Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
If they can get a top 6 forward by other means, I’m not against them drafting Parekh. They do lack a consensus number 1 defenceman. At least as of today. Yes, maybe someone steps up, but so far, the jury is still out.

I have heard E Karlsson talk with Parekh (Ceiling level). Of course he has that offensive ability but so does Hutson. Personally, I look deeper than the points. Catton and Parekh are flashy with their point totals yes. But how does the international numbers look?
With Catton, his age 18 season was basically last year. His U18's don't measure up to Iggy's this past year which was his age 18 season.

With Parekh, where is the U18's sample? Why didn't he play last year? I'm not sure why to be honest. Then I look at how many NHL drafted players were on his CHL roster. 8! That has ripple effects in terms of how someone like Parekh can take advantage.

If I had a pick from 8-13, I'd be all over these two.
FWIW, I saw Parekh four times live this past season.

I knew the offensive numbers, but I didn’t see performance that matched the numbers - or the hype.
And his defense against getting bumped was a raised stick, chops high.

The numbers aren’t fake, and Parekh is calm and cool playing/forwarding the puck up ice.

But holy moly mazzoli, I did not see Erik Karlsson, or really, even shades of that guy.

I don’t see him ‘rounding out’ a future Habs’ D corps. I hope any talk of ZP at No. 5 is merely that, talk.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
There's no spin. Smaller players can be key players on cup teams. That's established in our conversation.

But there cannot be too many of them and teams are bigger compared to the 80s and 90s. If you want to refute that go ahead.
I'm not sure where you are going with this, if you are now implying that it is tougher for small players to be impact players now rather than the 80's/90's then I don't know what to tell you. The NHL has never been more favourable to smaller, skilled players.

You say you can't have too many of them, how many is too many? Who are ours? If they are elite players, do you think it matters as much?

Noone is suggesting we have an entire top 6 of Caufields, although, if we did, that would be a pretty awesome top 6 imo. You augment the skill wih size in your bottom 6 if you have to, but it's absurd to even call our top 6 small. It isn't.

Reactions: Miller Time

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
If you have a option to draft a skilled/gritty Slaf, you do it. Otherwise, lets focus on targeting the best guys we can get who have the best grades in Skating, Skill, IQ, Grit/Physical strength. I guess that is also a Slaf and Reinbacher type pick ;)

What we can't have is a skilled group that is mostly soft (like the Leafs). Right now, we have two top of the line-up assets with Caufield and Hutson. If we insert more, we are going to become a regular season champion.
:pcheer:
Nonsense, Hutson hasn’t even cemented himself on the roster yet. You can afford to have more than 2 small guys.

Reactions: bsl

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure where you are going with this, if you are now implying that it is tougher for small players to be impact players now rather than the 80's/90's then I don't know what to tell you. The NHL has never been more favourable to smaller, skilled players.

You say you can't have too many of them, how many is too many? Who are ours? If they are elite players, do you think it matters as much?

Noone is suggesting we have an entire top 6 of Caufields, although, if we did, that would be a pretty awesome top 6 imo. You augment the skill wih size in your bottom 6 if you have to, but it's absurd to even call our top 6 small. It isn't.

The only place I'm going with this is sympathizing with HuGo who have stated they want us to get bigger, and are drafting accordingly. So again, where I'm going is size will be a factor in the drafting - imo due to the way the game is played today in comparison to the 80's and when I said 90's I meant early 90's - before the clutch and grab era.

And to me that is a shame.

Our top 6 currently has 1 small player in my eyes: Caufield. Our top 9 has 2: Caufield and Newhook. So yes, we could add Catton. And I'm all for adding him if he's the best player available. Reports are that he's not the type of player HuGo are looking for. We'll see. I'm for best player available regardless of position or size. But, I am sympathetic to a GM wanting to build a big team in this ear, unfortunately. I for one would rather the rinks be made bigger so there's more room and size to clog up lanes is less of a factor. But that's not happening any time soon.

Reactions: Naslund

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
It will be interesting to see if Terik Parascak falls to the 25-30 which I think he may.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
You play bigger when you know you're not getting taxed to death

:sarcasm:
Florida comes with a number of warts though, as a state both red and corruptly governed. Perhaps those are what is causing the Panthers to play big.

1718665243940.png

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Patrick Kane > anybody else.

Talent over size 100%. But when size has talent, then it's a homerun.

But I don't see the same level of talent in Lindstrom and Iginla compared to a guy like Catton.
IMO the talent discrepancy is significant.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
FWIW, I saw Parekh four times live this past season.

I knew the offensive numbers, but I didn’t see performance that matched the numbers - or the hype.
And his defense against getting bumped was a raised stick, chops high.

The numbers aren’t fake, and Parekh is calm and cool playing/forwarding the puck up ice.

But holy moly mazzoli, I did not see Erik Karlsson, or really, even shades of that guy.

I don’t see him ‘rounding out’ a future Habs’ D corps. I hope any talk of ZP at No. 5 is merely that, talk.

Well, add Zayne to the DND

1000005028.jpg

Reactions: Gustave

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Is he more Gallagher or more Brad Marchand?

More skill than Gally, not as talented as Marchand. Next year will be interesting to see how he does as the top Cougars move on and he's the main piece up front. I suppose Iggy and Catton will be in the same boat but he will have a ton of responsibility next year for sure.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I agree. He’s small too, how could he possibly win Roookie of the year while being small?
His talent is elite and he can decently skate….oh, the IQ is also at a high level, we really hit the jackpot with this kid, he’s got deceptive moves, really moves the entertainment needle to the max, lots of Ooohs and Ahhhs in his play, can’t wait to see Hutson strut his stuff.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How many is "too many"?

What defines "smaller players"?
Players who play small and are unable to break a check.
They are basically neutralized when the going gets tough.
Desharnais was a perfect example. Driven to the ice on face offs and pinned to the boards along the wall.
Small becomes a huge disadvantage when the bigger players are just as mobile and twice as strong.

Reactions: Habs Halifax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad