SI hockey writer with complete rip job on Sweeney/B's

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/07/24/nhl-fan-misery-rankings-30-teams

BOSTON BRUINS

CUP DROUGHT: 4 SEASONS
2013 CUP FINALISTS
Hey, remember back in April when missing the playoffs for the first time since ’07 felt like hitting rock bottom? Those were good ol' days, eh? Since then, new GM Don Sweeney has sucked all hope from a franchise that won the Presidents' Trophy just 16 months ago. The inexplicable panic trade of 22-year-old Dougie Hamilton robbed an aging blueline of the heir apparent to Zdeno Chara, and fan favorite Milan Lucic was a cap casualty. Sweeney even managed to suck the fun out of owning three consecutive first-round picks, continuing a painful franchise trend of draft-day miscues. All together, the moves point to years of pointless, meandering mediocrity for the proud B's.

Seems to be a pretty premature analysis of Sweeney's moves and the B's future. Unless, of course, if he's right. But I think this is a pretty gratuitous hack job by Allan Muir.

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Sports Illustrated has more expertise covering Ice Dancing and Rhythmic Gymnastics than it does hockey. During the regular season, their coverage of up and coming High School athletes is bigger than their hockey section.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
It might be a bit of a hack job but it's what a lot of the people/fans around the league are saying.

At least he's not blaming Neely for the negatives but praising Sweeney for the positives like this board does.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
I need this guys Chrystal Ball, wonder if he knows who we should pick next year besides the obvious top 3. Draft criticism is so weird and unprofessional when said players haven't even played an NHL game yet. All three could bust or end up as HHOF'ers. This guy must know something we don't :sarcasm:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What the hell about the Hamilton trade was "inexplicable"? Guy wanted out, boom explained.

This article isn't even worth printing out and using as toilet paper.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
What the hell about the Hamilton trade was "inexplicable"? Guy wanted out, boom explained.

And what is explicable about a 21 year-old franchise D with no negociating leverage wanting out ?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It's natural to want to lash out against this article but truth is it will all likely come down to how Hayes, Beleskey and the picks work out. In the near term, if Hayes and Beleskey end up disappointments and Seids doesn't do a complete 180 from last season, this team could easily suck. Like bottom 10 teams in the NHL suck.

Personally I like what Sweeney did (save for the Hamilton deal), but it's largely because I badly wanted Lucic gone, and that trade was a steal. And I have faith in folks who claim this draft was a great one. But there's no arguing that we have a lot of eggs in the baskets of potentially mediocre players (Hayes, Beleskey, Connolly, Spooner). If those guys do end up mediocre, we will suck. And we could then be 3+ years from being decent.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You mean the return that was better than any OS below $7.3m per?

That return? A home run like the Lucic deal would have been nice, but the return for Hamiton was average, not horrible.

Pretty much. Sweeney was painted into a difficult corner and did what he had to do. I've come full circle on him since draft day and I really, really like what he has done.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
It's natural to want to lash out against this article but truth is it will all likely come down to how Hayes, Beleskey and the picks work out. In the near term, if Hayes and Beleskey end up disappointments and Seids doesn't do a complete 180 from last season, this team could easily suck. Like bottom 10 teams in the NHL suck.

Personally I like what Sweeney did (save for the Hamilton deal), but it's largely because I badly wanted Lucic gone, and that trade was a steal. And I have faith in folks who claim this draft was a great one. But there's no arguing that we have a lot of eggs in the baskets of potentially mediocre players (Hayes, Beleskey, Connolly, Spooner). If those guys do end up mediocre, we will suck. And we could then be 3+ years from being decent.

I have liked Muir's columns in the past; not sure I can say now that he's totally off his rocker on this. Think you're totally right, bp, as usual. We swung for the fences on some of these pickups and draft picks. Possible, but hard to imagine, that they all end up being home runs. As for next season, regrettably, I'm expecting to be falling asleep in my easy chair by mid 2nd period on most nights, as I was many nights this past season. Many nights, I was much more entertained posting to the GDTs rather than watching what was happening, (or actually "not happening") on the ice...:help:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The return

How exactly were they going to get a better return, when the teams who want him could just offer sheet him? We got more than we would have in an offer sheet in a better draft. If we had asked for more, Calgary (and others) would have just offer sheeted him instead of paying more.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I was going to say the exact same thing. It sounds like the lazy SI writer wrote his "hot take" on the Bruins about two days after the trade - and that hot take is now tepid at best.

The trade was inexplicable when it happened. It was quickly explicated when Dougie signed with the Flames for basically what the B's were offering, plus a pair of Jiri Hudler's shoes. I'll admit I was team #FireSweeney for a few days until I figured out what had happened.

If anything, Sweeney's move showed that the Bruins are not in the business of taking hostages. Yeah, the value he got for Dougie was fair-to-middling, but it was tons better than an OS, given the draft depth this year. And I'll stand by that statement even if all the Dougie picks wind up busting - you can't always be results-oriented.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
I liked our draft picks. I like how this team is set up in the future. We finally have cap flexibility again.

However

This team doesn't look to be very good this year. Who knows, maybe they can surprise a few people, but honestly, the way the Bruins are constructed now, they don't have the horses to compete with the rest of teh league.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Blunders would be the Hamilton return and the wasted 3rd rounder on Rinaldo...

Jury is still out on the draft picks...

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
How exactly were they going to get a better return, when the teams who want him could just offer sheet him? We got more than we would have in an offer sheet in a better draft. If we had asked for more, Calgary (and others) would have just offer sheeted him instead of paying more.

Yes but they run the risk of the Bruins matching any offer sheet.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/07/24/nhl-fan-misery-rankings-30-teams

Seems to be a pretty premature analysis of Sweeney's moves and the B's future. Unless, of course, if he's right. But I think this is a pretty gratuitous hack job by Allan Muir.

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere.

I thought Allen Muir was going to give up writing if Joe Colborne ever made the NHL?

Glad it was Allen Muir who wrote this. I get SI and dont even both reading him so there yah go.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yes but they run the risk of the Bruins matching any offer sheet.

Hence why they gave a little more. I'm quite sure that the book was out on Hamilton not wanting to be here, and good for Sweeney for not wasting the money it would have taken to keep a player who didn't want to be here. It wasn't a great trade, but it was better than paying up to 7 million for a malcontent or lose him for less picks in a shallower draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad