Confirmed Trade: [SJS/BUF] 2024 1st (11OA) for 2024 1st (14OA) and 2024 2nd (42OA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Weird things happen on draft day, guys get selected from off the board, and good players fall. Not sure why SJS feels compelled today to pay a second to move up three slots. Their guy may well still be available at 14.

Reactions: HFpapi

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Their guy at 9 might be in range now.

42 is nothing, SJ win.

42 is very far from nothing as we got it to buy a roster player….if you know anything at all no 9/11/14 - they are all just as likely to hit or miss in that range. Smart folks have been telling us that for eons which is why outside of top 5 more picks = more chances to hit = the smart teams

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Buffalo trades the 14th overall and the 42 pick from SJ to NJD for the 10th overall and move up on place in the draft for free

• Wow
Reactions: Jacob582

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I can understand why a team would trade back before the draft if they have a lot of players ranked similarly.
But you can't understand trading up using the same rationale? Imagine if the Sharks have a number of players in the ~8-12 range ranked similarly but think there is a big drop-off after that and decided to make a pre-draft trade to ensure certainty of picking in that range. Seems like a "you" problem.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
42 is very far from nothing as we got it to buy a roster player….if you know anything at all no 9/11/14 - they are all just as likely to hit or miss in that range. Smart folks have been telling us that for eons which is why outside of top 5 more picks = more chances to hit = the smart teams
42 is not nothing but it is lottery odds. Top 10-15 is a significant step up from that though it varies from draft to draft what the talent level is. Sharks need to maximize their odds more at the top than in later rounds.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Ok good for you but people should judge the trade by consensus or analytics based ratings not personal ones…

Point being? They ( Buffalo) don’t have one specific target clearly and I’d argue I’ve heard multiple folks say Sennecke could go 6 or 7 so why are we even discussing them in relation to trading back from 11
Point being is the player the sharks want they believe won't be there by 14. I wasn't discussing Buffalo trading back as I don't care about their side of the coin.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
This is a clear value win for Buffalo. Doesn't matter what sharks plan is, it was not good value for them. Can't imagine a real complaint from Sabres fans.

Now all the Power to SJ, go get your guy. I'd rather the Sabres overpay by a small amount of draft capital instead of walking away from a trade.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
These trades make no sense to me prior to the draft. You don't even know who is available at either slot so the difference in drafting positions for now is negligible.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Weird things happen on draft day, guys get selected from off the board, and good players fall. Not sure why SJS feels compelled today to pay a second to move up three slots. Their guy may well still be available at 14.

This is not football where you know you are getting a very good contributer in the 2nd round who you expect to play some his rookie year then contribute more in year 2

look at players drafted 38-45 over the years. Sure you have very good players but many dont make it or are not above replacement.

2008 Josi, Weircioch
2009 chaisson, Silverburg
2010 Faulk, Merril, Nemeth, DSP, Spooner
2011 Gibson, Jaskin, Rask, Saad, Ritchie
2012 McCabe, Grandlund
2013 Hagg, Jary
2014 Marcus Pettersson

2011 is called an outlier. You might get 2 out of 8 make it to 200+ nhl games and thats before you factor in any sort of stardom.

usually the better goalies go in this point of the 2nd.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
These trades make no sense to me prior to the draft. You don't even know who is available at either slot so the difference in drafting positions for now is negligible.

From San Jose perspective....

say they have a clear top 12 in their prospect pool. they have a big drop in 13-18

or they have a group of 3 they like who can go 9-14 range. Buffalo pick at 11 gives them a better chance than 14 does.

since they are starting a rebuild they dont have restrictions on position they draft

On the other hand Buffalo roster...2019-2024 draft position
1OA-Dahlin, Power
top 5 Byram (trade)
6-10 Cozens, Quinn, Savoie
11-14 Rosen Benson, 24 1st
16-20 Ostlund

Buffalo could trade down further asking for a 25 pick like with Chicago who has a 25 2nd from Dallas.

last year Buffalo at 13 say Bensos fall who many had at 5-8 in draft order so they took him instead of what they thought they would pick by need. this draft they have certain style of players they want but 11OA is too high to draft them but its not as bad as 14 because most scenarios still have them on the board then.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
From San Jose perspective....

say they have a clear top 12 in their prospect pool. they have a big drop in 13-18

or they have a group of 3 they like who can go 9-14 range. Buffalo pick at 11 gives them a better chance than 14 does.

since they are starting a rebuild they dont have restrictions on position they draft

On the other hand Buffalo roster...2019-2024 draft position
1OA-Dahlin, Power
top 5 Byram (trade)
6-10 Cozens, Quinn, Savoie
11-14 Rosen Benson, 24 1st
16-20 Ostlund

Buffalo could trade down further asking for a 25 pick like with Chicago who has a 25 2nd from Dallas.

last year Buffalo at 13 say Bensos fall who many had at 5-8 in draft order so they took him instead of what they thought they would pick by need. this draft they have certain style of players they want but 11OA is too high to draft them but its not as bad as 14 because most scenarios still have them on the board then.
Yeah this doesn't convince me at all, drafts are not even close to predictable enough to think you know who will be available at 11 but not 14. Every year some guys drop very unexpectedly (Michkov, Wright, Fowler), and there's always big reaches.

If it was like 14th moving up to 7th then sure I get that it gives you a much better chance at a guy you really like but 14th to 11th pre-draft is a totally useless move.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The thing with trading in advance is it could be worth more or less, depending on market conditions, when you get to pick 14. The Sabres swung early in the count.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Do people forget we got a 2nd this week for nothing? Nothing at all? Now this ain’t the same 2nd, but still. Yzerman gave us a 2nd - we had 3, and we moved up to 11 (so far) for “free” (sorta kinda)

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Sharks looking for a falling dman or Catton? Could be a pretty good trade for them depending on who falls. I guess Buffalo will trade that pick in a package for Necas

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
True, but this works both ways. Say the draft is a weird one and more of Grier's choices are available and he'll have more leverage...or if it goes more on the consensus then Grier would have less.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
But you can't understand trading up using the same rationale? Imagine if the Sharks have a number of players in the ~8-12 range ranked similarly but think there is a big drop-off after that and decided to make a pre-draft trade to ensure certainty of picking in that range. Seems like a "you" problem.

I feel like I’m repeating the same thing over and over.

If they have a number of players in the 8-12 range ranked similarly, THEY WON’T KNOW THOSE PLAYERS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE 8-12 RANGE BEFORE THE FIRST 7 PICKS OCCUR.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Kinda feels like they are going to try to get Eiserman, there've been some mock drafts theorizing it based on Celebrini's history with him as well as Grier's history with BU (since Eiserman is heading there)

SJ also has Will Smith who played with Cole Eiserman on the US National development team in 22-23. I do think he's their target and he seems to be in the 10-12 mock draft

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
I love that there are 9 pages of discussion for a pick swap trade (not being snarky).

We sure are hungry for news in here! :allears::allears::allears:
Dude, I’m a Sabres fan (like you). My two biggest days are the draft lottery and draft day. It’s all I have left. This just happens to render our months-long prognostications invalid, which has sent shockwaves among the dozens of us left.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I feel like I’m repeating the same thing over and over.

If they have a number of players in the 8-12 range ranked similarly, THEY WON’T KNOW THOSE PLAYERS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE 8-12 RANGE BEFORE THE FIRST 7 PICKS OCCUR.
What you are suggesting without seemingly realizing it is that, if none of the players the Sharks have ranked 8-12 are still available at 11, a player they had ranked higher than 8th has fallen to them. Oh the horror…

If the Sharks pick at 14, there is no guaranty any of their top 2-12 are available to them.

Reactions: JBeast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad