Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Who on this board was talking about Marchesseault before last years playoffs? Names like McKinnon and McDavid was all over the place. Vegas last year had an huge defensive corp like an impossible frontier to cross. I saw few replays of Habs in '21 when Weber crunch a player on the boards and I can tell you the other player suffered. PO time it's a different game. No way Leafs would lose against us if it wasn't of the size and muscle of our D corps. And I know Weber wasn't exactly a "complete player".

It seems like once all the big players from both teams neutralise themselves, the skilled and fast smallish player have room to deke around and score. But if you bring a team with 50% of small players, the best you can do is winning one round, like Habs in the Koivu era.
The D core during those playoffs was great, but let's not kid ourselves, Price was the reason we beat the Leafs.
Their has to be a ton of skill and size on every playoff team that succeeds. If you don't have the right combination, you need a Price, Hasek type of goaltending performance.
Habs were a deeply flawed team that year, that got saved by their goalie.

Back to size and skill..........no way I trade Caufield. If I was to, the return would have to be huge.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
One or two in the mix is fine. Too many it becomes a problem. Small players must have at least the speed advantage and superior skills. There are exceptional small players but every time the Habs brings a new small player, hockey commentators brings those examples like you say and we all know we should not take one example and apply it to any small player.
Previous regimes stacked the team with small players. Nobody disagrees that it’s a disadvantage and nobody is suggesting that we load up on small players.

That doesn’t mean we should jettison CC or Hutson.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The D core during those playoffs was great, but let's not kid ourselves, Price was the reason we beat the Leafs.
Their has to be a ton of skill and size on every playoff team that succeeds. If you don't have the right combination, you need a Price, Hasek type of goaltending performance.

Back to size and skill..........no way I trade Caufield. If I was to, the return would have to be huge.
Let’s also not kid ourselves, Habs did not win Jets and VGK series in 2021 because Price stood on his head - he played well, but those were clearly team wins.

Reactions: rve24

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Let’s also not kid ourselves, Habs did not win Jets and VGK series in 2021 because Price stood on his head - he played well, but those were clearly team wins.
Thats not how I remember it from watching those games, especially in the series against Vegas. Some quick data (not perfect by any means) shows that Price was well above average in the playoffs in 2021.

The Golden Knights have struggled to score on Carey Price, who allowed 22 goals on 337 shots in 11 playoff games this season, resulting in a .935 save percentage and a 1.97 goals against average.

• .904: The overall average save percentage for the 2021 season.
  • .915: The average save percentage for the top 10 goalies in the league during the 2021 season.

Reactions: Miller Time

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Thats not how I remember it from watching those games, especially in the series against Vegas. Some quick data (not perfect by any means) shows that Price was well above average in the playoffs in 2021.

The Golden Knights have struggled to score on Carey Price, who allowed 22 goals on 337 shots in 11 playoff games this season, resulting in a .935 save percentage and a 1.97 goals against average.

• .915: The average save percentage for the top 10 goalies in the league during the 2021 season.
Habs swept the Jets, Price didn’t steal that series - he barely broke a sweat

VGK price simply out performed Lehner & MAF.

BTW - from 2014, Price had the highest sv % of any G in playoffs. Yet he lost 1st or 2nd round in 2014, 2015, 2017, 2020. Price’s playoff performance was as expected, in 2021 the team was simply much stronger/deeper than previous playoffs - it’s disingenuous to state otherwise

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

i got run out of here for suggesting Laff & Kakko for CC + last year... now, NYR wouldn't even trade Laff for CC straight up.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Previous regimes stacked the team with small players. Nobody disagrees that it’s a disadvantage and nobody is suggesting that we load up on small players.

That doesn’t mean we should jettison CC or Hutson.
You must add Beck, that's 3. And maybe Farrell and maybe Mesar, another one or, 2 that's already 6.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You must add Beck, that's 3.
Owen Beck’s listed at six foot 190. No worries there.
And maybe Farrell and maybe Mesar, another one or, 2 that's already 6.
Farrell isn’t going to be part of our core, I doubt he makes the lineup at all.

Mesar might make the club but he won’t be part of the core either.

This isn’t something to worry about.

I will say that I like the idea of drafting Lindstrom. Adding him means we’ve got three really big guys in the top six. Roy is 6 foot and Suzuki is decently sized. Our D is pretty big too. I also like that Lindstrom plays with an edge, I think that we’ll see more from that in Slaf’s game too.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think it be Lindstrom. Habs be very lucky for Demidov to be there at 5. Habs not overly interested in defense. Only way I see it not be Lindstrom if concern over injuries. If it's not Lindstrom, I predict Ignila. He really came on late in season. Younger than rest.

Reactions: donghabs98

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Owen Beck’s listed at six foot 190. No worries there.

Farrell isn’t going to be part of our core, I doubt he makes the lineup at all.

Mesar might make the club but he won’t be part of the core either.

This isn’t something to worry about.

I will say that I like the idea of drafting Lindstrom. Adding him means we’ve got three really big guys in the top six. Roy is 6 foot and Suzuki is decently sized. Our D is pretty big too. I also like that Lindstrom plays with an edge, I think that we’ll see more from that in Slaf’s game too.
Lindstrom is a top pick and he's with an edge and with his size. Him, Dach and Slaf oh boy ...
Iginla is another good pick. If Demidov available, they take him unless they inside report Lindstrom is superior or Iggy or Catton, Sennecke. But I think their top 3 forwards are Demi, Lind and Iggy.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lindstrom is a top pick and he's with an edge and with his size. Him, Dach and Slaf oh boy ...
Iginla is another good pick. If Demidov available, they take him unless they inside report Lindstrom is superior or Iggy or Catton, Sennecke. But I think their top 3 forwards are Demi, Lind and Iggy.
I'd be happy with any of them. There's little consensus on who goes after Cellibrini. I'm curious to see who we take.

I still hope (thought don't think it will happen) that we trade up to get another guy in the 10-20 range. I still think Eiserman has star potential. Needs the right environment though. Goal scoring is what wins games.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Price carried the Habs to the finals that year, i thought this was past the debate point, especially with how clearly the data tracks that.

Habs get eliminated in the first round if not for his HOF caliber play.

It ranked up there with the Hasek & Giguere finals runs as one of the best playoff performances in decades.

In the finals, when he came back down to just solid performance, the team folded completely... As would be expected with how weak our roster was.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Elite Prospects has a free mock draft competition where you have to successfully guess the top 10 picks for a chance to win prizes.

This is what I submitted:

1. San Jose - Celebrini
2. Chicago - Demidov
3. Anaheim - Levshunov
4. Columbus - Lindstrom
5. Montreal - Iginla
6. Utah - Buium
7. Ottawa - Dickinson
8. Seattle - Silayev
9. Calgary - Sennecke
10. New Jersey - Parekh

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Price carried the Habs to the finals that year, i thought this was past the debate point, especially with how clearly the data tracks that.

Habs get eliminated in the first round if not for his HOF caliber play.

It ranked up there with the Hasek & Giguere finals runs as one of the best playoff performances in decades.

In the finals, when he came back down to just solid performance, the team folded completely... As would be expected with how weak our roster was.
The rest of the team with Price was much better than everything since the cup run with Halak.
Danault was good, Lehkonen too, Armia did well, the complete D corp was rude and on the edge, Suzuki and Caufield did great, like Camma and Gionta, Cole, Pleks in the Halak run.
They got lucky bounces maybe, the Byron goal was epic. Anderson, Toffoli and Perry did great too. Even Stall was helpful.
edit. The Perry line did a great difference in these series.

Last edited:

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018

Elite Prospects has a free mock draft competition where you have to successfully guess the top 10 picks for a chance to win prizes.

1. San Jose - Celebrini
2. Chicago - Demidov
3. Anaheim - Levshunov
4. Columbus - Lindstrom
5. Montreal - Iginla
6. Utah - Buium
7. Ottawa - Dickinson
8. Seattle - Silayev
9. Calgary - Sennecke
10. New Jersey - Parekh
you lost

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
1. San Jose - Celebrini
2. Chicago - Demidov
3. Anaheim - Levshunov
4. Columbus - Lindstrom
5. Montreal - Iginla
6. Utah - Buium
7. Ottawa - Dickinson
8. Seattle - Silayev
9. Calgary - Sennecke
10. New Jersey - Parekh
Thanks for the heads up on that! I went,

1. San Jose - Celebrini
2. Chicago - Demidov
3. Anaheim - Levshunov
4. Columbus - Silayev
5. Montreal - Lindstrom
6. Utah - Iginla
7. Ottawa - Parekh
8. Seattle - Dickinson
9. Calgary - Catton
10. New Jersey - Sennecke

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

1. San Jose - Celebrini
2. Chicago - Demidov
3. Anaheim - Levshunov
4. Columbus - Lindstrom
5. Montreal - Iginla
6. Utah - Buium
7. Ottawa - Dickinson
8. Seattle - Silayev
9. Calgary - Sennecke
10. New Jersey - Parekh
Cool…games

I went

1. SJS - Celebrini
2. CHI - Dickinson
3. ANA - Levshunov
4. CBJ - Silayev
5. MTL - Lindstrom
6. UTH - Demidov
7. OTT - Parekh
8. SEA- Sennecke
9. CGY - Iginla
10. NJD - Buium
11. BUF - Eiserman

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
Lindstrom sounds like the guy we need, but what do I know. This draft feels different from last years, they can go any direction here and the no matter who they take, the fanbase won't implode.

Reactions: jaffy27

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

1. San Jose - Celebrini
2. Chicago - Demidov
3. Anaheim - Levshunov
4. Columbus - Lindstrom
5. Montreal - Iginla
6. Utah - Buium
7. Ottawa - Dickinson
8. Seattle - Silayev
9. Calgary - Sennecke
10. New Jersey - Parekh
i did it with the same list as you just to cut by half the prize if your list is the right one :neener:

• Haha
Reactions: bsl and Habsfan18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad