Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Jaccob Slavin signs extension with the Hurricanes (8 years, $6.46125M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
When judging the contract keep in mind he's 30, not 27 and got 8 years.
That's how you get to $6.4M and not 8+.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I dont believe that anywhere near as many players in the league are taking discounts to stay with their teams...that's a dumb, naive thing fans overblow and make up everytime something that appears team friendly happens, particularly with the earning potential in this sport being so much lower than the other major leagues.

I've never bought into the narrative of Slavin being the most underrated player in the league. I mean, it's clearly either that the league doesn't actually agree with that (hence him being paid like a good #2 defensemen and not a #1), or he/his agent got fleeced. I think it's the former...the league probably just doesn't see him in the same light as fans do, and the league is usually more correct than fans are.

• Haha
Reactions: SnS

Kiorei

Jan 22, 2014
Denton, Texas
Happy for him. He's a good person inside and out from what I've seen. He was never going to leverage for a huge deal. Hopefully he ages gracefully but he does have a lot of miles on him. Good job Canes.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Underpayed compared to his peers and underappreciated.. dude has only finished top 10 in Norris voting once.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Using $93 mil as an estimate for 25-26, Vlasic accounted for the equivalent of $8.19 mil in year 1 of his contract.
More about the age/term and defensive dmen not aging well in general.

That said, Canes had to do this. There's no replacing Slavin in the short term while they're still going for a Cup.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
That is by far the biggest steal of a contract of all time. Not a bargain after the fact where a player breaks out, but just, from the moment it is signed, just an absolute pure bargain and everyone knows it

Reactions: cptjeff

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
That little? Good on the Canes locking up the best defensive d-man in the league to a steal

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Great cap hit. But that's long term for a player who will be 31 when it starts.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
What the actual f***

This is an absolute steal. Why would slavin agree to that. He could’ve easily gotten 8x8, I guess he wants to take a discount to win

Great deal

Jan 21, 2018
Lol what is it with your people, I am not disagreeing with how good Forsling but I think he is more a two defensmen then pure defensive.

I think they are just upset that not a single team congratulated them at the draft.

Just ignore them, we all know that Slavin is a beast. Congrats on signing a great contract!

Reactions: SnS and Go Wings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad