Post-Game Talk: Steelcroft: (Not) Far From Home

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Holy man you're quickly heading to the ignore list... What hockey player are you watching??? Hyman PKs amd is by far our best winger at winning battles and getting pucks out.

Mangiapane is also about to get PAID and has a crazy sh%.

Its in your best interest to ignore them. Bit of a personality situation going on there.

Reactions: Marty McSurly

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Hyman is pretty outside on scoring 30 this year. Limited runway left to get another 15. Yes I understand pace, but results are 15 so far with only 35 games remaining.

Hyman has not been good on our pk. WE've been using him, he hasn't been very good at it. For the Hymans GFON/60 EV is high, and hurting the team. McD is a very agressive forward. More than a Center typically is. So that Pulju ideally covers for McD. When Hyman is not seeing Pulju his numbers are bad. Pulju is the one stitching the topline togetther or its GA this season would be worse. Pulju, McD, Have both been better in own zone play this season than Hyman. Considering Hyman was specifically been brought in to be a high priced support player for McD, his performance has been disappointing. We have to hope it gets better.
He had a bit of a bad stretch playing through that shoulder injury before we were shut down from covid. Outside of that Hyman has been excellent. He forechecks like crazy, backchecks like crazy, can play both special teams, both wings and will score 25+ goals this year. He’s exactly what I expected.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It should be Vegas, Oilers and Flames in the top 3 in the pacific. I think they are the best 3 teams in the Pacific. But yeah its closer than it should be, because Holland took too long to replace Tippett.
Yep, totally agree. In all reality the Oilers need to focus on finishing ahead of LA and Ana. That should be doable but they’ve made it a lot harder than it needed to be by hanging onto Tippett as long as they did.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Holy man you're quickly heading to the ignore list... What hockey player are you watching??? Hyman PKs amd is by far our best winger at winning battles and getting pucks out.

I'm not sure what you find in the post is so unreasonable to have this reaction to it.

Hyman's EV GA this season is subpar for what he brings. Pulju running much better all round numbers. Pulju has played 5 more games and has 6 less GA and considering some of his GA are due to Hyman being caught up ice lots.

What you attribute to Hyman is mostly Pulju doing the work.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

Honestly Hyman scares the f*** out of me the way he ignores the point man in 5vs5 and especially the PK. Our first losses in the Tippett great loss streak were helped by an ADAM LARSSON point shot because Hyman ignored him. Then the next game a rookie (I think it was kings but I’m dumb) scored from a point shot after Hyman ignored him.

His defensive play hasn’t been leading to GA lately, but there are subtleties that I’m sure Woodcroft will iron out since he is a smart man. I do agree that Hyman is an awesome puck retriever/zone clearer and battles very well. But his point coverage needs help and sometimes he does get caught deep (usually after a deflected/blocked pass). He is on his way to being worth the contract though

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hyman and Woodcroft’s system responsible for helping to create the first goal last night:

Hyman funnels the defender to the boards by taking away the pass through the middle. Pulju in perfect position to pick off the boards pass.

Woodcroft isn’t reinventing the wheel here. These are basic hockey concepts that for some reason Tippett neglected to emphasize.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Of course it isnt verbatim.

No, Tippets defensive strategies were not good for two years. They have been depressing and frustrating the whole time.

Your whole, well we have to wait a year schtick works both ways though. So if you want to stop criticising the change and picking a part things like Hymans plus minus under a different coach, we can all stop trying to explain why that coach sucked and why this one seems to be implementing a far superior strategy almost instantly.

We could, Ya know, enjoy this.

Completely fair. I've said the same at different times. tbh I just don't trust this roster to get it done. especially if we don't get a ringer goalie in here. Being a fan is often faith based. The team going on a two month long struggle seemed to kill my faith in the club. Not turning it off or giving up. Just where I'm at.

cheers and thanks for the exchange

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Doesn't matter. Its not a usual game. Its a game saluting your legend Player, Drew Doughty. You think him, Kopitar, and Brown don't want to see Quick in net? lmao. This was indescribably dumb by McLellan and I predicted after the first period that it would end up being a bonehead move by McLellan, again overthinking hijmself.

Of course in a 1000 game commemoration you play the team mate that backdropped you to two cups. only an idiot wouldn't.
Putting in a goalie for sentimental reasons would be over thinking.

Reactions: oilers'72

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I'm not sure what you find in the post is so unreasonable to have this reaction to it.

Hyman's EV GA this season is subpar for what he brings. Pulju running much better all round numbers. Pulju has played 5 more games and has 6 less GA and considering some of his GA are due to Hyman being caught up ice lots.

What you attribute to Hyman is mostly Pulju doing the work.

Unreasonable is that you call JP heading to Selke level:shakehead while underselling Hyman as a player over one stat

Let's compare some other stats?

Does Hyman carry the puck more than JP? Yes
Does Hyman cycle better? Yes
Does Hyman PK better? Yes
Does Hyman shoot better? Yes
Does Hyman make way better decisions with the puck? Yes

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I have a bit of a soft spot for Foegele as he reminds me of guy I used to play hockey with years ago. That guy had a fantastic work ethic and would dig in the corners and in front of the net like nobodies business, problem was he had hands made of concrete. We nicknamed this guy "shovels" for his ability to dig in the corners and his knack to be able shovel loose pucks in to the net occasionally. Foegele is the NHL version of that guy to me, so henceforth I will refer to Foegele as "shovels"

In fairness Canes told us all this. That Foegele would be a frustrating player that rarely finishes and just blows chances. Shovels is at least getting some assists, heh.

Reactions: Juxta Position

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So easily satisfied. Marzipan in Calgary has 24 goals playing with worse players. You know goal scoring among topsix players is way up this year right? 73 players have scored as many goals as Hyman has this season and Hyman is -4, somehow, playing with the best player in the world and getting set up constantly. The expectation here is playing with generational talent on top line, and on top unit PP, that Hyman would score 30 and be at least an outscorer.

Man, we don't expect much from players here. Hyman is a one dimensional player's who's only dimension is scoring. He ain't much else.
Not sure what you are talking about here. Hyman is far from a one dimensional player.. he is as complete as they come with good 200ft game, work ethic, PK, PP and grit.

If anything scoring is secondary for him yet he still has 8 pts in last 10 and 15G on the season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Unreasonable is that you call JP heading to Selke level:shakehead while underselling Hyman as a player over one stat

Let's compare some other stats?

Does Hyman carry the puck more than JP? Yes
Does Hyman cycle better? Yes
Does Hyman PK better? Yes
Does Hyman shoot better? Yes
Does Hyman make way better decisions with the puck? Yes

Is Hyman a Vet player in prime. Yes
Is Hyman very high paid to be here. Yes

Pulju is a work in progress, and I see potential Selke_LIKE player I stated. I don't think he'll ever win the selke. But he's the most honest player we have in the topsix and running the best numbers in goal suppression. No small pont. Pulju, despite his own production numbers also contributes to a lot of our goals by being in the paint, being hard to remove, eating constant punishment to create room and goals around the net. I mean even last night. I like what Pulju brings to a club.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Hyman is pretty outside on scoring 30 this year. Limited runway left to get another 15. Yes I understand pace, but results are 15 so far with only 35 games remaining.

Hyman has not been good on our pk. WE've been using him, he hasn't been very good at it. For the Hymans GFON/60 EV is high, and hurting the team. McD is a very agressive forward. More than a Center typically is. So that Pulju ideally covers for McD. When Hyman is not seeing Pulju his numbers are bad. Pulju is the one stitching the topline togetther or its GA this season would be worse. Pulju, McD, Have both been better in own zone play this season than Hyman. Considering Hyman was specifically been brought in to be a high priced support player for McD, his performance has been disappointing. We have to hope it gets better.
4-4-8 and + 5 in his last 10 games. Aka he’s been great lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Has he been a good Edmonton Oiler? I mean yank my chain, you know that to this point he's been pretty limited. Hopefully he starts to be a good or useful player. He only played 10mins last night so the coach he's brown nosing ain't convinced either.

I mean this is a vet playre in prime, turning 26 in a month, that has played a lot in the NHL. He shouldn't be remedial.
If I’m Woodcroft I sit Foegele down and tell him not to worry as much about scoring and start focusing on being defensively responsible and HIT everything that moves. The points will come somewhat for him but his biggest asset to this team should be forechecking, hitting and defensive awareness. IMO of course.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Is Hyman a Vet player in prime. Yes
Is Hyman very high paid to be here. Yes

Pulju is a work in progress, and I see potential Selke_LIKE player I stated. I don't think he'll ever win the selke. But he's the most honest player we have in the topsix and running the best numbers in goal suppression. No small pont. Pulju, despite his own production numbers also contributes to a lot of our goals by being in the paint, being hard to remove, eating constant punishment to create room and goals around the net. I mean even last night. I like what Pulju brings to a club.

Do you watch games? JP makes some fantastic backchecks yes, but ALOT are b/c he abandons the play offensively or kills it. His D stats are kind of like Russels blockshot stats of letting ppl walk in on the blueline so he can block the shot instead

JP throws the puck away NEEDLESSLY all the time in the ozone but the fact he hustles back right after is what you are giving him credit for

A prime example would be a play yesterday where he got a pass at the point on the cycle. He has the reach, speed and time to take a step and make a play, but he just stood there and literally tried to pass it down to a guy that was tied up by TWO players. But thankfully he hustled back fast enough lol, he deseves high praises on that play for being back after obliterating a cycle

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hyman-RNH duo on PK has been as good as they get.

Hyman is +3 in 2022 and Draisaitl a -3 if that stat really matters.

There are many other players to bash before Hyman.. only issue with him and most of the Oilers is not filling the net. I guess we can't expect a goal every game.

The guy is still one of our better 5on5 forward if not the best.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Do you watch games? JP makes some fantastic backchecks yes, but ALOT are b/c he abandons the play offensively or kills it. His D stats are kind of like Russels blockshot stats of letting ppl walk in on the blueline so he can block the shot instead

JP throws the puck away NEEDLESSLY all the time in the ozone but the fact he hustles back right after is what you are giving him credit for

A prime example would be a play yesterday where he got a pass at the point on the cycle. He has the reach, speed and time to take a step and make a play, but he just stood there and literally tried to pass it down to a guy that was tied up by TWO players. But thankfully he hustled back fast enough lol, he deseves high praises on that play for being back after obliterating a cycle

Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind corrections. Maybe you got a better bead on the player. Looks like people think I'm wrong on Hyman, which is fine. In fairness its been a difficult season for a number of reasons. I watch all the games. I agree that Pulju mechanics and control are not good enough. But he does compensate with hustle, frequent miles, heh. He is a bull in all zones and hard to play against. I have a tendency to like physically strong players. Pulju could hit more than he does. So could Drai.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Hyman-RNH duo on PK has been as good as they get.

Hyman is +3 in 2022 and Draisaitl a -3 if that stat really matters.

There are many other players to bash before Hyman.. only issue with him and most of the Oilers is not filling the net. I guess we can't expect a goal every game.

The guy is still one of our better 5on5 forward if not the best.

I like Hyman and have been happy with him, but this is quite a stretch.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind corrections. Maybe you got a better bead on the player. Looks like people think I'm wrong on Hyman, which is fine. In fairness its been a difficult season for a number of reasons. I watch all the games. I agree that Pulju mechanics and control are not good enough. But he does compensate with hustle, frequent miles, heh. He is a bull in all zones and hard to play against. I have a tendency to like physically strong players. Pulju could hit more than he does. So could Drai.

He gets pinned on the boards extremely easily and then just goes limp for a guy that size but goes to the net and is alot more assertive. Makes no sense. His IQ in certain situations is really on display

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He gets pinned on the boards extremely easily and then just goes limp for a guy that size but goes to the net and is alot more assertive. Makes no sense. His IQ in certain situations is really on display

Sometimes. But other times I see a lot of push back. I mean its likely that Pulju could be playing through injuries as well. Players eat a lot of punishment in the paint and nobody is in there as much as Pulju is. Hyman is more in/ out, cloaking into spots. Pulju sets up shop kind of Smyth style (wish he had the hands)

thanks again for a reasonable exchange. I appreciate people taking the time to point out where I'm wrong.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad