Blue Jays Discussion: Should've gotten the live chicken (Next TV Game: Wed 26th vs NYY) ‎

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
Bench player? The jays are on the hook for his money if he refuses his assignment and they can't trade him within two weeks. Not a great thing.
Yeah, our bench sucks IMO. Would like to see another half decent bat instead of 8 relievers.

Wasn't aware the jays would be on the hook. I'd still be happy with paying him to play somewhere else, even if we can't upgrade the bench.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah, our bench sucks IMO. Would like to see another half decent bat instead of 8 relievers.

Wasn't aware the jays would be on the hook. I'd still be happy with paying him to play somewhere else, even if we can't upgrade the bench.

I thought you meant Happ was a bench player. If they don't have a spot for him they need to trade him. They can't afford to burn his salary.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
First game against the Yanks, I'm expecting someone to nail Jeter in the head. Pissed, EE seemed to be in a lot of pain.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I know it's taboo to look into ST stats, but Melky leads the league with 10 doubles in 19 games. Pretty crazy.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I know it's taboo to look into ST stats, but Melky leads the league with 10 doubles in 19 games. Pretty crazy.

OPS for each positional player

Reyes - .610
Cabrera - 1.038
Bautista - 1.183
Encarnacion - .920
Lind - .995
Lawrie - .815
Rasmus - .634
Navarro - .603
Goins - .474

Izturis - .550
Sierra - .818
Thole - .577

You can see that there's 6 obvious standouts. Rasmus was pretty mediocre last spring too, although he did walk at a pretty damn high rate. Reyes I'm not worried about as he is typically a slow starter in April. Navarro, I'd generally like to see more from a new face but it is spring training. At least he doesn't strike out as frequently as JP K-rencibia. Bench is nothing we wouldn't really expect to be honest. Maybe Izturis can go back to his playing ability with the Angels but he seems to be regressing due to age. Thole is Thole, and Sierra can slug against left handed pitching.

Goins is obviously the weakest link of the lineup. No glove would make a .400 OPS irrelevant or a nonissue so I hope he could at least work on getting on base more frequently. No surprise that he has walked 3x as much as when he did in the bigs last season.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Chill about the spring ass-kickings. Spring records have no correlation with regular season records, you can see that every year. It was just 2012 that the Jays set the club record for Grapefruit League wins.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Just curious how long until realistically AJ Jimenez might be our full time catcher?

I really hated the Dickey trade when it happened, I was really looking forward to d'Arnaud in a Jays uniform, not to mention Syndergaard too, but I didn't like losing d'Arnaud.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just curious how long until realistically AJ Jimenez might be our full time catcher?

I really hated the Dickey trade when it happened, I was really looking forward to d'Arnaud in a Jays uniform, not to mention Syndergaard too, but I didn't like losing d'Arnaud.

He probably starts getting time with the team before the season is over. Then he could conceivably transition to the backup/tandem job next season and then be ready to start by the time Navarro's contract is up after 2015

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

This has been re (and re-re) hashed ad ifinitum, but I disagreed with the inclusion of Syndergaard and was OK with giving up d'Arnaud. Travis has always had durability question marks. But he is still a prime prospect, and him along with a lesser spec arm than Noah would have been enough for a guy like Dickey who has question marks of his own. I would still trade d'Arnaud for Dickey straight up today; he's no Buster Posey.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This has been re (and re-re) hashed ad ifinitum, but I disagreed with the inclusion of Syndergaard and was OK with giving up d'Arnaud. Travis has always had durability question marks. But he is still a prime prospect, and him along with a lesser spec arm than Noah would have been enough for a guy like Dickey who has question marks of his own. I would still trade d'Arnaud for Dickey straight up today; he's no Buster Posey.

It sucks seeing how Syndergaard has progressed, but he's overachieving his expectations from when he was with the Jays.

and if anything, hindsight makes me agree on d'Arnaud. The injuries are still happening with him and if he can't hack it as a full time catcher, his offensive profile goes from being very good to below-average as a 1B or DH (granted, the latter isn't a concern for the Mets)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

At the time when the rumours were going around I thought d'Arnaud for Dickey sounded fair, and was ok with it considering we had just gone out and made that big trade with the Marlins and were supposed to be competitive now.

I thought adding in Syndergaard was overpayment though.

I get that you guys probably have discussed this to the point where I'm probably kicking a dead horse. I wasn't intending on rehashing that trade debate just giving a reason why I was inquiring about Jimenez, I had been looking forward to d'Arnaud hopefully suring up our catchers spot, and now have to wait for AJ.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It sucks seeing how Syndergaard has progressed, but he's overachieving his expectations from when he was with the Jays.

and if anything, hindsight makes me agree on d'Arnaud. The injuries are still happening with him and if he can't hack it as a full time catcher, his offensive profile goes from being very good to below-average as a 1B or DH (granted, the latter isn't a concern for the Mets)

Yeah hindsight is tough to operate on but at the time I felt the Dickey trade was a tad overkill on a successful offseason .. Like AA was being too aggressive to make the team a winner, left an uneasy feeling in my stomach

I would have been happy to just have the trade with the Marlins that filled some holes in the roster and continued letting the young players develop .. Ah well, the Jays still have some good arms in the system - besides how many hyped pitching prospects have we seen flop?

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Scott MacArthur ‏@TSNScottyMac 2h
Anthopoulos says Encarnacion is fine. EE had a white wrapping on right hand/forearm area where he was hit by pitch

Also says the hope is for Reyes to DH Friday in Mont. Says he will be ready for opening day

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
At the time when the rumours were going around I thought d'Arnaud for Dickey sounded fair, and was ok with it considering we had just gone out and made that big trade with the Marlins and were supposed to be competitive now.

I thought adding in Syndergaard was overpayment though.

I get that you guys probably have discussed this to the point where I'm probably kicking a dead horse. I wasn't intending on rehashing that trade debate just giving a reason why I was inquiring about Jimenez, I had been looking forward to d'Arnaud hopefully suring up our catchers spot, and now have to wait for AJ.

Here's the sad thing.

Apparently, the Mets Gm had asked for 2 prospects from some team for Dickey. That team refused. After our trade, that team called and offered the same 2 guys for Darnaud alone. Mets GM refused.

So if AA was simply...better at his gig, we coulda very easily kept Noah.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Here's the sad thing.

Apparently, the Mets Gm had asked for 2 prospects from some team for Dickey. That team refused. After our trade, that team called and offered the same 2 guys for Darnaud alone. Mets GM refused.

So if AA was simply...better at his gig, we coulda very easily kept Noah.

Do you have anything at all to back up that statement? I'll put my money on nope. I've never heard anything even remotely similar to that I'll call it lie. Making stuff up doesn't slide through here unnoticed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad