Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Not upset with the players. Especially Broberg who got 3 to 4 times what the Oil could/would offer, and walking into a better fit (one where he's able to stay on his natural left side).

Loyalty is the wrong word, but they were part of a group that came within one game of the cup and the general attitude around the team has been to take a little less to run it back and grab reinforcements like Skinner and Arvidsson.

I get that these two aren't in the same situation as the vets, who are all coming off fat contracts and are already set up for life. But on that point, neither player has proven anything at the NHL level. (As in, these two are by far the least proven offer sheet signees since the cap was introduced.)
Cheaper short-term deals similar to Barron's (as @Roof Daddy pointed out) to see where they stood in their development wouldn't have been out of the ordinary. Plus it's not like they were getting the McLeod treatment, where he had to take a pay cut coming off his ELC (when he was already an NHL regular) because the OIl just didn't have the space for more.

Holloways's already more or less a Foegele-like player, so his money isn't bad. Add in the fact he's a bit of a walking bandaid (he's had 1 healthy season post-draft) and I can see why taking the money is a safe choice. But unlike Broberg, I think his agent is giving him some riskier advance.

St. Louis is deep and they don't have the same clear need/role for him as they do with Broberg. Nor have they invested the draft capital or development years into him as Edmonton. If he doesn't hit the ground running and/or gets injured, he could find himself buried and on the outside looking in. Not dissimilar to Kostin in Detroit.
The Oilers have, in general, enjoyed an impressive run of team health. But I can't help but notice they are losing the guys that stayed healthy (Foegele, McLeod, Ceci - whom they want to trade to keep Broberg, and adding guys with long injury histories (Skinner, Arvidsson... Holloway if they match). Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

How Edmonton will perform if these guys are not available as often as the guys they replaced.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ceci would be hard to trade and trading 2 dman will leave a big hole. Who will replace them for cheap?
Yeah, I don't think moving both is an option, and I really don't think the team is interested in moving Kulak, he's performed very well for us consistently - his only real error that will stand out is gap control on Reinhart's GWG in game 7, but he bailed the Oilers out far more than that. He's far more valuable to the team than Ceci is - or Broberg either for that matter. The only realistic hope is that someone is desperate for a 3rd pair RD and wants to trade for Ceci bad enough that they aren't going to hold Bowman's feet over the fire too badly in a trade.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Until the playoffs. Then we would have needed an upgrade regardless, just as we will now with Stecher in his spot.

I'm convinced that unless a miracle happens (Nurse trade), there is no way the Oilers match on Broberg.
It's why I hated the Desharnais signing for the Canucks - Why sign a guy for 2 million if you're only going to have to upgrade him come playoffs. Apparently management sees some untapped potential in him and I hope they're right.

The difference is that the Canucks can add about 3.5 million in cap TODAY (up to 5.5 if they wanted to go to a 21 man roster) and will be accruing cap space throughout the season. The Oilers are in a straight jacket with Kane in limbo.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Yeah, I don't think moving both is an option, and I really don't think the team is interested in moving Kulak, he's performed very well for us consistently - his only real error that will stand out is gap control on Reinhart's GWG in game 7, but he bailed the Oilers out far more than that. He's far more valuable to the team than Ceci is - or Broberg either for that matter. The only realistic hope is that someone is desperate for a 3rd pair RD and wants to trade for Ceci bad enough that they aren't going to hold Bowman's feet over the fire too badly in a trade.
Doubt any team is desparate for Ceci, not for that cap hit. Deharnais is better than Ceci and signed for cheaper price

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Until the playoffs. Then we would have needed an upgrade regardless, just as we will now with Stecher in his spot.

I'm convinced that unless a miracle happens (Nurse trade), there is no way the Oilers match on Broberg.
How will Edmo ton defense look without Broberg and Deharnais??

EKholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Stecher

That doesnt really look like a top contender defense to me. The bottom 4 is just bad 🤢

Zoupa

Jul 7, 2024

EKholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Stecher

That doesnt really look like a top contender defense to me. The bottom 4 is just bad 🤢

They'll obviously try to upgrade Ceci.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
It's why I hated the Desharnais signing for the Canucks - Why sign a guy for 2 million if you're only going to have to upgrade him come playoffs. Apparently management sees some untapped potential in him and I hope they're right.

The difference is that the Canucks can add about 3.5 million in cap TODAY (up to 5.5 if they wanted to go to a 21 man roster) and will be accruing cap space throughout the season. The Oilers are in a straight jacket with Kane in limbo.
Deharnais is a big, durable dman to replace Zadorov size and a good PKer. Am sure we will trade for a top 4 dman in the middle of the season. I think Deharnais can play 10 to 15 minutes easily as a bottom pair and as a main PK guy.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Doubt any team is desparate for Ceci, not for that cap hit. Deharnais is better than Ceci and signed for cheaper price
Desharnais is not better than Ceci. I love VD's story, but he's at best a #6 defenseman who can kill penalties. Ideally, he's a teams #7. If you look at the RD signed as free agents this summer, Ceci's contract value is actually pretty good. Most teams would rather have Ceci at his cap hit than a Matt Dumba at 3.75 or Ilya Lyubushkin at 3.25 I am sure.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Deharnais is a big, durable dman to replace Zadorov size and a good PKer. Am sure we will trade for a top 4 dman in the middle of the season. I think Deharnais can play 10 to 15 minutes easily as a bottom pair and as a main PK guy.
Desharnais isn't there to replace Zadorov. Vancouver had Zadorov playing 2nd pair minutes against top forwards. VD is an elite PK'er, but the rest of his game screams #7 defenseman. If Vancouver tries to play him the way they played Zadorov in the playoffs, he will get exposed just as he did in Edmonton, and even worse than Edmonton did to Zadorov.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Desharnais is not better than Ceci. I love VD's story, but he's at best a #6 defenseman who can kill penalties. Ideally, he's a teams #7. If you look at the RD signed as free agents this summer, Ceci's contract value is actually pretty good. Most teams would rather have Ceci at his cap hit than a Matt Dumba at 3.75 or Ilya Lyubushkin at 3.25 I am sure.
Didnt Oilers fans hate him all playoff long due to his bad play??

Desharnais isn't there to replace Zadorov. Vancouver had Zadorov playing 2nd pair minutes against top forwards. VD is an elite PK'er, but the rest of his game screams #7 defenseman. If Vancouver tries to play him the way they played Zadorov in the playoffs, he will get exposed just as he did in Edmonton, and even worse than Edmonton did to Zadorov.
I didnt say he will play at Zadorovs spot, i said he will replace his size at the back end. Canucks will probably get a top 4 D with the cap space they have to replace Z.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Didnt Oilers fans hate him all playoff long due to his bad play??
Oilers fans have hated Ceci for 2 years, even when he is playing well. Part of it is absolutely deserved, he isn't good enough to be on a 2nd pair. The jury is out on whether the Nurse - Ceci pair was struggling more due to Nurse or Ceci, they were both bad. But Desharnais was even worse, there's a reason he was sat for Broberg in the first place.

Zoupa

Jul 7, 2024
Doubt they can upgrade with little cap space. It would have to be a TDL acquisition

That's what I meant. You said it doesn't look like a contending team. They will obviously make the playoffs and their D can look a bit different by then.

Oilers fans have hated Ceci for 2 years, even when he is playing well. Part of it is absolutely deserved, he isn't good enough to be on a 2nd pair. The jury is out on whether the Nurse - Ceci pair was struggling more due to Nurse or Ceci, they were both bad. But Desharnais was even worse, there's a reason he was sat for Broberg in the first place.

It's less to do with Ceci's objective level and more to do with finding a better fit for Nurse. We would prefer replacing Nurse, but that obviously isn't going to happen so that puts Ceci on the chopping block.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I didnt say he will play at Zadorovs spot, i said he will replace his size at the back end. Canucks will probably get a top 4 D with the cap space they have to replace Z.
Desharnais is big, but don't mistake him for a guy who will play a hard hitting game. He's great in front of the net, he'll clear guys away so they can't get loose pucks, but he isn't doing any damage physically like Zadorov did. He'll be Vancouver's #6, and if they are smart, they will have him as their #7 going into the playoffs. Say what you want about Cody Ceci's play, he's a guy you can play every night if you don't over-expose him. Oilers coaches just consistently have felt like he was the best guy to overexpose instead of Desharnais (who also failed in the spot next to Nurse), or Broberg, who finally got his chance in the conference finals and looked good.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Hopefully floodgates open on offer sheets. Instead of buddy buddy GMs protecting their friends in other organizations.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I wasn't all that surprised when you guys won, I was more surprised how poorly things had gone that season.

As for the oilers, I take a lot of flack but I think they are a WC team this season. Not a fan of the moves they made and I think their dcorp and goaltending sucks.

With or without Broberg it's weak but without this is a cup D?

Nurse-Ceci
Eckholm -Bouchard
Kulak- Stecher.
If Ekholm gets injured, that will cause a huge problem imo. Canucks have much better depth on D

Canucks D:
Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Deharnais
Juulsen-Friedman

Oilers lost 2 NHL dman if Broberg goes. Which means they need to replace that depth due to injuries that might occur in regular season.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The team moved Holloway to Drai and McDavid line many times. It's his for the taking if he can sustain any resemblance of a top 6 player. He's only shown flashes here and there
Holloway stays. He has the hunger and plays the playoff style hockey we need.

I agree he's not really a good top 6 guy, but that is ok

• Haha
Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

EKholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Stecher

And if you move Ceci to get cap compliant it’s even worse. And no real cap space to improve it.
They are in a tough spot for a team that is all in this year.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
And if you move Ceci to get cap compliant it’s even worse. And no real cap space to improve it.
They are in a tough spot.
Wouldn't moving Nurse just a an absolute dream? Imagine if Nurse goes to SJ out of all this...

IT'S NICE TO DREAM

That would eat into the potential cap space gained for letting broberg go. Unless they can trade Kane for a pick
It doesn't matter.

You could have traded Holloway and Broberg for both. You didn't

We don't have young assets. They can't let them go.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
When I saw Justin Barron get signed for 2yrs x 1.15, I thought that was a decent benchmark for offers for Broberg and Holloway. Man was I wrong.
If someone had offered me Broberg for Barron a few days ago, I would have packed Barron's suitcase myself to send his soft, sorry ass away from here.

I do think Broberg's offer is crazy. But I think many would take a chance on him at 2M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad