Tanking

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Williams came back with one stated purpose. To lead us to the playoffs. Give us leadership and credibility. We failed and he failed. We can only hope now that he'll agree to leave the team and his family for a couple of months for the good of our future and that we don't get Ray Whitneyed.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Pronman is always trying to be different with his rankings.

There seems to be some debate about whether he or Kappo will go #1 right now. If he were truly #2 behind McDavid, there would be no doubt at all.

Pronman puts raw skill above all else and Hughes put up better D-1 numbers than Eichel. It isn’t all unwarranted. And Kakko playing well doesn’t take anything from Hughes just as Eichel playing well didn’t take anything from McDavid. Kakko has 9 goals and 20 points in 27 games. Compare that to last year’s #3 Overall Kotkaniemi having 10 goals and 29 points in 57 games last year and you can see why he is getting hype. Kakko is likely to finish between Barkov and Laine’s Draft year tallies. Two additional game changers recently found at the top of the draft.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Outside Aho/Svech/Slavin etc the roster is full of ECHL guys and veterans like Staal and Williams who just aren't good anymore.

I'll take your word that Rask looks good against Columbus but most nights he's a trainwreck and a big part of why we suck. He's being paid $4 million a year to do nothing.

The goaltending has actually gotten better since Darling was sent down. The goalscoring however is still a problem.

We also employ a coach who doesn't know what he is doing and even subtly admits it in postgame interviews.

Do you think Karmanos didn't provide the funds to hire a good staff, scouts, development etc while he was trying to sell? Will Dundon?
I keep expecting the Canes to become a good team. I really hope they do.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Do you think Karmanos didn't provide the funds to hire a good staff, scouts, development etc while he was trying to sell? Will Dundon?
PK was broke, so no I do not think he was providing adequate capital to field a competitive hockey club, FO to ice level. He was dipping into his kid's trust fund to make debt service payments!

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Karmanos overall went cheap during his time as owner, they won the Cup with one of the lowest payrolls in the league IIRC. It's telling when he has to take money from his kid to pay for team expenses.

The scouts are not terrible. Granted they've whiffed on some guys but they've also pulled out Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, and Aho to name a few. I don't really keep up with who is employed to scout the team but I believe most of them have been here a long time.

What Dundon decides to do is a mystery to us. The guy is unpredictable, and thats not a good thing.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
I never got the whole Justin Williams “thing” to begin with... There is more to hockey than game sevens...

Reactions: Primetime8

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As much as anything, he was a link to the good times to show to the fans and we mostly ate it up. He was one of the few relatively large name free agents that would probably give us a sniff since he'd played here and had property here. I think he was also at a point where he probably wanted to play out the end of his career in comfort and with few expectations.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
At this point JWilly is just what he is: solid veteran, good presense. He's ideal for depth, for stacked team with solid top 6. We rely on him to be Williams from 06 season. He would be pretty good behind that crazy offense in Nashville, Tampa, Capitals or Pens.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I'm just saying....

If we go into 2019-2020 with a offensive core of Aho, Svech, and Hughes with a defensive core of Slavin and Pesce, we're well on our way to being good in the near future. If that means maybe dumping as much of the rest of the pieces as we can to clean house and assure we have the best odds for that reality to hit, then it might be worth it. If we can make that happen by collecting future 1st and 2nd round picks, even better.

When I think about it, if you were looking to tank the 2018 season after hitting the 2nd OA pick, moving Waddell to GM and an inexperienced Brindy as coach is a great way to set yourself up for that. Then trading away quality players such as Hanifin and Lindholm, two players who were good, but nothing more than long term role players who could be replaced down the line via FA once we're ready to compete is a great next step. Then, shipping out your best pure scorer right away (who you knew would probably bail in FA anyway) in Skinner would be an excellent way to finish it off.

So.... I'm wondering if we weren't tanking from the start.

Too bad 2019-2020 we'll experience another lockout...

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Pronman is always trying to be different with his rankings.

There seems to be some debate about whether he or Kappo will go #1 right now. If he were truly #2 behind McDavid, there would be no doubt at all.
He'll be good no doubt, but even comparing him to Matthews statistically in the NTDP, Auston is ahead by a good bit. Mind you Hughes is also younger in relation to his year by a significant margin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad