Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sens won't trade Tkachuk for an unknown. They likely ask for our 5th pick and a roster player (maybe Caufield or Roy+). The price the Habs would have to pay would be higher than teams outside of our division.

They just went through a rebuild for the last 5+ years. Trading Tkachuk for futures only would not send the right message to their fans and would affect the business side of things.
The Ottawa market is hanging on by a thread as is...there's no way they trade this city's most popular player.

May as well fold up shop and move to Wisconsin when that happens.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Eric Engels just did a mock draft on the radio station BPM sport. Here it is.

San Jose: Cellebrini
Chicago: Lushenov
Anaheim: Silayev
Columbus: Lindstrom
Montreal: Demidov
Salt lake: Dickinson
Ottawa: Parekh
Seattle: Bium
Calgary: Iginla

If we get anyone in that top 6 I’ll be happy and Iginla
It was Basu. He said a couple of times "from what I'm hearing". Draft day will be interesting.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
I agree mock drafts are a little useless but it’s just for fun. Basu has a little intel as well and talks to other beat writers so it’s fun to see what he is hearing.

Reactions: MeanMugging91

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Eric Engels just did a mock draft on the radio station BPM sport. Here it is.

San Jose: Cellebrini
Chicago: Lushenov
Anaheim: Silayev
Columbus: Lindstrom
Montreal: Demidov
Salt lake: Dickinson
Ottawa: Parekh
Seattle: Bium
Calgary: Iginla

If we get anyone in that top 6 I’ll be happy and Iginla

I have my f***ing doubt with Demidov. I know it’s only highlights videos, but how many of his games will he b able to bring to NA and to the NHL? My guess, not so much… His game is about skating through 3 guys.. doesn’t work here. Hell, it would not work in the OHL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I gotta say if we take Dickinson our D core would be absolutely devastating. Then we could trade one of Hutson/Mailloux/Guhle for a young forward that is also doing well in the NHL. That guy skates like the wind and when you're that big it's a amazing thing to watch.

Yup, I think there is a good chance the Ducks take Dickinson. If I'm guessing, it goes down like this..

Celebrini (Sharks). No explanation required

Demidov (Hawks). Bedard/Demidov put fans in the seats (business side of things) while they work on adding around them in the next 3+ years.

Dickinson (Ducks). Ducks do like to stock pile their D and they are good at drafting. I'm not 100% sure but I am leaning on Dickinson being the best of out that D group. If not Dickinson, I do see the Ducks taking a D.

Jackets (Lindstrom). They go after the big center who can skate. Especially after seeing how the small Gaudreau is drowning on their roster.

Iginla (Habs): I don't think we trade down and we have Iggy as BPA at this spot. Others are close but Iggy has a shot at being a top line asset and his game is built for the NHL.

Then the rest of D dominos fall with Catton, Eiserman, Sennecke mixed in.

The Ottawa market is hanging on by a thread as is...there's no way they trade this city's most popular player.

May as well fold up shop and move to Wisconsin when that happens.

100% agree.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I agree mock drafts are a little useless but it’s just for fun. Basu has a little intel as well and talks to other beat writers so it’s fun to see what he is hearing.
Mock drafts based on intel is cool, I like Basu and regularly tune into his podcast with Godin...but until the combine takes place, these mock drafts are not even educated guesses.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have my f***ing doubt with Demidov. I know it’s only highlights videos, but how many of his games will he b able to bring to NA and to the NHL? My guess, not so much… His game is about skating through 3 guys.. doesn’t work here. Hell, it would not work in the OHL

I'm with you on this. We could eat crow from this but there is some flag with Demidov. It's based on all skill/skating and there is no grit to evaluate. If he is a P Kane or Kucherov, it fits. However, if he is not, it makes the pick bad. I think his style is more of a P Kane than it is as a Kucherov. I don't see much one timers in the video I watch with Demidov. Kucherov's shot is elite as a smaller lighter skilled type. Demidov likes to skate with the puck like Kane does as a winger.

Skating and Skill is top notch. Nobody in this draft is better than him in this area.

Size/Weight needs to get stronger. There is no way to spin this or hide from it.

His shot is good I will say. But there is a little trend of shooting right side a lot. Lots of velocity and some sniping but guys like Iggy, Eiserman, Sennecke can snipe just as good or better IMO.

I still have Demidov as 2nd BPA but there are areas to nit pick. I do think he has huge adjustments to the physical areas the NHL demands. That part is very difficult to guess on how he overcomes it.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Yup, I think there is a good chance the Ducks take Dickinson. If I'm guessing, it goes down like this..

Celebrini (Sharks). No explanation required

Demidov (Hawks). Bedard/Demidov put fans in the seats (business side of things) while they work on adding around them in the next 3+ years.

Dickinson (Ducks). Ducks do like to stock pile their D and they are good at drafting. I'm not 100% sure but I am leaning on Dickinson being the best of out that D group. If not Dickinson, I do see the Ducks taking a D.

Jackets (Lindstrom). They go after the big center who can skate. Especially after seeing how the small Gaudreau is drowning on their roster.

Iginla (Habs): I don't think we trade down and we have Iggy as BPA at this spot. Others are close but Iggy has a shot at being a top line asset and his game is built for the NHL.

Then the rest of D dominos fall with Catton, Eiserman, Sennecke mixed in.
I'm hoping they like Leshunov more or even Silayev.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
I'm with you on this. We could eat crow from this but there is some flag with Demidov. It's based on all skill/skating and there is no grit to evaluate. If he is a P Kane or Kucherov, it fits. However, if he is not, it makes the pick bad. I think his style is more of a P Kane than it is as a Kucherov. I don't see much one timers in the video I watch with Demidov. Kucherov's shot is elite as a smaller lighter skilled type. Demidov likes to skate with the puck like Kane does as a winger.

Skating and Skill is top notch. Nobody in this draft is better than him in this area.

Size/Weight needs to get stronger. There is no way to spin this or hide from it.

His shot is good I will say. But there is a little trend of shooting right side a lot. Lots of velocity and some sniping but guys like Iggy, Eiserman, Sennecke can snipe just as good or better IMO.

I still have Demidov as 2nd BPA but there are areas to nit pick. I do think he has huge adjustments to the physical areas the NHL demands. That part is very difficult to guess on how he overcomes it.

I dont mind us picking Demidov because what he brings is an element the habs dont have at all. I wouldn’t want 2-3 players like him but just one might be the missing piece. His creativity is off the charts.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not from many of the posters, the claim was that they will only take players with size with a top-5 pick and the proof is that they passed on a special talent like Michkov aka the Russian Bedard to go with size. So yes drafting Demidov does disprove their theory.

Those people won't change their tune because the truth is the Habs didn't see Michkov that way, but they refuse to believe anyone thinks anything different about Michkov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont mind us picking Demidov because what he brings is an element the habs dont have at all. I wouldn’t want 2-3 players like him but just one might be the missing piece. His creativity is off the charts.

Certainly the type of winger who makes things easier for his center in terms of puck carrying through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone with possession. How he handles less time and space and more physical players is undetermined. Usually, the smaller types who skate like that have high IQ and overcome the challenge with energy/hard work and being smart about where they gravitate. Can't stop moving your feet and I found this was Drouin's problem. Once he knew his time was reduced and a hit was coming, he had brain cramps with the puck. lol

I have him rated high but I can find some areas to nit pick. Less nit picks I can find with Iggy though. Would I take Iggy over Demidov... not sure. I keep going back and forth and I have these two very close. Lindstrom a small notch below them. I have question marks about Lindstrom's vision/play making skills.

One thing I want to know at the combine is Demidov's actual weight. Is he still in the 160's or is he approaching 180 lbs. Then the question I don't have the answer for, is does he like contact (welcome it) or hates it like Drouin? That I find hard to determine but it's an important area to dig into as a scout.

Last edited:
Reactions: Be a Hab

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Mock drafts based on intel is cool, I like Basu and regularly tune into his podcast with Godin...but until the combine takes place, these mock drafts are not even educated guesses.
I’d trust what Basu knows. Doesn’t mean the draft will go as he guessed hut he said some interesting things.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From Mathias Brunet's article yesterday, Lindstrom is not a consensual top 5 pick. Demidov pretty much is. It would be a huge surprise to see Demidov up for grabs at 5. Of course, these lists are not absolute truth, but if they are any indication of what might go down, Habs might have a shot at Lindstrom; Demidov would be unlikely at best.

View attachment 877059
View attachment 877061
The lists are fun to look at but they don’t always tell the tale — especially not in a year such as this where it’s been sketchy after Celebrini.

Lindstrom just looks to me like the type of forward Columbus typically goes after — big, strapping forward who fits in with their big-bodied roster. Granted, that was Kekkalainen’s blueprint — maybe current management pivots.

Only reason I think Demidov may fall to the Habs is that there is the likelihood that 2 of the 3 teams selecting just ahead of the Habs, may opt for a D.

It’s the scenario that strikes me as probable however there are too many moving parts to form a reliable opinion.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
I think they are after both talent and size but also good skaters. Slaf and Reinbacher fit.

Are you saying we took the less talented Slaf over Cooley because he was bigger? :sarcasm:. Who's got more talent now? Bet you the draft so called experts would have said Cooley has more skill pre draft. Much different conversation today

The better drafting teams in the NHL go after all 3. Skill/Skating/Size. It's clear as day. Sometimes, you are in a draft spot where you can't find a guy with high grades at all 3 areas and then you go with the guy you think will be the best and skill/skating should not be sacrificed because you are looking at size. Like the KK, McCarron, and Tinordi picks for example.
Yes, I do think they took less skilled Slaf over Cooley (at time of draft) because he was bigger. I love Slaf and am very happy with his development but to say he's more "skilled" than Cooley is up for debate. Cooley played 2-3 minutes less on average vs. Slaf, 1 minute less on the PP and had only 6 points less. That's without getting into speed, vision, stickhandling etc. Slaf's only skill I'd rate higher is his shot from a pure hockey perspective. The team even said openly that they felt "his size" would allow them to pick more freely later in the round. So it was clearly a factor.

I think it should be BPA regardless of size. But yes size is an important part of the mix. 100% agree that skill/skating shouldn't be sacrificed because you're looking at size. I don't think they are picking plugs like we have in the past purely based on size. These are still good players but size is more of a factor in their decision making at these top picks then I'd like. Other posters have clearly said we won't pick players in this upcoming draft if they are below a certain size lol. If that doesn't tell you management is placing too much of an emphasis on it I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: montreal

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yes, I do think they took less skilled Slaf over Cooley (at time of draft) because he was bigger. I love Slaf and am very happy with his development but to say he's more "skilled" than Cooley is up for debate. Cooley played 2-3 minutes less on average vs. Slaf, 1 minute less on the PP and had only 6 points less. That's without getting into speed, vision, stickhandling etc. Slaf's only skill I'd rate higher is his shot from a pure hockey perspective. The team even said openly that they felt "his size" would allow them to pick more freely later in the round. So it was clearly a factor.

I think it should be BPA regardless of size. But yes size is an important part of the mix. 100% agree that skill/skating shouldn't be sacrificed because you're looking at size. I don't think they are picking plugs like we have in the past purely based on size. These are still good players but size is more of a factor in their decision making at these top picks then I'd like. Other posters have clearly said we won't pick players in this upcoming draft if they are below a certain size lol. If that doesn't tell you management is placing too much of an emphasis on it I don't know what to tell you.
Which player is better suited / more likely to carry over regular season games to playoffs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I’d trust what Basu knows. Doesn’t mean the draft will go as he guessed hut he said some interesting things.

Basu knows absolutely nothing.....why do people believe that writers know anything, he is a weak hockey mind with zero connections to decisions being made about the draft.

Reactions: mdk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad