Speculation: Stadium Series Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
:laugh:

The Ballpark would be cool. The thing with Jerry World is it's not really outside, which depending how you look at it is either a blessing or a curse. Personally, I'm happy with playing in one for now, I doubt hosting one is really all it's cracked up to be.

I've never liked the idea of JerryWorld for a Stars game. I thought the whole novelty about all this was about playing outdoors more than playing in a big stadium. Even if the roof is open it won't feel like an outdoor game. Ballpark makes the most sense, smallest capacity and easier to make sure they sell out..and it's actually OUTDOORS. I'd personally like to see it at the Cotton Bowl but I think that's very unlikely.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I don't know how often you guys are in the Cotton Bowl, but I'm there every year for the Texas/ou(sucks) game, and it seems to get worse year by year.

It's a dump, and would be a bad time. I'll take the Ballpark 10x out of 10.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
What makes you prefer the Cotton Bowl over the Ballpark or AT&T stadium?

Well first it's in Dallas and not out in Arlington. Plus it's outdoor in the most iconic stadiums out city has to offer. Haven't been out there since 06, but the views from there would be much better than either venue IMO.

Location is my biggest thing with the Ballpark. But the views in a baseball stadium have been absolutely awful from what I've seen so far. Much prefer the ballpark over AT&T though.

I don't have any desire to see a game at AT&T. Just uck.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't know how often you guys are in the Cotton Bowl, but I'm there every year for the Texas/ou(sucks) game, and it seems to get worse year by year.

It's a dump, and would be a bad time. I'll take the Ballpark 10x out of 10.

Thank you. I was just going to ask about the Cotton Bowl conditions because when I was there 7-8 years ago it was a dump. It's also in a terrible part of the city.

How big is the SMU stadium? Whenever I've driven by there it's beautiful. That would be a great place to see a tricked up outdoor hockey game.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

I guess that's that then. :laugh:

Literally none of the mentioned venues sound even remotely interesting to me. Cotton Bowl is a dump in the ghetto. Cowboys stadium is probably too big, not outdoors, and generally lame, and the Ballpark is a baseball stadium which would give terrible sight lines to the hockey game. Of those options the Ballpark would be my choice because it is a nice facility that comes with some cool moments.

Basically just looks like Dallas doesn't seem like a good choice for an outdoor/stadium game.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Well they had training camp in Fort Worth. But there's no way they'd hold any Stadium Series game there.

I don't think they particularly care about it being outside if they're trying to negotiate a date at Jerryworld. I guess it would just be about the spectacle and drumming up hype. Could they fill it? Maybe. Schedule it against the Blackhawks, after football is over, weekend night. Comp a hell of a lot of tix if necessary.

Fly Like a C5

Dec 22, 2008
I guess that's that then. :laugh:

Literally none of the mentioned venues sound even remotely interesting to me. Cotton Bowl is a dump in the ghetto. Cowboys stadium is probably too big, not outdoors, and generally lame, and the Ballpark is a baseball stadium which would give terrible sight lines to the hockey game. Of those options the Ballpark would be my choice because it is a nice facility that comes with some cool moments.

Basically just looks like Dallas doesn't seem like a good choice for an outdoor/stadium game.

Even though the sight lines in a baseball stadium aren't great for hockey, I don't think it's that big of a deal. No one is going to a Stadium Series game to be close to the action. Even though you have better sight lines at a football stadium you aren't anywhere near the ice and you would have a better view watching the game on TV. The whole draw of the Stadium Series is the novelty of an outdoor NHL game. Now I don't think that the DFW area really has the weather/atmosphere to really pull off an outdoor game, but if I had to pick a location it would be at the Ballpark.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Don't really care about having one in DFW. The Cotton Bowl is in the hood and Jerry World is a joke.

I'd be much more interested in an away game in Minn.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Think I would rather the Stars just play in one somewhere else than worry about hosting one.

Yeah, much rather be on the road than pay for terrible sight lines and every reporter talking about the viability of hockey in Texas and that this is not hockey weather. God forbid we don't sell out...too much can go wrong and not enough right to host. Let's play in Minnesota and troll with our North Stars unis instead.

Bkennedy*

I think the easy two choices are either a) the ballpark or b) my backyard. You guys invited.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Update: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...o-2015-16-stars-participation-not-certain.ece

According to a report by the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, the Minnesota Wild will host an outdoor game at some point during the 2015-16 season. Earlier reports had stated the Wild would host the Stars during February of the coming season at the Minnesota Twins' home, Target Field. But a league source is now saying Minnesota is at the "top of the list" to host a Stadium Series game in 2015-16.

The report did not say if the Stars are still slated to play the Stadium Series game in the city they left behind for Dallas in 1993.

The game would have been played in February 2015, but scheduling issues with local high school and college teams to use the Target Field ice during the week of the game, as well as the league's desire to cut down on outdoor games, denied the chance of the game happening.

Arno Dorian*

Sep 4, 2010
Austin, TX
As a Chicago native, I find that the winter classic et. al. is all about bad seats and no snow.

Don't see any need to bring this to Dallas. Minnesota/Dallas in Minni would be cool, though.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
The Stars’ chances of appearing in an outdoor game anytime soon are “up in the air,” and the prospect of an outdoor game in Texas is “probably a ways off,” according to team president Jim Lites.

“It’s not something that has been talked about much lately, so it’s sort of up in the air,” Lites said. “I would prefer if we were a visitor first and had a chance to go through the experience before we tried to host one, but you sort of just react to what the league tells you.”

“I think the natural venue is AT&T Stadium, because it would add to the entire experience, and that venue just isn’t available in January,” Lites said. “I think if we can work with the schedule makers and look for an opening in February, it could work, but that’s probably a ways off.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...-the-air-outdoor-game-in-texas-a-ways-off.ece

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Makes no sense at all to play it there. Even with the hole open it doesn't feel outdoors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad