"Shout out to my fans in Calgary. You know I couldn't let Edmonton win." - Matthew Tkachuk, and other chirping of his

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

lawrence

May 19, 2012
In all fairness the return was good. Or so most thought at the time. In fact most thought Florida got fleeced!

Huberdeau was coming off a 115 point season, and Weegar is a very good player. Plus there was a conditional 1st round pick included and a decent prospect included. I know it is hindsight, but Calgary should have flipped Huberdeau for picks instead of re-signing him to that crazy extension.

From the Florida perspective we got an elite 1st winger in his prime. Huberdeau was exiting his. Weegar has worked out well for Calgary. Time will tell if the 1st round pick or Schwindt amounts to anything for Calgary.

I was on the Florida side of winning the trade. the trade was good on paper since it looked like Trevling is not settling for that, the traditional rout of 1st round pick plus blue chip prospect plus young roster player in return. I know he in return also got a 100 point player, and so for, but man really?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The trade itself was fine.

It was the immediate extensions that were the problem. If Calgary hadn't gotten scared about Weegar and Huberdeau bailing on them and their season went as it did they would've had some very nice pieces to sell at the deadline and subsequently gotten worse just in time for the Bedard draft year. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but extending anyone before they've even played a game for you is a bizarre idea to me.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
I was on the Florida side of winning the trade. the trade was good on paper since it looked like Trevling is not settling for that, the traditional rout of 1st round pick plus blue chip prospect plus young roster player in return. I know he in return also got a 100 point player, and so for, but man really?
Calgary did very good for being forced to trade. Florida didn't need to trade their top scorer and top 4 defenseman they were a first place team!

However since then Florida changed their style a bit and Hubderdeau hasn't gelled well in Calgary. He would be great in Edmonton if not for the cap hit

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Calgary did very good for being forced to trade. Florida didn't need to trade their top scorer and top 4 defenseman they were a first place team!
They wouldn’t have had cap room to re-sign both Hubie and Weegar, though. Weegar was gone for sure even if no Tkachuk trade happened.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
At the time of the trade, it was close but thought Florida getting Tkachuk was a small win. Tkachuk has upside going to a high scoring run and gun Panthers team. Huberdeau can only go down playing on Flames. I knew Huberdeau wouldnt come close to 115 pts playing Calgary but thought as #1 player he'd still get 70-75. Anyone who thinks Huberdeau would still get 100+ on Calgary is being unrealistic. Turns out he can barely get 50. Blake Coleman did better. So it's a clear win for Florida already. The cup win makes it even moreso.

What makes it worse is the Huberdeau contract was insane too. In post mortem analysis now makes the deal look like Florida ripped off Calgary. But at the time of the flip it wasnt too bad.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
McDavid said he wanted to win the cup, but didn’t do anything in the last two games when it mattered the most.
Let’s see if he wants to stay in Edmonton.

MT won the cup and the chirp…and he is obviously living rent free in Alberta, just up north.

Reactions: bh53

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
I was watching videos of the oilers public viewings and there was so much garbage on the floor after they left. People didn't even bother picking up after themselves. Disgusting.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Love it! Love to see some chirping at Edmonton's expense lol. His comments certainly rubbed a lot of people the wrong way which is hilarious.

People are delusional if they think that he still doesn't have a lot of fans in Calgary, which is who he was talking to. I don't think he really cares if other people don't like him.
Imagine cheering for a guy who quit on your team while it was a contender which then kickstarted one of the ugliest rebuilds we'll ever see.

I know a few flames fans and they all hate the guy. They have a bit of sympathy for JG because he played out his RFA years but if you're a flames fan with any sense of GM duties he should be as disliked as Cutter is in Philly.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Imagine cheering for a guy who quit on your team while it was a contender which then kickstarted one of the ugliest rebuilds we'll ever see.

I know a few flames fans and they all hate the guy. They have a bit of sympathy for JG because he played out his RFA years but if you're a flames fan with any sense of GM duties he should be as disliked as Cutter is in Philly.
Not “my team” I’m a Penguins fan. I get the bitter feelings toward him from Calgary fans, that doesn’t make it any less entertaining for me. Lol, that kinda makes it funnier.

He still has fans there though, I’m sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad