Friedman: Slavin and Hurricanes working on a long-term extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Opinion, not fact.
Well Thats Just Like Your Opinion Man GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Forgive me for posting an opinion as a fan on an online hockey forum. :sarcasm:

Reactions: wolfofthesteppes

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Opinion, not fact.
This is true it is an opinion. Mostly because there are no stats that actually measure it that you could point to and call it fact. I will say it is an opinion based in some really hard to explain otherwise facts, most notably that some of the games best scorers have much lower number against the Canes throughout their career than against other teams, also having long time hockey analyst mention on almost every nationally broadcast Canes game along with all the people at the NHL network talking about him and then of course watching him do things on the ice rarely if ever seen before to take pucks away from some of the best players in the world.

So yeah its an opinion, but a good one.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
A cap hit 500K less than the Vlasic contract during an ever-inflating salary cap? Yeah, that is a no-brainer. Even if Slavin ages into the bottom-pair at the end, salaries will have inflated enough that it won't hurt the team much, especially if they develop young talent to succeed him.

Reactions: Tryamw

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
[if accurate]

While Slavin gave the Canes a discount compared to what he could have gotten on the open market, I think the term makes the dollar value seem like more of a steal than it is. You look at it and think "Slavin is worth way more than $6.5m per year", and right now he certainly is. But signing him through the age of 39 does merit a reduction in AAV.

Trying to get a feel for how term might affect the AAV, I considered the following examples:

8 x $6.5 = $52m
6 x $8.5 = $51m

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
[if accurate]

While Slavin gave the Canes a discount compared to what he could have gotten on the open market, I think the term makes the dollar value seem like more of a steal than it is. You look at it and think "Slavin is worth way more than $6.5m per year", and right now he certainly is. But signing him through the age of 39 does merit a reduction in AAV.

Trying to get a feel for how term might affect the AAV, I considered the following examples:

8 x $6.5 = $52m
6 x $8.5 = $51m
6.5M in year 8 of the deal would feel like 3M by then. If he's indeed taking 6.5M just be happy lol

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
6.5M in year 8 of the deal would feel like 3M by then. If he's indeed taking 6.5M just be happy lol
Oh, I'm very happy. :D Just pointing out that (if true) this is a deal that works for both parties. A discount for sure (some of which may be the Stamkos factor?) but not a case of the Canes bending Slavin over a barrel, which is what it looks like if consider a $6.5m AAV but don't take the term into account.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Getting Slavin, one of the best dmen in the league, for under 7 mill is absolutely highway robbery. He'd have one of the best contracts in the league, leaps and bounds.

Think it could go heavily regressing his salary.

Like:

10M - 10M - 8M - 6.5M - 6.5M - 5M - 3.0M - 3.0M

Getting 10M at your 31- & 32-year old seasons, and only 3M at your 38- & 39-year old seasons.

Base salary 1M at every season, rest from signing bonuses.

Caphit is just a number.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
Think it could go heavily regressing his salary.

Like:

10M - 10M - 8M - 6.5M - 6.5M - 5M - 3.0M - 3.0M

Getting 10M at your 31- & 32-year old seasons, and only 3M at your 38- & 39-year old seasons.

Base salary 1M at every season, rest from signing bonuses.

Caphit is just a number.
You're thinking like an owner, not a GM. :)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's a good number. (6.5), but that definitely is brought down by giving him 8 years. He'll be turning 31 at the end of next season. 8 years after that is a lot. But 6.5 is a fantastic number.
Have to see the structure of the deal. How much of it will be in SB thus ensuring he’s going to see virtually all of the contract.
Forsling got $5.75 AAV but only $1 mill per in salary while the rest is all SB.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Have to see the structure of the deal. How much of it will be in SB thus ensuring he’s going to see virtually all of the contract.
Forsling got $5.75 AAV but only $1 mill per in salary while the rest is all SB.
I'm sure there will be some structure to make it a little bit better in terms of potential buyout on the later years, but even with Forsling, the buyout is still in the 5 million cap hit range for 2 seasons, if you buyout the last 2 years. But for a players perspective, yeah the signing bonus up front is nice.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm sure there will be some structure to make it a little bit better in terms of potential buyout on the later years, but even with Forsling, the buyout is still in the 5 million cap hit range for 2 seasons, if you buyout the last 2 years. But for a players perspective, yeah the signing bonus up front is nice.
It also ensures that you get your money. If it follows Forsling, and $5.5 mill is SB and $1 mill in salary, he'd only lose $333K for each year that gets bought out. If he's at all salary, it is $2.17 mill that he can lose out on each year that he's bought out. $1.8 mill difference per year as an example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad