Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I imagine that they are going to match one or possibly both. I have been of the opinion from the beginning that them making the moves to match this year wasn't going to be that difficult and they have done just that. I feel like the true danger they put themselves in, if they choose to match both, comes on July 1st 2025. They have nearly 70 mil already committed to the cap next year not including the massive contracts that Draisaitl and Bouchard are going to command. It is not going to leave them with a lot of money to replace their other UFAs with quality depth. It could also open them up to really bad scenario if it gets to July 1st and Bouch and Drai aren't extended yet. That is the only lingering thought that makes me think they may not choose to match.
I have a feeling they match both. With Kulak traded for picks, we'd be cap compliant even if Kane was healthy. You can expect an extension for Draisaitl to be announced in the next 10 days IMO. Bouchard we will work on next year and it will get done. Bowman has performed well under duress here. Oiler fans for the most part are quite happy how this shook out.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You say that as if it weren't already mid August when these offer sheets hit.

If it were that simple why weren't they signed before the offer sheets?
You’re using hindsight here.

The Oilers can go over the cap by 10% in the summer. They could have signed Broberg at anytime, and the Blues wouldn’t have known when that was going to be. So you can’t say they “should have just waited a week” as they might then missed their opportunity completely.

Also, if they offer sheeted Holloway and not Broberg, I’d think it would have raised alarm bells in Edmonton that “oh shit, we better get Broberg signed quickly before some team does the same thing to him.” They wouldn’t have sat there and twiddled their thumbs. But by doing both offer sheets at the same time, they caught the Oilers by surprise. I bet they didn’t think either player was going to get an offer sheet this late in the Summer.

F Holloway. He chose bank over trying to win, and was a willing stooge. It'd be funny if Edmonton now threatens to match for Broberg unless St. Louis sweetens the pie by giving up a 1st for a mid prospect.
And St. Louis would just say no and hang up the phone, so…? We have already shown that we aren’t interested in parting with a 1st for him, so that scenario would never happen.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I imagine that they are going to match one or possibly both. I have been of the opinion from the beginning that them making the moves to match this year wasn't going to be that difficult and they have done just that. I feel like the true danger they put themselves in, if they choose to match both, comes on July 1st 2025. They have nearly 70 mil already committed to the cap next year not including the massive contracts that Draisaitl and Bouchard are going to command. It is not going to leave them with a lot of money to replace their other UFAs with quality depth. It could also open them up to really bad scenario if it gets to July 1st and Bouch and Drai aren't extended yet. That is the only lingering thought that makes me think they may not choose to match.
They're clearly counting on Savoie, Jarventie, and Podkolzin to replace some of the depth that they know they're going to lose. Savoie seems like the wildcard here, if he turns into a top six winger on an ELC, it saves them a gigantic headache.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
where does Emberson fit in?
#7 is my guess with first call up. Point is that there are options.

You’re using hindsight here.

The Oilers can go over the cap by 10% in the summer. They could have signed Broberg at anytime, and the Blues wouldn’t have known when that was going to be. So you can’t say they “should have just waited a week” as they might then missed their opportunity completely.

Also, if they offer sheeted Holloway and not Broberg, I’d think it would have raised alarm bells in Edmonton that “oh shit, we better get Broberg signed quickly before some team does the same thing to him.” They wouldn’t have sat there and twiddled their thumbs. But by doing both offer sheets at the same time, they caught the Oilers by surprise. I bet they didn’t think either player was going to get an offer sheet this late in the Summer.

And St. Louis would just say no and hang up the phone, so…? We have already shown that we aren’t interested in parting with a 1st for him, so that scenario would never happen.
Meh, things have changed. Bowman has excelled at his first test IMO. We'll probably match both at this point. I think Kulak is going to be traded.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I have a feeling they match both. With Kulak traded for picks, we'd be cap compliant even if Kane was healthy. You can expect an extension for Draisaitl to be announced in the next 10 days IMO. Bouchard we will work on next year and it will get done. Bowman has performed well under duress here. Oiler fans for the most part are quite happy how this shook out.

You make it sound so simple and I hope it all works out for you guys but man do I worry you could be falling into a trap. Being top heavy again after the contract extensions to Drai, Bouch and McDavid in a few years eating up large chunks of your cap and the lack of high quality prospects could see your depth dropping in quality quickly. I mean your already talking about dumping Kulak who is solid defenseman just to open up space.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
You make it sound so simple and I hope it all works out for you guys but man do I worry you could be falling into a trap. Being top heavy again after the contract extensions to Drai, Bouch and McDavid in a few years eating up large chunks of your cap and the lack of high quality prospects could see your depth dropping in quality quickly. I mean your already talking about dumping Kulak who is solid defenseman just to open up space.
So Broberg can play on his natural side, you bet. Draisaitl, McDavid, and Bouchard are not taking max contracts. I think people are going to be surprised by what they eventually sign for. They are committed to winning here, and understand that it will take some financial sacrifice.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
So Broberg can play on his natural side, you bet. Draisaitl, McDavid, and Bouchard are not taking max contracts. I think people are going to be surprised by what they eventually sign for. They are committed to winning here, and understand that it will take some financial sacrifice.

I don't know if your overly optimistic or I am pessimistic but I have always viewed pro hockey as a business first. Players being quoted about their commitment to win where they are is nothing new when being questioned by press. What do you expect them to say? "I am gonna chase the bag!" They want their fans to like them. Let's take it at face value though that they do mean it as they probably genuinely do. How much of a haircut does that mean they will be willing to take? 5% 10% maybe, but if you think a player is so committed to a city their gonna sign for three quarters of their value I have bridge to sell you.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What are you projecting they sign at? They don't have to sign for the literal max for you guys to be in trouble. You are probably look at similar % of cap for McDavid and Draisaitl as guys like MacKinnon and Matthews, so 15-15.15ish%, McDavid's last deal was 15.72%, so you could even make that assumption for him. If Draisaitl signs for less than 13.5M, he's doing you guys a favor.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
What are you projecting they sign at? They don't have to sign for the literal max for you guys to be in trouble. You are probably look at similar % of cap for McDavid and Draisaitl as guys like MacKinnon and Matthews, so 15-15.15ish%, McDavid's last deal was 15.72%, so you could even make that assumption for him. If Draisaitl signs for less than 13.5M, he's doing you guys a favor.
I'll take McDavid and Drai at $30 whatever over Kyrou, Thomas, and Buchnevich at $24 million.

Why are Blues fans talking about the Oilers being in trouble when they are locked into a completely mediocore future?

• Haha
Reactions: Godfather

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'll take McDavid and Drai at $30 whatever over Kyrou, Thomas, and Buchnevich at $24 million.

Why are Blues fans talking about the Oilers being in trouble when they are locked into a completely mediocore future?
You guys are so easily triggered. If we were so irrelevant and mediocre, why be so bothered by a couple offer sheets. Yes, enjoy the best 2 players in the world that you got because your franchise was the laughing stock of the league for years and couldn't make 3 other 1st overalls work. Does asking what an Oilers fan think what Draisaitl will sign for trigger you that much?

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I have a feeling EDM will let go both Holloway and Broberg. They just acquired Podkolzin who could replace Holloway and got rid of Ceci. It cost them 3rd and 4th. They can get 2nd and 3rd as compensation. Trade that 2nd for someone like Struble (MTL has logjam of LHD young D) and use cap space to address their needs at TDL.
Holloway, Broberg, Ceci, 4th
for
Podkolzin, Struble and ton of cap space

They can sign someone like Barrie/Lindstrom if they feel the need of RHD.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
You guys are so easily triggered. If we were so irrelevant and mediocre, why be so bothered by a couple offer sheets. Yes, enjoy the best 2 players in the world that you got because your franchise was the laughing stock of the league for years and couldn't make 3 other 1st overalls work. Does asking what an Oilers fan think what Draisaitl will sign for trigger you that much?
Seems like Blues fans are the easily triggered ones. You are now concerned that you won't get a couple of players for free and start talking instead about how dire the Oilers situation is. Come on. You are in here lecturing Oilers fans non stop about how the Oilers should just do what is best for the Blues. Grow up.

• Haha
Reactions: Godfather

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Seems like Blues fans are the easily triggered ones. You are now concerned that you won't get a couple of players for free and start talking instead about how dire the Oilers situation is. Come on. You are in here lecturing Oilers fans non stop about how the Oilers should just do what is best for the Blues. Grow up.
I'm the one lecturing Oiler fans on what the Oilers should do? I'm the one acting like a petulant child? Ok bud.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I'm the one lecturing Oiler fans on what the Oilers should do? I'm the one acting like a petulant child? Ok bud.
I'm, sorry you are upset about your team's future. You can call the Oilers future doomed, but get upset about calling a team that has missed the playoffs two consecutive years mediocre to the point where you lash out at the Oilers past?

Guess it only gets to work one way around here.

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue1223

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sounds like Blues will get Holloway for a 3rd. Not a bad deal. But not one I would done. Going to create bad feelings and Oilers likely stick it to them in future. To gain a third liner not worth it

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I'm, sorry you are upset about your team's future. You can call the Oilers future doomed, but get upset about calling a team that has missed the playoffs two consecutive years mediocre to the point where you lash out at the Oilers past?

Guess it only gets to work one way around here.

We're not upset about our team's future. Got a lot of solid prospects coming soon. Y'all need Broberg and Holloway more than we do, but hey you might just get to keep them after all. Just make sure you don't squander the entire McDavid era, mkay?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
We're not upset about our team's future. Got a lot of solid prospects coming soon. Y'all need Broberg and Holloway more than we do, but hey you might just get to keep them after all. Just make sure you don't squander the entire McDavid era, mkay?
Whatever you say. Every notable D-man you have are in their mid 30s and the team is on track to miss the playoffs 3 years in a row. Sounds like a real recipe for success. Zero upcoming D-men that have even played a game in the AHL. Real envy of the league situation there.

Seems like Armstrong is getting nervous about his job making moves like this.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Whatever you say. Every notable D-man you have are in their mid 30s and the team is on track to miss the playoffs 3 years in a row. Sounds like a real recipe for success. Zero upcoming D-men that have even played a game in the AHL. Real envy of the league situation there.

He's literally already named his successor, so no, he's not nervous about his job.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Dude, you guys have been good for like 3 years after a decade and half of futility. Lucky for you one of your 4 1st overalls actually worked out for you. Will be watching you figure out your cap situation with popcorn in hand.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021

I'm not going to participate in the arguing in this thread. I am interested in what you think Draisaitl and McDavid will re-sign for in Edmonton though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad