Value of: Tarasenkos next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Dang. I know he's looked good lately but do you think any GM will go 6 years? That will take him to 37. I feel like anyone who takes him to that term gets a steep reduction in AAV but what do I know.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's certainly an interesting question. I think it'll depend on what he wants to do re: playing for a contender vs cashing out.

But he feels like a guy where most teams are going to be a little bit hesitant on term. He's on the wrong side of thirty and he's had some significant injuries that can't be completely written off. I could be wrong and teams may just do their usual reckless UFA routine to make sure they "win" him...like the Flames with Kadri. But it feels like there's some wariness around Tank's longevity/remaining productive years/slowing down that outstrips your typical high profile UFA.

If teams are hesitant on term, that'll also obviously influence what happens with the AAV.

I could see either a shorter term higher AAV...or a stupidly long deal to compromise and get his AAV down for a contender with a shorter perceived window.

But it doesn't feel like there are a lot of really natural recent comparables for a player of Tarasenko's ilk.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
likely term 4-5 yrs
low 4.25 high 5.75
depends where he prefers, what is their immediate/upcoming cap situation, etc

either way NYR cannot afford now, must squeeze every nickel for KAM extension [no bridge]
only way he stays in NY is if bread agrees to deal elsewhere, not happening soon

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He is 31, turning 32 in December. So, age will impact the term of a contract. I can't see him anything longer than 4 years max. Probably, most teams would target 2-3 years. 2 years at a larger cap hit, 3 years a bit lower.

Reactions: bernmeister

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
I hope he likes NYR enough to leave a brinks truck of money on the table to re-sign here.
He won't. He will want similar to panarin money maybe 7 at min

Honestly when the east teams see his play a third year in a row after his surgeries they are going to offer him a good amount of money

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Honestly when the east teams see his play a third year in a row after his surgeries they are going to offer him a good amount of money
I love what Tank is bringing right now, but if any conversations starts with "I want similar to Panarin money", I don't think another word is spoken between them.

Reactions: Dijock94

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I hope he likes NYR enough to leave a brinks truck of money on the table to re-sign here.
I think it could happen.
I know the mercenary capitalists will find the idea absurd.
But the greatest benefit, of having money, is not having to make decisions based on money
He has already secured his family's future.
He likes it here, the team is set to compete for next few seasons, at least, and he gets to play w Bread or Zib.
Russians do seem to particularly appreciate NYC, and the extended local Russian community
NYC would be good for his wife's moding career.
Guys like Spezza, Giordano have signed low to play where they prefer.

Re-ups w NYR for 2 x $1.25M w bonuses and NMC

If he doesn't, he doesn't.
But he, and Kane, both know that, with this team, they won't be the big-Cap-Hit guys.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

No doubt. I don't know if he gets panarin level money but he can get a nice 5 year deal in the 35-40MM range.

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
Dang. I know he's looked good lately but do you think any GM will go 6 years? That will take him to 37. I feel like anyone who takes him to that term gets a steep reduction in AAV but what do I know.
6 years frontloaded deal to reduce AAV so you can buy it out after year 4 or 5.
For example 6x6

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
6 years frontloaded deal to reduce AAV so you can buy it out after year 4 or 5.
For example 6x6
Front loaded deals actually hurt the buyout. The cap hit is calculated based on the difference if salary and cap hit. If you buy out that contract in year 5 the cap hit would be 4.5 mill for the first 2 years. If my math is correct. 6 mill÷4 years=for 1.5 mill. Cap hit annual average of 6 - 1.5 mill for a buyout cap of 4.5m

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think it could happen.
I know the mercenary capitalists will find the idea absurd.
But the greatest benefit, of having money, is not having to make decisions based on money
He has already secured his family's future.
He likes it here, the team is set to compete for next few seasons, at least, and he gets to play w Bread or Zib.
Russians do seem to particularly appreciate NYC, and the extended local Russian community
NYC would be good for his wife's moding career.
Guys like Spezza, Giordano have signed low to play where they prefer.

Re-ups w NYR for 2 x $1.25M w bonuses and NMC

If he doesn't, he doesn't.
But he, and Kane, both know that, with this team, they won't be the big-Cap-Hit guys.
He can’t get bonuses. Only elc and 35+ are eligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad