Seravalli: Tatar to the Leafs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'd imagine that whoever loses out on Saad will be able to offer more than the Leafs.

He makes sense for an analytically-inclined front office, but he's an awkward fit for a team that wants to win a winner take all series for the first time in the salary cap era and just lost Hyman.

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
With what money? Kerfoot and Dermott out the door?

We have about 2.3M in cap space doesn't include moving Engvall, Dermott, Mikheyev. The Leafs have among the lowest contracts signed in the league. We are signing alot of minimum contracts for Marlies depth.

As one of the well-off franchises in the league, we can sign players to NHL max slide contracts. They can make an NHL wage playing in the AHL.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Would make sense if the money fits. Solid top six winger, which is what Toronto desperately needs.

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
Absolutely love Tuna but look at his playoff numbers across his Career. There's a reason 2 teams in a row scratched him in the playoffs.

To be fair, we had Galchenyuk on our 2nd line in the playoffs. It can't really be much worse. No disrespect to Galy - he played well in a lot of instances. It was a bit of a stretch though to have him in the line-up that high...

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
A lot of jokes about Tatar here, but he is a legitimately good two-way winger. The Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line was one of the best in the league and drove goal and shot/chance differentials. I think he's probably signing a cheap contract because of his "reputation".

Good for the Leafs if that's the case. He'll help any line that he's on. He's particularly good at little bump plays to facilitate the rush.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Tatar - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Engvall - Mikheyev
Simmonds - Kampf - Spezza
Brooks

Looks good to me. If Robertson dominates the AHL, he becomes an option midway through the season.

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I think I’d rather re-sign Galchenyuk. But I’m not opposed to it.

Definitely shouldn’t be our only remaining move though if so.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Not a fan of taking Montreal's sloppy seconds. If he's not good enough for them he's not good enough for Toronto

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
To be fair, we had Galchenyuk on our 2nd line in the playoffs. It can't really be much worse. No disrespect to Galy - he played well in a lot of instances. It was a bit of a stretch though to have him in the line-up that high...

The problem with Chucky (Gally, on the leafs. BTW funny side note, him and Gallagher were rookies the same year and had a competition to see who got the name Gally with the habs)

Back to topic, Chucky's problem is he plays a game that is designed for a top 6 role but he can't put it together to be a top 6 guy.

The leafs need a left wing no doubt but ti quote many people. Some guys get you to the playoffs and some get you through the playoffs. Tatar gets you there not through and the leafs imo need some get you through guys.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Tatar is a decent winger and noticeable when he's on the ice. Just getting to play alongside Matthews-Marner will obviously do him a lot of good.

On the other hand, the playoff track record is an issue especially after what the Habs just did with him. I guess that's something you have to deal with considering the amount of cap space left.

Reactions: NHL WAR

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
A lot of jokes about Tatar here, but he is a legitimately good two-way winger. The Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line was one of the best in the league and drive goal and shot/chance differentials. I think he's probably signing a cheap contract because of his "reputation".

Good for the Leafs if that's the case. He'll help any line that he's on. He's particularly good at little bump plays to facilitate the rush.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Tatar - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Engvall - Mikheyev
Simmonds - Kampf - Spezza
Brooks

Looks good to me. If Robertson dominates the AHL, he becomes an option midway through the season.

I would love to watch the Atlantic play against that team.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I'm not a fan, he was benched most of Montreal's run. But if its a cheap one year its not the worst thing ever, even with 12 points in 40 playoff games, Mikheyev and Engvall have combined for 1 point in 24 :laugh:.

With that said I'm still a fan but I'm not pulling the strings.

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
The problem with Chucky (Gally, on the leafs. BTW funny side note, him and Gallagher were rookies the same year and had a competition to see who got the name Gally with the habs)

Back to topic, Chucky's problem is he plays a game that is designed for a top 6 role but he can't put it together to be a top 6 guy.

The leafs need a left wing no doubt but ti quote many people. Some guys get you to the playoffs and some get you through the playoffs. Tatar gets you there not through and the leafs imo need some get you through guys.

In a scoring by committee team environment like Montreal I would agree. To be fair, Tavares/Matthews/Nylander/Marner will need to step up really push through. The odd supplementary player timely goal is appreciated, but recent collapses has come from the top lacking killer instinct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad