Tambellini or McTavish

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Both are terrible but at least Tambellini had cap flexibility

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Both are terrible but at least Tambellini had cap flexibility

A good point. MacT has signed some bad contracts and whittled away at that flexibility, but at least he can pull off some okay trades beyond swapping bottom pairing defensemen.

Both are garbage and products of nepotism however.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this question, both are horrible, and that's all I'm going to say on the matter

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's all the same. Kevin Lowe is the true mastermind behind the whole operation anyways.

Aceonfire*

Straight up folks just curious oilers folks whos the better GM??? I know its not saying much but who's the least worst.

What a ridiculous question.

Tambo was one of the worst GMs in the modern era. MacT has been on the job for less than 2 years and has completely changed the roster.

If you consider the garbage MacT has inherited he has done a decent job.

And lol at those accusing him of handing out bad contracts. Nikitin took shorter term for more cash up front. Pouliot has been great for the Oilers and we are happy with his deal. Also..the Sens apparently offered him more cash but he wanted term. He shipped out Horcoff, Gagner, and Smid who all had bad contracts.

The Oilers have the least amount of NTCs/NMCs in the league.

MacT isn't a great GM but he isnt as bad as people think.

Oct 15, 2008
Crap T is worse by a country mile. Fired Krueger by skype and replaced him with the worst coach in franchise history, then failed to fire him and sewered a second season because his ego wouldnt let him admit his mistake and move on.

Tambellini was tasked with moving out the high paid underperforming vets which he did to a degree. Mact on the other hand gave Gagner a crippling extension then had to take an equally gross contract in return to get rid of him. Top that off with not filling any holes on the team and you have the makings of Milbury 2.0.

He also made questionable signings creating a 30th place cap team, squandering all the cap space created by Tambellini and his sell off. Well done dumb ass.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні!
May 4, 2006
Tambellini was hired and failed. He couldn't make a decision and mostly just picked which suit and tie to wear for the tsn draft rankings show and the draft.

MacF has traded every player besides Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Eberle, Petry and Schultz. There is no reason to think that MacF has had every chance to form the team he wanted to go along with the help of the coaching he hired (Eakins) to make this a successful team.

This team has been just as bad (and honestly could be worse) as Tambo's teams yet MacF was hired to replace a bad gm therefore he must have beaten a large number of qualified candidates... oh wait Old Boys Club membership gets you passed the door and hired on the spot because the owner is a fan boy.

Honestly the whole management structure (minus Nicholson) is full of crap that needs to be flushed at the end of the season.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Boy. If there's ever been a truer "1.A and 1.B" situation it's this.

People say how Mac-T is having to deal with the old roster. But most of the team here is his doing. Yea there's still a chance he could turn it around. As opposed to Tambellini who's basically set himself in stone. But it's definitely not to early to start getting a picture of who is is as a GM.

All I've heard for years is how smart Mac-T is. And maybe in person he might be pretty sharp. But I have honestly never seen it manifest in any decision he's made.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
What a ridiculous question.

Tambo was one of the worst GMs in the modern era. MacT has been on the job for less than 2 years and has completely changed the roster.

If you consider the garbage MacT has inherited he has done a decent job.

And lol at those accusing him of handing out bad contracts. Nikitin took shorter term for more cash up front. Pouliot has been great for the Oilers and we are happy with his deal. Also..the Sens apparently offered him more cash but he wanted term. He shipped out Horcoff, Gagner, and Smid who all had bad contracts.

The Oilers have the least amount of NTCs/NMCs in the league.

MacT isn't a great GM but he isnt as bad as people think.

Ntc doesn't factor into the equation when you are a spend to the cap team en route to a franchise low in points.

This once great franchise has become garbage

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
I want to say MacTavish, because at the very least he is trying to do something. Tambellini would just sit on his hands all year, literally his only plan was to hope the Oilers finished bad enough they would get a good draft pick.

While it has been largely a hot mess, MacTavish made at least some attempt to repair the goaltending and defense. the Kreuger firing and Eakins hiring cost the team 2 years though. So that is a obvious glaring negative on him however.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Don't mistakenly take this as me saying Tambellini is a good GM, but he did have the team trending upward.

MacT took that team that was slowly on the rise and destroyed it.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Tambellini was much better, and he was not that great. Kevin Lowes final kick to the nuts of oiler fans was making about the worst hire for the most important position in the organization. What boggles my mind is that the media seem to like MacT and I saw almost no one questioning the hire in the 1st place. Killed the cred of a lot of national media types if you ask me.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Tambellini was much better, and he was not that great. Kevin Lowes final kick to the nuts of oiler fans was making about the worst hire for the most important position in the organization. What boggles my mind is that the media seem to like MacT and I saw almost no one questioning the hire in the 1st place. Killed the cred of a lot of national media types if you ask me.

If we're talking specifically about the national media, I would agree. There were a lot of local media questioning the move. It was a local guy that sparked Lowe's famous hissy fit.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
MacTavish gave Mark Fayne 3.6, Nikita 4.5, and Pouliot 4 million. He is definitely worse.

I would personally choose Cesar From Planet of the Apes over both of them

article-2525972-1A2ED16000000578-508_634x327.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad