Speculation: So what happens to Jake Allen?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So now that Jordan Binnington has won the cup ge is the automatic #1 next year and he should be.

But that beg the question what happens to Jake Allen? Is he traded? Bought out? Are they going to have a 4.3 million dollar backup? I highly doubt it.

What do you do with Jake Allen?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Can't imagine teams will be lining up to trade for Allen. Terrible goalie, terrible contract. I'd think the Blues would most likely just ride it out. I could see them buying Allen out if they just want to be done with him, but they don't have a pressing need to clear cap space.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Can't imagine teams will be lining up to trade for Allen. Terrible goalie, terrible contract. I'd think the Blues would most likely just ride it out. I could see them buying Allen out if they just want to be done with him, but they don't have a pressing need to clear cap space.

But keeping a 4.3 million dollar backup makes no sense

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
They gonna Ol' Yeller him

tenor.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I may stand alone, but I still like Allen. Allen/Rittich tandem isn't too bad.

Maybe something around Frolik? Blues shift the salary to forward from goalie and can juggle another trade to clear forward cap. If Blues can retain to 3-3.5 AAV, we kick in an appropriate asset.

Flames roll the dice on Allen and hope a change of scenery helps. Worst case scenario, he's no better than resigning 38 year old Mike Smith.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
If the Blues really want him out and are willing to retain 50%, I'm down for him with the Habs. Guessing he'd still come very cheap. He's a decent goalie, reminds me of Dubnyks career. Very good start of his career but has hit a rough patch. He's a 915 save percentage goalie all day every day.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Robidas Island him?

He has the NHL equivalent of rabies, and no one wants to touch him. Only way to get rid of rabies is to bite the bullet. If they want him gone they'd probably need to bite the proverbial bullet and buy him out.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I wouldn’t be upset if he was our backup next year. However, if he wants to start, I could see a swap with Ottawa for Anderson. Craig has one year left, and we can have Husso replace him after next season

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I guess the smart deal would be to trade him for a draft pick or two, to a team that needs a decent goalie ASAP.

Devils?

Flyers? :D

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's Allen vs Husso or whoever else is next in line in their organization. The only reasons to buy out Allen is that they want to open room up for Husso, or they want short term cap space at the expense of longer term cap space.

They only save about 3 million over the course of the contract buying him out. Then they also have to pay another goalie 1 million as the backup. It's almost cap neutral. The benefit is that the money gets spread over 4 years and frees up a lot of short term cash at the expense of more money on the books in years 3 and 4 of the buyout. If they ride out his contract, there'd be 0 dollars on the books in years 3 and 4.

A trade with half salary retained might be a more viable middle ground. Whether another team would do that, I don't know. The free agent goalie market is not very strong. Allen at 2.175 x 2 isn't that great of an overpayment. He probably gets in the 1.5-2 type range as a UFA.

Ultimately, it won't hurt to have goaltending depth.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I guess the smart deal would be to trade him for a draft pick or two, to a team that needs a decent goalie ASAP.

Devils?

Flyers? :D

I'll take Allen on the Flyers to back up Hart, but he'd be coming with a draft pick and getting nothing in return.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I wouldn’t be upset if he was our backup next year. However, if he wants to start, I could see a swap with Ottawa for Anderson. Craig has one year left, and we can have Husso replace him after next season
Done deal

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
Eat em for two years... Binnington is a 25 yo rfa da feasts on these types of negotiations. Jake back up for two years with Binnington at a low cap hit still less than most teams goalie tandems

Reactions: YP44

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So now that Jordan Binnington has won the cup ge is the automatic #1 next year and he should be.

But that beg the question what happens to Jake Allen? Is he traded? Bought out? Are they going to have a 4.3 million dollar backup? I highly doubt it.

What do you do with Jake Allen?

But keeping a 4.3 million dollar backup makes no sense

Buyout or backup. Not many options w that contract.

congrats on the SC.
---------------

I have said this before and despite allusions to something better which I have not seen, there is a thread the needle win win here.

overpriced for overpriced

Jake Allen G for Brendan Smith D/W
virtually identical contracts, cap

Creates space for Blues to add a reasonably priced back up, restructures their net situation. Adds emergency D or 4th line W depth, or send him to the A. Allen only has value if his game is at peak AND there is opening --- hard to move --- likely caused by injury to a starter somewhere, creating an emergency. Blues still need to get their backup in place, and can't keep Allen with the team and suddenly ship him off. So it's either eat him at the A, or get something for him.
Smith as a skater may be easier to unload, esp if you eat half of that 4.35.

Rangers ARE overloaded in G.
However, 2 big things.
First they can ship off Georgiev for swag = spot for Shesty, who may/may not be ready day 1. Even still, I take that chance. Hank is starter. Kid will be ready soon enuf.
Second, they have all world goalie coach Benoit Allaire. They max Allen's performance, upping his value, and wait for opportune time to move as per injury scenario, which happens every year, just can't say when, or if you have to wait extensively for it.

Rangers have emerging LD and excess vets need to go.
Allen not a fit for SLB

win win

Last edited:

Yannickg

May 8, 2019
Saint louis just need , to retain 1.3 mil or a roster player + a second round this year and a third next year to any team with cap space and who need a back up.
Similar to Steve Mason trade (winnipeg/Mtl)

Last edited:

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I may stand alone, but I still like Allen. Allen/Rittich tandem isn't too bad.

Maybe something around Frolik? Blues shift the salary to forward from goalie and can juggle another trade to clear forward cap. If Blues can retain to 3-3.5 AAV, we kick in an appropriate asset.

Flames roll the dice on Allen and hope a change of scenery helps. Worst case scenario, he's no better than resigning 38 year old Mike Smith.

I was thinking the same thing but I think it only works of the Blues retain more than they're comfortable with. Would pretty much need to keep 50% and I can't imagine they'd want to retain more than 1 mil

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I could see St. Louis keeping him for at least 1 more year. Definitely at least till Binnington is re-signed as they would lose all leverage if dealt before.

At the end of the 19-20 season when he has only 1 year left I could see a market for him but would not expect a big return if dealt.

Reactions: CPTN71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad