Blue Jays Discussion: Should've gotten the live chicken (Next TV Game: Wed 26th vs NYY) ‎

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Do you have anything at all to back up that statement? I'll put my money on nope. I've never heard anything even remotely similar to that I'll call it lie. Making stuff up doesn't slide through here unnoticed

How much cash do you wish to wage against this supposed lie?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Do you have anything at all to back up that statement? I'll put my money on nope. I've never heard anything even remotely similar to that I'll call it lie. Making stuff up doesn't slide through here unnoticed

I have actually heard this rumour my self, I think it was the score blog, but not sure how credible it is.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I have actually heard this rumour my self, I think it was the score blog, but not sure how credible it is.

I'll let Dredye keep his money, and will anticipate an apology instead.

Here's the Article, from NY Daily:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/arnaud-shot-met-opener-article-1.1242303

And the relevant quote:

Here’s a snapshot of how high the Mets are on d’Arnaud: Alderson said that he tried to get two specific players from an unnamed team for Dickey, but the team balked. But when Alderson acquired d’Arnaud, the team called back and offered the same two players for d’Arnaud alone. Alderson said no, even though the Mets would’ve kept the other players acquired from Toronto.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I'll let Dredye keep his money, and will anticipate an apology instead.

Here's the Article, from NY Daily:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/arnaud-shot-met-opener-article-1.1242303

And the relevant quote:

Here’s a snapshot of how high the Mets are on d’Arnaud: Alderson said that he tried to get two specific players from an unnamed team for Dickey, but the team balked. But when Alderson acquired d’Arnaud, the team called back and offered the same two players for d’Arnaud alone. Alderson said no, even though the Mets would’ve kept the other players acquired from Toronto.
Well my face is red. I do apologize for my over the top statement but there is a lot of random garbage thrown out around here. Of course I call out the wrong poster. Again my apologies

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well my face is red. I do apologize for my over the top statement but there is a lot of random garbage thrown out around here. Of course I call out the wrong poster. Again my apologies

Thank you sir - in all fairness, I also found that quote hard to believe initially, especially given that AA is rumoured to inquire on just about everyone with just about everyone. But there it is, from the horse's mouth.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Thank you sir - in all fairness, I also found that quote hard to believe initially, especially given that AA is rumoured to inquire on just about everyone with just about everyone. But there it is, from the horse's mouth.

The trick there is whether or not that team offered the same pieces to the Blue Jays for d'Arnaud. It could've been an AL team that didn't want to keep those parts in-league or in-division. Or it could've been a case like the Fister trade where the other team locked everyone else out of the loop.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The trick there is whether or not that team offered the same pieces to the Blue Jays for d'Arnaud. It could've been an AL team that didn't want to keep those parts in-league or in-division. Or it could've been a case like the Fister trade where the other team locked everyone else out of the loop.

Even if that's the case, the bigger shame is that Alderson would have accepted D'Arnaud if AA could have negotiated firmer. But Alderson sensed the desperation, asked for the moon, and AA gave it to him.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
In fairness, from the start (way back when he was injured originally) the speculation was that giving him regular rest period would be the most beneficial.

It seems like his arm is in good enough shape to log more innings. Giving him 4 days rest between starts may actually work in his favour.

I like it though, highest upside arm in the rotation

I mean the upside is obviously there I just get worried since it's Dustin. I really hope it works out. Guy has been through alot and never gave up

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Even if that's the case, the bigger shame is that Alderson would have accepted D'Arnaud if AA could have negotiated firmer. But Alderson sensed the desperation, asked for the moon, and AA gave it to him.

Like Nemesis said though. Without knowing who the third party is or even if it's the Mets trying to pump the tires a little extra on the trade. You can't really fault AA that much in this situation. I'm sure had he known he could make a trade with team ex and get all the required pieces from them to get Dickey while holding onto Syndeergard he would have. I'm sure he looked at it as that was the offer he had to top and did it. Much to all of our chagrin.

I mean the upside is obviously there I just get worried since it's Dustin. I really hope it works out. Guy has been through alot and never gave up

You've got to respect the man for putting it all on the line though. It is a contract year for him so one last chance to maybe get a bigger payday. More money and opportunity for starters than relievers

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

What's there to be worried about? That McGowan gets hurt again? If it happens. It happens. The team should go with the best arm in that role and not make its decision based on fears of injury. The Jays can't control whether or not he gets hurt.

But they can control the role he occupies. With Janssen, Santos, Delabar, Cecil and Loup in the bullpen having an arm like McGowan out there is overkill.

I'd rather see McGowan in the rotation over a journeyman like Redmond or a just-a-guy like Rogers.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
What's there to be worried about? That McGowan gets hurt again? If it happens. It happens. The team should go with the best arm in that role and not make its decision based on fears of injury. The Jays can't control whether or not he gets hurt.

But they can control the role he occupies. With Janssen, Santos, Delabar, Cecil and Loup in the bullpen having an arm like McGowan out there is overkill.

I'd rather see McGowan in the rotation over a journeyman like Redmond or a just-a-guy like Rogers.

This is kinda how I feel too. At this point so what it McGowan gets hurt? As a team, we've got a ton of reliever depth.

If his body holds up as a starter, its a huge coup, because we know what kind of stuff he has.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, I don't want to see him get injured, God knows he's worked hard for it. But it seems like he's interested in starting too and thats what he wants. I feel far more comfortable knowing we've got a guy with top of the rotation stuff, but injury concerns rather than playing it safe, putting a guy with borderline stuff but knowing he can make 30 starts.

There's also nothing wrong with keeping a strict pitch count on him. Even if he only gives you 5 very good to excellent innings each start, you can throw in Redmond who was very good in his first time through the rotation last year. If he can give you 2-3 innings every 5th day we're fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad