joseph was great. We traded for Cernak. On top of that you have Stephens and Howden which are great prospects, and an already fairly young and deep team in Syracuse, which is currently in the Calder Cup Finals.

Just too many people in line ahead of him.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I mean - we also had Raddysh blow up. Cirelli was amazing. Joseph was great. We traded for Cernak. On top of that you have Stephens and Howden which are great prospects, and an already fairly young and deep team in Syracuse, which is currently in the Calder Cup Finals.

Just too many people in line ahead of him.

Yea it's competitive. Don't think we really had much room for him.

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
People need to calm down a little bit. Imama scored 41 goals as a 20 year old on the best team in the very high scoring QMJHL. If he were in the WHL on the Regina Pats/Seattle Thunderbirds he'd be a 25 goal scorer max; which is almost expected from an overager.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad