GDT: Superb Owl Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Well that settles that. Assume apologies are forthcoming. ;)

It was probably an AI or a deepfake or something.

Hockey is the most entertaining team sport on the planet. yes or no.

Real football, the sport the world plays is the top sport on the planet watched and played by the mostt people. yes or no
Hockey can be entertaining but it’s bogged down by a bunch of people who don’t know what they’re doing. Hey, just like soccer.

And then there’s that whole FIFA thing. Entire governments blush at that level of corruption.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Tonight was a reminder to me why I like hockey better than football/basketball. I find possession/clock kill tactics to end the games anticlimactic. Teams just dick around to kill off a clock. Whether it's like tonight in football, or just taking fouls at the end a basketball game. I do not like that, and you don't really see anything like that in hockey.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
For someone that says he really doesn’t follow it, you sure have some definite opinions on it.
And based on the viewing numbers every year( including yourself apparently) I don’t think there’s a huge worry.

My viewing doesn’t count since I streamed it.

A decline in kids taking up sports will impact viewership eventually. Football has a lot of controversy professionally along with the issues with concussions and other injuries. Cost and time of uptake is detrimental as well (like with hockey) so more kids pick up soccer and basketball since they are more accessible in time (can easily play a pick up game of either almost anywhere) and cost.

These sorts of declines tend to be gradual. CFL decline is a bit of a canary in the coal mine. It was massively popular here even a generation or two ago and yet not one of my peers cares about it (unlike hockey, soccer, basketball edit: and even baseball). Obviously the NFL has a massive population to pull from so it could take another generation or so to get even close to the CFL. Maybe it never will get that bad

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Tonight was a reminder to me why I like hockey better than football/basketball. I find possession/clock kill tactics to end the games anticlimactic. Teams just dick around to kill off a clock. Whether it's like tonight in football, or just taking fouls at the end a basketball game. I do not like that, and you don't really see anything like that in hockey.
I think so. Like I saw Football is flawed on so many ways. Such a big aspect is just being able to run the clock out.

So this is the thing. 2mins left game is tied, Chiefs in FG position. Fine. 3rd down and the pass is incomplete by 10yrds. But a holding call gives them a fresh stack of downs just to run out the clock, which they do, even avoiding going into the endzone thus negating any chance of the opponent having a response. Within the rules, but thats about the most anticlimactic ending its possibly to have in a tied final, in any sport.

hard to argue other than that the last 2 mins were a fizzle.

Reactions: Ruok

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
NFL Football is 11 minutes of actual play through the course of a 4hr broadcast. Hockey is 60mins of superlative play spread across 2.5hrs. Which has more action/minute.

World Cup is the best event on the planet. If you don't watch it it’s your loss. Most Canadians did.
Hockey really depends on the game. If you watched every game every day I guarantee you’d find more duds then good games.

As for the World Cup, they got a good one this time. More often than not it’s 1-0 borefests that I can’t invest any interest in.

SC playoffs > all other sporting events. an NHL game 7 dwarfs the competition.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Love the hate. Feels good to be on the winners side. Hopefully the Oilers can provide us all with that feeling one day.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
My viewing doesn’t count since I streamed it.

A decline in kids taking up sports will impact viewership eventually. Football has a lot of controversy professionally along with the issues with concussions and other injuries. Cost and time of uptake is detrimental as well (like with hockey) so more kids pick up soccer and basketball since they are more accessible in time (can easily play a pick up game of either almost anywhere) and cost.

These sorts of declines tend to be gradual. CFL decline is a bit of a canary in the coal mine. It was massively popular here even a generation or two ago and yet not one of my peers cares about it (unlike hockey, soccer, basketball edit: and even baseball). Obviously the NFL has a massive population to pull from so it could take another generation or so to get even close to the CFL. Maybe it never will get that bad
Football enrollment in US, or anywhere is way down. Especially for any version that involves tackle. Parents just don't want their kids playing the sport. The ones that do often see it as the only way to get ahead in life. Thats not a great feature either. Get your brains scrambled or critically injured to try to get out of dodge.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
NFL Football is 11 minutes of actual play through the course of a 4hr broadcast. Hockey is 60mins of superlative play spread across 2.5hrs. Which has more action/minute.

World Cup is the best event on the planet. If you don't watch it its your loss. Most Canadians did.
CFL is 2 minutes of entertainment (usually interception returns) interspersed with 30 minutes of enthralling Saveon commercials.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Football enrollment in US, or anywhere is way down. Especially for any version that involves tackle. Parents just don't want their kids playing the sport. The ones that do often see it as the only way to get ahead in life. Thats not a great feature either. Get your brains scrambled or critically injured to try to get out of dodge.
I know, and the kids in Morroco, Nigeria, and Brazil only use soccer as a diversion from their medical studies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Real football. You mean the one where at the highest pinnacle of the sport, the players go down when they’re breathed upon and the ref issues penalties for it. And the championships are decided by a skills competition. Right.

Fair points. It is expensive to play with all the equipment, and the propensity to severe injury due to its inherent violence. But coming on here trashing it is not a good look for you when you tend to get upset with others coming on to our threads and trolling and trashing our stuff.
its the sport that Multiple Billion people on the planet follow and that around 2B play. you're scoffing at that sport, the one the world plays while saying its trolling to suggest that the NFL is nothingburger outside of the USA.

it is what it is. The world loves one brand of Football, it isn't gridiron.

The world cup involved very little faking for free kicks or cards or the like. Was well played and legitimately played with the best final matchup in several WC's A classic.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

To be fair to the NFL, its probably one of the most non anticlimactic sports there is. There are so many games that literally come down to the last play. I would argue to the point where it’s almost suspicious or at the very least … the entire game up until the 5 minute mark … doesn’t matter. But tonight … it did feel anticlimactic because I think referring interfered. Oh well, is the way the cookie crumbles. Eagles defense also didn’t do enough either.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
CFL is 2 minutes of entertainment (usually interception returns) interspersed with 30 minutes of enthralling Saveon commercials.
Can't argue with that. CFL is poorer quality. Absolutely. Highschool ball here is basically unwatchable as well as Golden Bears. Too bad what happened to the CFL. It used to be more entertaining.

Given that people have gotten seizures from the digital ads I’d say they’re just showing what a gong show the league is.
One person anywhere reported to CTV that they had a kid with seizures that was adversely effected No substantiation of it, and every other news source that comments on it just following the original claim. yeah, I'd want to see a little proof.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Oh no.

Anyway.
giphy.gif

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
An incredibly gutsy performance from Mahomes playing on that sprain. That great run up the middle in the 4th quarter was the difference. It was a very entertaining game with one very bad call against the Eagles sideline catch courtesy of the "booth" review. I sometimes ownder if the guys in the booth are sampling something sweet. That late defensive hold against the Eagles was little league stuff too-should have just let them play.

A lot of those commericals were just awful. For 6 million bucks per 30 minutes you would think they could come up with something better than most of what we saw there.

The best ad on the day was for the "Cocaine Bear" movie. Isn't it interesting how the NFL spends tens of millions on anti-drug policies but has commercials that promote cocaine using hairy omnivores? Not that I have anything against either but interesting contradictions.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
An incredibly gutsy performance from Mahomes playing on that sprain. That great run up the middle in the 4th quarter was the difference. It was a very entertaining game with one very bad call against the Eagles sideline catch courtesy of the "booth" review. I sometimes ownder if the guys in the booth are sampling something sweet. That late defensive hold against the Eagles was little league stuff too-should have just let them play.

A lot of those commericals were just awful. For 6 million bucks per 30 minutes you would think they could come up with something better than most of what we saw there.

The best ad on the day was for the "Cocaine Bear" movie. Isn't it interesting how the NFL spends tens of millions on anti-drug policies but has commercials that promote cocaine using hairy omnivores? Not that I have anything against either but interesting contradictions.
If you were watching in Canada you likely missed most of the multi million $ commercials. We get stuck with the simulcast rebranded ones up here. Here are the real ones:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad