Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I have the impression the pick is going to be Iginla (if Demidov/Lindstrom are gone) in the same way I was sure Leonard was going #5 last summer over Michkov..... so I have no idea.

I think the safest bet overall is to pick Catton, even if Lindstrom is available. He wont just lose that skill, and 5'11 170lbs at age 18 is nothing to be concerned about. I wouldnt be mad if they pick Iginla over Catton, but I think theyd be choosing size and genes over highest skill.

Safe, because you're concerned about Lindstrom's injuries? Because if they're fine with the medical outlook of Cayden, I don't see them passing him up, even if Catton is the more skilled.

Cayden has a completely different kind of upside than Catton. His size, speed, physicality and touch around the net would be most welcome. I love Catton's upside, am a big fan, probably the 3rd most skilled forward in the draft. But I personally would be too enticed by Lindstrom's overall package.

I love the idea of him and Dach on the same line.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Safe, because you're concerned about Lindstrom's injuries? Because if they're fine with the medical outlook of Cayden, I don't see them passing him up, even if Catton is the more skilled.

Cayden has a completely different kind of upside than Catton. His size, spped, physicality and touch around the net would be most welcome.
yes mostly because of injuries.... I just dont think they can afford having another "often injured" young player as they have with Dach and Guhle already. Though, I know the reward would be huge with his size and skill, as it would make for 2 nightmarish lines for the next decade or so. I just hope theyd really be sure.

Catton still proved himself over a full season compared to Lindstrom, and is one of 4 players since 2000 to put up 50G 115P+ in the CHL. The other 3 being: Bedard, Kane, Crosby. Thats a hell of a class to be part of..... Put him with Dach and another skilled LW UFA down the road (or maybe Josh Roy?) and you got yourself a hell of a 2nd line.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
yes mostly because of injuries.... I just dont think they can afford having another "often injured" young player as they have with Dach and Guhle already. Though, I know the reward would be huge with his size and skill, as it would make for 2 nightmarish lines for the next decade or so. I just hope theyd really be sure.

Catton still proved himself over a full season compared to Lindstrom, and is one of 4 players since 2000 to put up 50G 115P+ in the CHL. The other 3 being: Bedard, Kane, Crosby. Thats a hell of a class to be part of..... Put him with Dach and another skilled LW UFA down the road (or maybe Josh Roy?) and you got yourself a hell of a 2nd line.

I hear ya man, I'd take Catton at forward over anyone other than Demidov and Lindstrom (health pending) I just don't see it happening unfortunately.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They're not taking Catton, they're not taking Eiserman, they're not taking Helenius.

Demidov Lindstrom Sennecke/Iginla would be the smart money.

Personally I'm like Randy Marsh on the computer if we get Demidov.

I will jump for joy if we get Lindstrom.

I'll do a massive fist pump if we get Sennecke.

I'll give a firm nod of approval if we take Iginla.

We are getting a good forward, we can relax.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Big players rule, really? Marchessault is 5'9, I dont think the playoffs have been a problem for him.

To trade a player with a shot and skill like Caufield because he isnt 6'2 is just absolute ridiculous reasoning. This isnt 2012-14 when the Kings were winning the Cup with the style the league had.
I'm talking about trading Caufield to Blue jackets, so Habs have their pock and the 5th. You could imagine Habs with both Demidov and Lindstrom, or Demidov and Iginla, a combo Linsdtrom + Sennecke, etc.

Actually Caufield only scored 28 goals in 82 games and is -4.
Newhook have 15 goals in 55 games and is -11.
Players in the minus a team doesn't make the PO.
Basic mathematics tells me overall players have to be in the +.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm talking about trading Caufield to Blue jackets, so Habs have their pock and the 5th. You could imagine Habs with both Demidov and Lindstrom, or Demidov and Iginla, a combo Linsdtrom + Sennecke, etc.

They're trying to advance their window, not knock it backward and wait for a few maybe players to make it.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I have the impression the pick is going to be Iginla (if Demidov/Lindstrom are gone) in the same way I was sure Leonard was going #5 last summer over Michkov..... so I have no idea.

I think the safest bet overall is to pick Catton, even if Lindstrom is available. He wont just lose that skill because hes a bit smaller, and even then, 5'11 170lbs at age 18 is nothing to be concerned about at all. I wouldnt be mad if they pick Iginla over Catton, but I think theyd be choosing size and genes over the highest skill which would be a mistake.
Genes? They have similarities but Tyj skate faster than his father and have a better stick handling. I wont pretend overall he will be better than his father but he could become a pretty dawn good player who could fit perfectly. Tyj have that one timer we don't see often for a 17 years player. People have to look what he do on the ice and forget about his father. His father is a plus, he can lead him to avoid bad habits and a guide in his life. Outside hockey rink is what destroys some players. And Tij is 7 to 8 months younger than the rest.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
They're trying to advance their window, not knock it backward and wait for a few maybe players to make it.
We can use Caufield to get an nhl player, like people suggest with Ghule, Mailloux and Reinbacher.
People here are mad about Zegras and Necas, would they want to trade CC for one of the 2?*
Afterall, CC wasn't a pick of Gorton or Hughes.

* So he's better than those 2, how about trading for a better player, the kind pf player with a big frame, fit for tough PO time? Byfield for example. His stats are similar, 20 goals and 55 pts, CC have 28g and 65 pts, but Byfield ends the season with a +19.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We can use Caufield to get an nhl player, like people suggest with Ghule, Mailloux and Reinbacher.
People here are mad about Zegras and Necas, would they want to trade CC for one of the 2?
Afterall, CC wasn't a pick of Gorton or Hughes.

No and they won't. They extended Caufield because they believe in the player. Just like they aren't trading Guhle or Reinbacher.

They know who their core is and their future core. They're not subtracting who they know and support in house for external players especially Zegras, nor are they going to do it to acquire another draft pick.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
No and they won't. They extended Caufield because they believe in the player. Just like they aren't trading Guhle or Reinbacher.

They know who their core is and their future core. They're not subtracting who they know and support in house for external players especially Zegras, nor are they going to do it to acquire another draft pick.
Before performing in the PO, how Habs will reach the PO if core player like Caufield have stats in the minus. His last 3 seasons are -24, -10 and -4. There is a progression but still minus stats. Can you tell me for sure he will be in the + stats next year? Why he was in the minus stats all that time, you blame his teamates, it was Suzuki's fault, lol?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Before performing in the PO, how Habs will reach the PO if core player like Caufield have stats in the minus. His last 3 seasons are -24, -10 and -4. There is a progression but still minus stats. Can you tell me for sure he will be in the + stats next year? Why he was in the minus stats all that time, you blame his teamates, it was Suzuki's fault, lol?

He's still a young player and the team has picked 1, 5 and 5 in the last 3 years. Pretty much everyone is a minus.

As a rookie he was fantastic and had his best series against Vegas. We have a solid sample that he can find a way to be productive and score in the playoffs even against big teams.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
The habs are in a rebuild, not so hard to know why they’re all in the minus and they’re probably gonna be next year too. You blame only him? He finished -4 while Suzuki -14 and Slaf -19 as a young 19 years old.

How would you react when byfield is -14 with the habs? lol

By the way suzuki isnt a hughes/gorton pick and they aren’t even the ones who signed him. Are we trading him too?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'm not going to go into detail why +/- is a terrible stat (again), but your reasoning here is particularly unhelpful.

+/- is not really a league-wide stat. Even as original conceived (by Bowman and Blake), it was to evaluate a player's contributions to their team. It doesn't really even do that, but players on bad teams almost always have minuses. It doesn't reflect anything other than the team is bad.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
+\- is a God awful stat. It’s not surprising that a player on a terrible team would have a bad plus minus. His analytics are pretty awesome and that’s far more important and meaningful.

And it would be a mistake to trade CC now. His bad year can be attributed to the surgery. He likely gets close to 40 next year and then returns to normal the following season. You don’t trade players when they’re at a low value. He’ll be better next year.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
They're not taking Catton, they're not taking Eiserman, they're not taking Helenius.

I just hope they are very sure Lindstrom, Sennecke aren't glass bodies if they are considering them. Habs have a plethora of glass bodies already.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
+\- is a God awful stat. It’s not surprising that a player on a terrible team would have a bad plus minus. His analytics are pretty awesome and that’s far more important and meaningful.

And it would be a mistake to trade CC now. His bad year can be attributed to the surgery. He likely gets close to 40 next year and then returns to normal the following season. You don’t trade players when they’re at a low value. He’ll be better next year.
I hope he's gonna be better next year, like the rest of the team. I know plus minus stats doesn't really mean anything with a rebuiding team. I like to see 3 different persons answering me about this post, that means I touched something. This bad team have to move int better. Getting rid of bad contracts and replace them with youngsters or ufa signings. there are 32 teams, Habs will have to prove their core is strong enough to attract good ufas.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I hope he's gonna be better next year, like the rest of the team. I know plus minus stats doesn't really mean anything with a rebuiding team. I like to see 3 different persons answering me about this post, that means I touched something. This bad team have to move int better. Getting rid of bad contracts and replace them with youngsters or ufa signings. there are 32 teams, Habs will have to prove their core is strong enough to attract good ufas.
His play was excellent. His results were not. It should’ve been a career year. His shooting percentage from the slot dropped by 73 percent!

I thought he had a good shot at 50 coming into the year and clearly didn’t factor in the surgery. Docs say it takes three years to fully recover… so hopefully he gets close to 40 this year and improves after that.

It f***ing sucks because he should’ve been awesome last season. But we’re cursed.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

-4……mmmmm…..I say we trade Caufield and the 5th overall to Chicago for Connor Bédard and his -44 stat line plus the 2nd overall pick

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
-4……mmmmm…..I say we trade Caufield and the 5th overall to Chicago for Connor Bédard and his -44 stat line plus the 2nd overall pick
I'm watching PO and something jump at my eyes : small players rules. Last years Vegas defense was only smallish D, Panthers are a beast with their small players, this is the way to built a champion team. Habs team need more small and skiled players. They should have picked Cooley instead of Slaf.

• Haha
Reactions: Shutdown

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm watching PO and something jump at my eyes : small players rules. Last years Vegas defense was only smallish D, Panthers are a beast with their small players, this is the way to built a champion team. Habs team need more small and skiled players. They should have picked Cooley instead of Slaf.
Naslund, Cammaleri, Glimour, Cournoyer, Kane, St Louis, Fleury... tons of small players who have been amazing in the playoffs. Henri Richard won it 11 times.

You need a mix of skill, speed, toughness and size. But there's absolutely zero reason to jettison talented players because they aren't tall. Hutson and CC are awesome core pieces.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

Avec la 5e sélection au total, les Canadiens de Montréal sont fiers de sélectionner... David, Reinb..... euh, Artyom Levshunov.

He's still a young player and the team has picked 1, 5 and 5 in the last 3 years. Pretty much everyone is a minus.

As a rookie he was fantastic and had his best series against Vegas. We have a solid sample that he can find a way to be productive and score in the playoffs even against big teams.

Yes.

Pre-shoulder surgery.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Last two playoffs MVPs were Marchessault and Makar, not exactly giants. +/- tells me we should extend Kovacevic's contract for 8 years. He is always on the right side of +/- and he's big. Promote Tobie Bisson too, he fits the rule.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Naslund, Cammaleri, Glimour, Cournoyer, Kane, St Louis, Fleury... tons of small players who have been amazing in the playoffs. Henri Richard won it 11 times.

You need a mix of skill, speed, toughness and size. But there's absolutely zero reason to jettison talented players because they aren't tall. Hutson and CC are awesome core pieces.
One or two in the mix is fine. Too many it becomes a problem. Small players must have at least the speed advantage and superior skills. There are exceptional small players but every time the Habs brings a new small player, hockey commentators brings those examples like you say and we all know we should not take one example and apply it to any small player.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Last two playoffs MVPs were Marchessault and Makar, not exactly giants. +/- tells me we should extend Kovacevic's contract for 8 years. He is always on the right side of +/- and he's big. Promote Tobie Bisson too, he fits the rule.
Who on this board was talking about Marchesseault before last years playoffs? Names like McKinnon and McDavid was all over the place. Vegas last year had an huge defensive corp like an impossible frontier to cross. I saw few replays of Habs in '21 when Weber crunch a player on the boards and I can tell you the other player suffered. PO time it's a different game. No way Leafs would lose against us if it wasn't of the size and muscle of our D corps. And I know Weber wasn't exactly a "complete player".

It seems like once all the big players from both teams neutralise themselves, the skilled and fast smallish player have room to deke around and score. But if you bring a team with 50% of small players, the best you can do is winning one round, like Habs in the Koivu era.

Reactions: themilosh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad