Suggestion to the NHL's Cap

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Thinking the NHL should only put a cap on guaranteed contracts and allow teams to have unprotected portions of money which get forfeited once player stops playing due to injury, retirement etc or player's performance have dramatically gone down and are either sent down to the AHL or their contract is bought-out in which case all the unprotected money is cancelled.

Each team is only allowed a maximum of 30 NHL x Contracts with a a protected portion capped at 2 million$

Teams can add as much as they want of unprotected salary to the contract, in form of signing bonuses or normal salaries. However the player is only guaranteed a maximum of 2 millions/ year from that amount.

When signing a contract it is up to the team and player to decide how much money they want upfront. Upfront money cannot exceed the total amount of protected salary left in the contract. Single year contracts cannot have any up-fronted salary. Where as a 2 year contract can only have up to 2 million$ in upfronted money for the first year only. No signing bonuses in the final year of a contract allowed.

Exhibit A:

Player A signs a contract of 8 yrs with maximum protected money, with maximum unprotected signing bonus and an extra 4 millions per year as salary. Therefore Player's contract will look like this:

Protected Salary: 2 mil/y @ 16 million total
Maximum Signing Bonus permitted:
First Year: 16 million$
Second Year: 14 millions$
Third Year: 12 million$
Fourth Year: 10 millions$
Fifth Year: 8 millions$
sixth Year: 6 millions$
seventh Year: 4 millions$
eighth Year: Not allowed

Unprotected Salary: 4 millions$/year

Total Contract worth: 118 million$/year = 14.75 millions$ /year

If something goes south in year one and the team decides to cancel the contract for example the Player would be going home with 16 millions$ + what ever amount of salary he played hockey for that year.
If something goes south in the second year then the player keeps the first year's earnings and goes home with 14 millions + what ever amount of salary he played hockey for that year.

Players are fully protected in the event something goes wrong with a team's financials, the NHL would take over and try to find said player another team to play for. As long as the player is maintaining respectable performances on the ice he is protected from a contract termination. In case the NHL goes down the contracts are voided.

This is a perfect way to allow resourceful teams to attract better talent while holding both the team and the player accountable.

Now i know what you're thinking... how do you come up with these great ideas?

I don't know what to say, to keep it 100 i am a genie and i grant wishes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad