State of the Bruins: Will there be one ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PrisonMike

Nov 26, 2007
McKinney,TX
Like the title says, Will there be a "State of the Bruins" this year ? Maybe because of the last two seasons, they are afraid of the negative questions/atmosphere ? Anyone heard anything from reps/media ?

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Last year I asked a question because I was told I'd get a free souvenir. I never got anything... What a rip off... My rep said it'd come in the mail...

Hopefully someone asks a good question, like how do they feel about the defense.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Just to keep things interesting I hope someone asks Jacobs that if they miss the playoffs again will Cam and Don and Claude get fired.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Feel bad for them the predictable questions that will be asked won't have a correct answer. Hope they heavily moderate it.

No they don't want to look like scorned lovers saying Vesey stinks and they don't really care he chose NYR nor do they want to fluff some kid who has never played a minute of NHL hockey saying they are very disappointed he chose NYR. Lose lose.

Answering questions about who has final say between Donny/Cam/Charlie or if they think they will get fired if they miss the playoffs etc etc etc.

Haven't gone in a few years but there has been some dumb questions. One guy asked Cam to switch the ends of the banners because he didn't like looking at the Celtics and couldn't see ours. Lol.

They do need to acknowledge that we have to play well first few home games and can't have any stinkers. If we hadn't had those ugly early season home games last year we coast to the 3-4 seed mediocre D and all.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Like the title says, Will there be a "State of the Bruins" this year ? Maybe because of the last two seasons, they are afraid of the negative questions/atmosphere ? Anyone heard anything from reps/media ?

no need, I just read here what the state of the team is:sarcasm:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Last year I asked a question because I was told I'd get a free souvenir. I never got anything... What a rip off... My rep said it'd come in the mail...

Hopefully someone asks a good question, like how do they feel about the defense.

I think the "good" question is "what are you going to do about the defense this year"?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I meant to bring this up- there won't be one this yr.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I meant to bring this up- there won't be one this yr.

oh well, every year when the thread about this opens up with fans who went offering their opinions, it usually winds up being a 12 pager about how uninspired B`s fans were with the festivities and it turns into another thread I can`t stomach reading through

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
It is listed in the season ticket perks so...

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=68104

Went to vet yesterday to get my dog heart worn pills and a friend of mine who has had seats 20+ years works there told me because of World Cup of hockey the players and staff are at it which makes sense there will be no state of Bruins

I also went out to dinner with another group (if you live in North Shore go to the Blue Marlin in Essex for seafood- and the have 24 oz drafts as well). Had the best fried clams ever - amazing; and talked some Bruins

Anyways learned a bunch of Bruins news including a rumor or not that Marchand like Bergeron could be looking to build/buy in the Newton area. Rask already there and don't expect him waiving anything soon- good I still rate him on any given year top 5 goalies on the planet

I can see why the players would want to live in that area -my kid goes to school there and the Mayor of the Bruins lives there (JD Drew lived directly next door and was a better neighbor than player)

But the word I got was the Bruins and Marchand want each other and these two kids should be able to live happy ever after

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Went to vet yesterday to get my dog heart worn pills and a friend of mine who has had seats 20+ years works there told me because of World Cup of hockey the players and staff are at it which makes sense there will be no state of Bruins

I also went out to dinner with another group (if you live in North Shore go to the Blue Marlin in Essex for seafood- and the have 24 oz drafts as well). Had the best fried clams ever - amazing; and talked some Bruins

Anyways learned a bunch of Bruins news including a rumor or not that Marchand like Bergeron could be looking to build/buy in the Newton area. Rask already there and don't expect him waiving anything soon- good I still rate him on any given year top 5 goalies on the planet

I can see why the players would want to live in that area -my kid goes to school there and the Mayor of the Bruins lives there (JD Drew lived directly next door and was a better neighbor than player)

But the word I got was the Bruins and Marchand want each other and these two kids should be able to live happy ever after

I'm a self employed locksmith (25 years in business) and do extensive work within (sometimes outside of 128). Newton, Winchester are two of the nicest toniest towns in the area. Of course there are others but both towns are on major highways with back-roads that lead into the city in a pinch.

As a matter of fact, one of my employees lives in Newton and I can call him and have him at a job (if he starts out at home) within an hour no matter the location.
I know that there are other convenient locations but I'm not surprised that other players haven't picked up on these two towns sooner.
Harry Sinden and Cam Neely live live in Winchester (the town next to mine).
BTW:I know that Rask and Marchand lived very close at one of the "wharf" condo's in Charlestown .

fighterfoo

Time for a change.
Nov 29, 2005
Manchester, NH
Last I heard they needed to secure an outdoor location as they couldn't get a permit to hold it indoors. After all, the current state of the Bruins is:

DumpsterFire2.jpg

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I think the "good" question is "what are you going to do about the defense this year"?

Agreed... That's a far more productive way at looking at it.

But realistically they told me last year I had to ask the exact question I submitted when I was picked. I don't know what the ramifications were if I didn't but I'd imagine they aren't going to select someone that will ask a question the team isn't prepared and doesn't want answered. Also everything they say is scripted bs anyway...

But world cup would make it very difficult to do now that it's been mentioned.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Agreed... That's a far more productive way at looking at it.

But realistically they told me last year I had to ask the exact question I submitted when I was picked. I don't know what the ramifications were if I didn't but I'd imagine they aren't going to select someone that will ask a question the team isn't prepared and doesn't want answered. Also everything they say is scripted bs anyway...

But world cup would make it very difficult to do now that it's been mentioned.

It's good to see the Bruins aren't afraid to answer tough questions from the fans without having everything staged.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I remember your mentioning that you also asked a question last year....you should ask your rep again. Yeesh. I got a signed puck, which is just about what I was hoping for, but I had to ask my rep. Only had to ask him once, and he's been a pretty good rep.

Mine was a total shill question: basically along the lines of, "Cam, we know you helped design the Winter Classic jerseys for 2010 - any previews on what we might expect this year?" He said it would be black, which I guess was breaking news.

For the record, if they cancel the SotB, I don't think it has to do with negative questions. Two years ago the tone was okay, but I think that was right before the Boychuk trade. Questions were spontaneous that year, AFAIK. Last year, EVERY question was prescreened - you could send it via email and you'd be lined up beforehand, or "live tweet" a question.

If you asked a question live, Caryn would introduce the general topic of your question....so I couldn't have switched it up and asked, "Yo, Cam, what was really up with the Seguin trade?", or, "Hey, Charlie...your dad gave us hot dogs last year. What's up with no hot dogs this year?"

If they've cancelled it, then why? Probably because literally everyone will be in Toronto at the WCoH during the day that it would be held. I think it's typically held on the evening of their first day of off-ice testing. There are typically three team members, and right now I'd say the most notable players not in the WCoH are Beleskey, Spooner, Vatrano, Krug, and McQuaid. Maybe throw Krejci in there, but they didn't know he'd be available....and maybe throw Spooner out of there because...well, you never know about last minute trades.

Plus, with no Clode, who represents coaching? That's a spot on the podium that you literally can't replace.

If they're smart, they'll do something else for the STHs during the season - like the game show two years ago or the jersey reveal in Seaport last year. They have ample time to do that this year, particularly in February, when we have the new NHL bye mini-week.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'm a self employed locksmith (25 years in business) and do extensive work within (sometimes outside of 128). Newton, Winchester are two of the nicest toniest towns in the area. Of course there are others but both towns are on major highways with back-roads that lead into the city in a pinch.

As a matter of fact, one of my employees lives in Newton and I can call him and have him at a job (if he starts out at home) within an hour no matter the location.
I know that there are other convenient locations but I'm not surprised that other players haven't picked up on these two towns sooner.
Harry Sinden and Cam Neely live live in Winchester (the town next to mine).
BTW:I know that Rask and Marchand lived very close at one of the "wharf" condo's in Charlestown .

Great areas - and I'm not surprised. With the new practice rink there it is logical

You know who else lives in Winchester ? Corey Kluber of the Indians.

Highatop308

Only took 4 months!
Jun 23, 2010
308, row 15. seat 28
My friend emailed her rep a few questions, one of which involving State of the Bruins just to see what he'd say and this was his response..

And lastly, we have not set a date for the state of the Bruins just yet as I believe it is going to be a little different this year. More details are to follow!

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
It's good to see the Bruins aren't afraid to answer tough questions from the fans without having everything staged.

LOL….All the questions are staged. I am a season ticket holder and in the past have asked me to submit questions and they have selected the softball questions and those are the people selected in the crowd to ask the questions. I decided last minute not to go because its the same old goofy questions. I was planning on asking a tougher question than I submitted though….

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
LOL….All the questions are staged. I am a season ticket holder and in the past have asked me to submit questions and they have selected the softball questions and those are the people selected in the crowd to ask the questions. I decided last minute not to go because its the same old goofy questions. I was planning on asking a tougher question than I submitted though….

Before they cancelled this the question I was to ask was something like this

'This is for Don Sweeney. Don, with the lack of prospects and the bad cap situation you were left with how difficult was it to restock the system and get cap flexibility knowing that the average Bruins fan has the patience of a 3 year old.'

I hope they give me the same question next year to ask

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Before they cancelled this the question I was to ask was something like this

'This is for Don Sweeney. Don, with the lack of prospects and the bad cap situation you were left with how difficult was it to restock the system and get cap flexibility knowing that the average Bruins fan has the patience of a 3 year old.'

I hope they give me the same question next year to ask

This is for Mr. Jacobs, " I feel that I am getting absolutely ripped off by paying full price for 3 preseason games which are not NHL caliber games yet i am paying NHL caliber price. Fix this".

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is for Mr. Jacobs, " I feel that I am getting absolutely ripped off by paying full price for 3 preseason games which are not NHL caliber games yet i am paying NHL caliber price. Fix this".

Charging full price for the first preseason game on September 26th against COLUMBUS is borderline criminal. That is a game that should be in Providence and charging AHL prices considering the coach and several players will be in Toronto for the World Cup.

The team is indicating ticket sales are fine and even suggesting the preseason games are selling well.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/805902?brand=bostonbruins?camefrom=CFC_BRUINS_1617_IND_BW_NAV

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

The only way they're going to fix this, and it's something they should look into, is by tiering Bruins games for STHs, much like the Sox already do.

Yes, you're paying $50-something for a balcony seat to a preseason game that's worth maybe $10 on the market. You're also paying that same $50 for the Saturday night Habs game that will go for $160. The bigger deal to me is that they kept the STH prices the same (and raised them on game plans!) from last year to this year. Benefits for STHs have been stripped compared to last year, mainly because there's no Winter Classic, but also because there's no State of the Bruins and the first 2 preseason games will be bereft of premium players. If anything, STH prices should take a cut - even if it's only $1 per seat per game - for PR purposes.

Tiering tickets would be easy for them to do, and it would help people who are literally selling tickets to their friends. I'd feel bad selling either of those tickets above to a friend for face - the first because I'd be cheating him, and the second because I'd be cheating myself. Adjusting face value to be closer to the realistic, actual face value would be a positive step.

Additionally, it would let the Bruins have game plans that weren't blatantly unfair. It was amazingly easy to game the system last year for game plans: the weekend 11 game plan was a good deal compared to buying individual tix online, which meant the other three plans were awful. They "fixed" that this year, making all plans pretty close to equally bad.

That said, I think the Sox got some flack from fans a year or two ago when they readjusted the ticket prices, making the gap between premium games and bargain games even wider. The average price remained the same. Seems silly to me - the Sox don't even offer weekend plans anymore, but they offer weekday plans, so any STHs coming in fresh would pay less. And, if anything, I see Yankees tickets still selling for WAY above face, while Tuesday games go way below face despite t-shirts and bobbleheads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad