Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] F Tyler Toffoli signs with the Sharks (4 years, $6M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Not a fan at all...

What's the plan exactly? Finish 4th last next season instead of dead last?
2025: bottom 3
2026: bottom 5
2027: bottom 10
2028: complete for a wild card

We've got a ton of talent in the pipeline but they need to grow up. Then it'll be a headache to manage everyone who needs a big raise while trying to build a balanced contender.

In the meantime, as others have said, Toffoli gives us an experienced scoring winger to play with the young guns until they turn 21 years old. We also need some serious help on D, but obviously the big names are already signed elsewhere.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Pump the brakes a little but there. They are a top RHD from being a playoff caliber team but not a cup favorite. Smith and Celebrini are still just kids and will still have a growth period.
Lol, we are not any one player away from playoff contention

We were 51 points out of the playoffs last year, Cale Makar doesn't bridge that gap

This is a smart signing, it's all about incremental but marked improvements at this point

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Hawks signed Hall last year after drafting Bedard.

This is basically that for the Sharks.

That said.. only reason Toffoli would sign with them is money. When that's the mentality and the player is aging, you're probably not getting the best of them.

But eh, you need people to play in the top 6.

I'd say a full NMC in California was the selling point for him.

SoCalSharkzFan

Jun 24, 2004
The True Man's World
I love it, tbh. Gives the future faces of the franchise some respectable vets to play with. I'd rather get them developed right than crush their confidence on a historically bad team. If we win more games this year and end up with a worse pick, so be it.

Reactions: Helistin

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Obviously a very 1 dimensional player. Good for his shot and literally nothing else. I think he can raise his game on competitive teams / playoffs, but checks out and floats even more on bad teams. Sharks don't care at this juncture though.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
In terms of affecting our cap, its quite insignificant. In terms of the actual contract, its some billionaire german's money, so who cares.

I never talk about actual money, I have no simpathy for some rich assholes

6M on the cap hit is a lot of money IMO

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Will never understand the love Toffoli gets. But NHL GMs seem to love him and that’s what matters - the tour continues.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Weekes is starting to look a little like Beets from Howard Stern
Screenshot_20240701_140927_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240701_140854_Google.jpg

Sleeper Shark

Jun 28, 2018
Antarctica
The plan is to give Celebrini some real NHL players to play with, be competitive, and not be an embarrassment to the NHL.

Do you seriously think Tyler Toffoli is worth 20 points in the standings? The Sharks are still gonna be a bottom-2 team in the league, but ‘normal’ bad instead of ‘literal abomination and disgrace to the sport of hockey’.

This is exactly the sort of deal the Sharks should be making. Term won’t be a problem as our top winger prospects like Musty, Chernyshov, and Halttunen will still be on ELCs when Toffoli expires.
Yea will echo this. In no way does this signing alone impact SJ's draft position next season. Defense is still pretty damn porous even with the addition of Walman. Barring some serious reinforcements there, I don't think the Sharks claw out of the basement.

Reactions: weastern bias

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I never talk about actual money, I have no simpathy for some rich assholes

6M on the cap hit is a lot of money IMO
Still 21 mil of cap for them to spend if they want. 29 if Couture is an LTIR candidate. The Sharks are probably the team in the worst situation as it relates to luring free agents to sign. They have to spend a lot of money to convince anyone to play there. If Toffoli is still in that 25 goal range, it'll be worth it for them if he's able to do it for even just two of the four years. The point is to invest in talent that will help make Macklin Celebrini and Will Smith better players.

Reactions: sjsharks92

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Toffoli is a huge pickup, I've had a lot of respect for his intense game the last few years

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Good move by San Jose. He's a leader and wanted back-pay for previous darling contracts. He can't move worth shit but he still finds himself in the right position most of the time. He'll get caught on breakaways but he's pretty sneaky. Good role model for young core

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad