Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Haven't paid that much attention to Walman but thought he & Seider had been pretty solid while getting buried consistently against tough matchups & d-zone starts. Was Seider really carrying him that much? If so, Seider really is one hell of a player that's underrated.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Haven't paid that much attention to Walman but thought he & Seider had been pretty solid while getting buried consistently against tough matchups & d-zone starts. Was Seider really carrying him that much? If so, Seider really is one hell of a player that's underrated.

Walman was bad enough to get healthy scratched when the Wings were clawing for a playoff spot. He had more value in the press box than on the ice at that point in the season. There was a lot of shine around Walman after he first arrived in Detroit but last year saw that fade and turn to rust.

Walman took games off and his defensive efforts were questionable. And this isn't some revisionist Red Wings fan cope. It was documented in the spring well before all this went down.

Jake Walman, although he's a fan favorite, takes too many games/shifts off and, although he has shown flashes of being a top-pairing defender, can be equally detrimental to Moritz Seider's game at times with his ill-advised offensive risks and often being outworked in the defensive zone.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Sweet.
I've read it already. thanks for not answering a single question and posting a link like it means anything
Ok... I'll spell it out a little more clearly

Do you know who Yzerman talked to?
Just Mike Grier

What did he say?
Mike Grier said something along the lines of "Wow, you'll really give me a 2nd round pick???"
No other GM's said anything, because they weren't offered

What was he offered?
Nobody else offered anything, because they weren't given the chance

How is Walman in the locker room? How is he at team meetings? What's his relationship with Yzerman like? What have they said in their conversations?
I do not know, but none of this matters. Steve Yzerman is not required to disclose his relationship with a player prior to trading him in order to drive trade value down.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Ok... I'll spell it out a little more clearly

Do you know who Yzerman talked to?
Just Mike Grier

What did he say?
Mike Grier said something along the lines of "Wow, you'll really give me a 2nd round pick???"
No other GM's said anything, because they weren't offered

What was he offered?
Nobody else offered anything, because they weren't given the chance

How is Walman in the locker room? How is he at team meetings? What's his relationship with Yzerman like? What have they said in their conversations?
I do not know, but none of this matters. Steve Yzerman is not required to disclose his relationship with a player prior to trading him in order to drive trade value down.

Now prove it.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I seem to recall a few instances where this was reported to have been done. Can't point to a specific instance (though I think it's happened for waivers) but found it a little amusing that this was actually the solution. Mass email all 32 teams about it. Unless a GM needs to be secretive (unlikely in this case), why not do this first.

Pretty sure Friedman has mentioned that there is a GM group chat.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Walman was bad enough to get healthy scratched when the Wings were clawing for a playoff spot. He had more value in the press box than on the ice at that point in the season. There was a lot of shine around Walman after he first arrived in Detroit but last year saw that fade and turn to rust.

Walman took games off and his defensive efforts were questionable. And this isn't some revisionist Red Wings fan cope. It was documented in the spring well before all this went down.

Jake Walman, although he's a fan favorite, takes too many games/shifts off and, although he has shown flashes of being a top-pairing defender, can be equally detrimental to Moritz Seider's game at times with his ill-advised offensive risks and often being outworked in the defensive zone.

If this is the case as to why he had to pay a 2nd to get rid of Walman, Yzerman really changed his tune in just one year.... He gave the same money and an NTC to a Dman after they were complete garbage and ended the season as a healthy scratch for the Leafs....

Last edited:

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
LOL.

If you are going to call well established journalists with known connections out for fabricating stories, the onus is on you to prove he's lying.

Not at all what I did. I want you to prove the things you said are true. Site sources and the quotes that back up factually what you said.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
According to reporters who talked to sources on other teams, he talked to no one and thus was offered nothing although he could have been offered something

What I've learned, if anything, about the Jake Walman trade

Two days after the deal we are still trying to figure out exactly what happened.
www.shapshotshockey.com
www.shapshotshockey.com
This is a tough read. The Yzerplan, ladies and gentlemen.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Not at all what I did. I want you to prove the things you said are true. Site sources and the quotes that back up factually what you said.
I started by citing the article where I got those answers from. The journalist, with hundreds of articles showing he has contacts and relationships with people employed within the NHL, relayed information from his sources.

If you need signed affidavits from multiple GM's to confirm from a primary source, I don't know what to tell you. Sean Shapiro has proven to have contacts and isn't just some story aggregating sensationalist. Until you can show me why he is unreliable, I'm going to believe him

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Even if this were true and a held belief within the Red Wings' organization, why do they need the resolution of moving him now over possibly putting him on waivers to see if he gets claimed? Even if no one claims him, this sort of deal is likely available with a lot of different teams. If he clears waivers the next day, nobody you throw this offer at is likely saying no.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
I started by citing the article where I got those answers from. The journalist, with hundreds of articles showing he has contacts and relationships with people employed within the NHL, relayed information from his sources.

If you need signed affidavits from multiple GM's to confirm from a primary source, I don't know what to tell you. Sean Shapiro has proven to have contacts and isn't just some story aggregating sensationalist. Until you can show me why he is unreliable, I'm going to believe him

I asked for specifics. WHO did he talk to. WHAT was offered. HOW MANY people did he talk with.
WHAT is Walman like off the ice. WHAT IS Walmans relationship with management like.

Here's one, because you like journalists and their info so much... How many GMs did your cited source speak with?

• Haha
Reactions: bh53

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Even if this were true and a held belief within the Red Wings' organization, why do they need the resolution of moving him now over possibly putting him on waivers to see if he gets claimed? Even if no one claims him, this sort of deal is likely available with a lot of different teams. If he clears waivers the next day, nobody you throw this offer at is likely saying no.

I don't know, I'm not privy to why Yzerman went this route. I was only commenting on Jake Walman's play this last year which was the question asked by that poster.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Reactions: mazmin

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Is this actually implying that Yzerman was irked by Walman's Griddy celebrations?

I don’t know about the griddy specifically, but Yzerman was very anti-showboating as a player. It’s been mentioned in a few places he didn’t appreciate it when guys were trying to be in the spotlight on or off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad