Prospect Info: SJ Sharks 2020 draftee (2/56) Tristen Robins (RW) - Saskatoon Blades/WHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is a pick acquired from Washington in exchange for Brenden Dillon.

Tristen Robins Rankings

53.-tristen-robins-tn.jpg

#53 by Elite Prospects
#63 by Future Considerations
#55 by McKeen's
#86 NAS by NHL Central Scouting
#56 by Dobber Prospects

He's a gifted puck-handler, capable of blending pass receptions into detailed maneuvers and freezing his opponents with deceptive elements. He evades defenders with ease using a variety of around and triangle dekes. The way that Robins can shoot the puck, handle the puck, and support the puck in the offensive zone is pretty rare for a first-time draft-eligible skater. - EliteProspects NHL Draft Guide

Tristen Robins at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Lebanezer

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Drafted by the Regina Pats in the fourth round of the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft, Tristen Robins would play just one game as an underage player for Regina before being traded to the Saskatoon Blades at the 2018 WHL Trade Deadline. With Regina loading up as hosts of the 2018 Memorial Cup, and Saskatoon continuing their rebuild, the trade was a classic example of a team giving up future production in an attempt to win Major Junior Hockey’s biggest prize. The trade would eventually pay off for the Blades. This year, in his second full WHL campaign, Robins had a breakout year. He put up 33 goals and 40 assists for 73 points in 62 games before the season was cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last season, the Brandon, Manitoba native put up just nine goals and 16 assists for 25 points in 66 regular-season games with limited ice-time. He would go on to add three goals and one assist for four points in 10 WHL Playoff Games. Before coming to the WHL, Robins played his midget hockey for Rink Hockey Academy Prep School in the CSSHL. In 2017-18 he scored 20 goals and 54 points in just 31 games.

Tristen Robins Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #90

2020 Draft Sleepers: Robins, Ovchinnikov, and Rhinehart -

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
78. Tristen Robins, RW, Saskatoon-WHL

Nov. 15, 2001 | 5-foot-10 | 176 pounds

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 40
Hockey Sense: 60
Shot Grade: 60

Robins had a strong second WHL season, clearing 30 goals and 70 points for Saskatoon. He’s not the tallest or the quickest player, but he’s a lot of fun to watch. Robins is skilled and has very good offensive hockey sense. He tries to make things happen with the puck and can beat defenders 1-on-1 clean. He’s a very good passer and can make plays off the half-wall, but he’s arguably better as a shooter. He has an accurate, hard wrist shot and can pick corners from a distance with flashes of elite goal-scoring ability. He’s not that big, but Robins is a competitor who attacks the net, kills penalties and plays hard along the walls. I think he skates fine, but for a player his size you would like a tad more explosiveness from his stride.

Colin Priestner, GM of the Saskatoon Blades, on Robins: “He has outstanding skill, vision and deceptiveness that he really untapped this year. He has a very sneaky release on his shot. He is comfortable at both center and right wing. He is a modern day hockey player who cares about both sides of the puck, winning our top defensive forward award.”

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This guy scored more points than our 1st round pick, in the same league, in fewer games, which is interesting. I don’t pay much attention to prospects so I can’t say anything about him for certain, and he was also fairly old for his draft class, but using the 56th overall pick on a forward who scored 1.18 points per game in junior is a good value pick IMO.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This one is kind of a reach but it's a solid selection at this level. Pretty solid all-around and kind of had a hot streak after Christmas. I think he's a lot smarter of a player than he's given credit for. I think he has some top end potential. Maybe more so than Bordeleau but his floor isn't bad either.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
This guy scored more points than our 1st round pick, in the same league, in fewer games, which is interesting. I don’t pay much attention to prospects so I can’t say anything about him for certain, and he was also fairly old for his draft class, but using the 56th overall pick on a forward who scored 1.18 points per game in junior is a good value pick IMO.
Apparently, Wiesblatt played on one of the best defensive teams in the WHL apparently, so he was not picking up a lot of secondary assists. He had to do it mostly himself.

But it does feel like a lot of these picks have some outlier statistic for their draft range, which is good to see they are looking for things slipping through the cracks like that because of group think on other guys.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I'm glad they're targeting forwards that can carry the puck.
Hopefully, in the future that means less pressure on the D to stretch pass and keep the puck in the o-zone.

Reactions: HzH and Sandisfan

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Colin Priestner, GM of the Saskatoon Blades, on Robins: “He has outstanding skill, vision and deceptiveness that he really untapped this year. He has a very sneaky release on his shot. He is comfortable at both center and right wing. He is a modern day hockey player who cares about both sides of the puck, winning our top defensive forward award.”

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Apparently, Wiesblatt played on one of the best defensive teams in the WHL apparently, so he was not picking up a lot of secondary assists. He had to do it mostly himself.

But it does feel like a lot of these picks have some outlier statistic for their draft range, which is good to see they are looking for things slipping through the cracks like that because of group think on other guys.
Weisblatt was top 10 in points per minutes in the league, which tells more of the whole story than just PPG , as well.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
One thing that stands out is how he really took off during the second part of the season. Source: habseyesontheprize/
He had 54 points in his final 33 games
Then I noticed the question from the SJHockeyNow guys on this:
Robins, on what drove his incredible second half of the season:
Just everything I did to prepare myself, I really dialed in my diet, my body maintenance. I really started training like a pro. Realized I had to do a lot more to get my name out there, turn some heads.

Glad to see a young player dialing into the mentality needed to succeed and prepare himself for the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad