Half-Assed GDT: STL CHI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Just got home from the game, couple of thoughts.

- First Dvorsky, I thought he played well. His line created chances and he didn't seem out of place. The one thing I will say is there are moments when he has the puck where you can see him thinking instead of just playing. I know it sounds ridiculous but I don't know any other way to describe it.

- Parayko was the best player on the ice tonight. Man was he moving well tonight. Do more of that 55, use your skating.

- Holloway was excellent, the most dangerous forward on the ice tonight. Was everywhere on the forecheck and looked like a legit top6 forward.

- I thought Texier played well but was playing a different game then his linemates. Not saying Toropchenko and Walker played poorly but I don't feel like their games meshed well.

Leddy, Loof, Kessel, Saad, Neighbours, Binnington and Ellis all played well. Everyone else was kind of invisible or in the case Kaskimaki and Perunovich played poorly. Perunovich can not be our PPQB come regular season, he is too indecisive and predictable with the puck.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Just got home from the game, couple of thoughts.

- First Dvorsky, I thought he played well. His line created chances and he didn't seem out of place. The one thing I will say is there are moments when he has the puck where you can see him thinking instead of just playing. I know it sounds ridiculous but I don't know any other way to describe it.

- Parayko was the best player on the ice tonight. Man was he moving well tonight. Do more of that 55, use your skating.

- Holloway was excellent, the most dangerous forward on the ice tonight. Was everywhere on the forecheck and looked like a legit top6 forward.

- I thought Texier played well but was playing a different game then his linemates. Not saying Toropchenko and Walker played poorly but I don't feel like their games meshed well.

Leddy, Loof, Kessel, Saad, Neighbours, Binnington and Ellis all played well. Everyone else was kind of invisible or in the case Kaskimaki and Perunovich played poorly. Perunovich can not be our PPQB come regular season, he is too indecisive and predictable with the puck.

In the Dvorsky front, you see that a lot with young players in almost all sports. Someone’s going to eventually tell him to stop and play his game and it’ll click.

I noticed it as well when I was watching. He needs some form of a confidence boost or just a little bit of time.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I think he's borderline. Part of the speed problem is that he's a "slow down the game" type and he's been played with a lot of "off the rush" type players. I'd really like to see him and Tex together for a bit. I think they could really develop some chemistry together.

But even if you're right, is that really going to improve in the AHL?
The AHL isn't a "speed" League. It's a "physicality" league. It's where you send guys when they need to add some muscle/toughness. I'm not sure that's the area Dvorsky needs to work on.
Well he needs ice time first and foremost. And a lot of it. He looks good at times but he needs some seasoning and it wouldn’t hurt to put on some muscle. He will still be playing with men.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Parayko was the best player on the ice.

Holloway is a top 6-9 player. There is no reason and no one in front of him that has played to where he doesn't deserve a spot. I see a 20+ goal scorer. He and Joseph seemed to have some chemistry.

Texier is quite the player. He is impressive with the puck and also made some slick passes. I wasn't expecting that much from him.

Schenn just was invisible. Saad, Torp, Walker, and Faksa played well. Kaskimaki did some things and covered up defensively when other forwards didn't. He needs some AHL time, but the light might come on.

Loof looked really good tonight. Good, crisp, safe first passes. Very solid D. Couple big hits that didn't take him out of position. Stood up for his teammate. Maybe a more disciplined version of Burns at this point.

Kessel played well. Smart.

The Blues may need to watch the waiver wire and maybe trade or pick up a center. They need another player at the bottom winning faceoffs. They have plenty of wingers. I don't know if it is worth Dvo's development to keep him for faceoffs. I think the AHL is worth a shot.

I just see enough players stepping up and improving to where Tucker and Peru are expendable. Joseph seems to be able to do a bit of what both of them can and passed them. He isn't afraid and he isn't a slug with the puck. Hockey smurf can do some things with the puck. Slick passes, etc. He is a turnstile on defense though. Athanasiou saw him later after he blew by him like nothing and cut to the middle.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Parayko was the best player on the ice.

Holloway is a top 6-9 player. There is no reason and no one in front of him that has played to where he doesn't deserve a spot. I see a 20+ goal scorer. He and Joseph seemed to have some chemistry.

Texier is quite the player. He is impressive with the puck and also made some slick passes. I wasn't expecting that much from him.

Schenn just was invisible. Saad, Torp, Walker, and Faksa played well. Kaskimaki did some things and covered up defensively when other forwards didn't. He needs some AHL time, but the light might come on.

Loof looked really good tonight. Good, crisp, safe first passes. Very solid D. Couple big hits that didn't take him out of position. Stood up for his teammate. Maybe a more disciplined version of Burns at this point.

Kessel played well. Smart.

The Blues may need to watch the waiver wire and maybe trade or pick up a center. They need another player at the bottom winning faceoffs. They have plenty of wingers. I don't know if it is worth Dvo's development to keep him for faceoffs. I think the AHL is worth a shot.

I just see enough players stepping up and improving to where Tucker and Peru are expendable. Joseph seems to be able to do a bit of what both of them can and passed them. He isn't afraid and he isn't a slug with the puck. Hockey smurf can do some things with the puck. Slick passes, etc. He is a turnstile on defense though. Athanasiou saw him later after he blew by him like nothing and cut to the middle.
Schenn being invisible totally makes sense. He didn't play.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think he's borderline. Part of the speed problem is that he's a "slow down the game" type and he's been played with a lot of "off the rush" type players. I'd really like to see him and Tex together for a bit. I think they could really develop some chemistry together.

But even if you're right, is that really going to improve in the AHL?
The AHL isn't a "speed" League. It's a "physicality" league. It's where you send guys when they need to add some muscle/toughness. I'm not sure that's the area Dvorsky needs to work on.
The AHL is a faster and more physical league than where he played last year. He would also be playing against men, some with NHL experience and some who will be future NHLers. It’s not a bad place for him to continue to evolve his game and build confidence in his ability to play against men/a next tier of talent.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The thing about Dvorsky is he has already decided inside of himself nothing can stop his improvement because that is a defining quality he has. He's relentless inside himself. So to me it doesn't matter whether he is sent down to start the year or not

Reactions: Linkens Mastery

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The AHL is a faster and more physical league than where he played last year. He would also be playing against men, some with NHL experience and some who will be future NHLers. It’s not a bad place for him to continue to evolve his game and build confidence in his ability to play against men/a next tier of talent.
Agree. I think the confidence boost that someone mentioned will come in the form of consistently playing against some physically mature men and having success.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Agree. I think the confidence boost that someone mentioned will come in the form of consistently playing against some physically mature men and having success.

Agree as well. I know I might sound like a broken record, but he's playing against a lot of AHL competition right now. It's great to see young players doing well this preseason, but it's still the preseason. The intensity level is gonna go up a lot once the real season starts.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad