Value of: Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's one of those rare goalies who is worth overpaying.

I hate that he's a ranger though. How is it that they've had elite goalies for my entire life?

Vanbiesbrouck
Richter
Lundqvist
Shesterkin

That's an incredible run of goalies.

Remember that one year when Mike Dunham played 50+ games?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The real question is what is his value in a trade because the Rangers, who already can’t put a strong 5v5 team around a discounted Igor, sure as f*** aren’t going to be able to do it when he’s the highest paid goalie ever.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I trade him before he gets a penny over 9.5
No way they let him walk. I don’t think they should either, although I certainly understand the sentiment. What’s the alternative? He walks then you need to move assets to replace him with an inferior player?

Honestly, he has every right to be the highest paid goalie in the league. He’ll still take home less than the guys in Florida.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
He's one of those rare goalies who is worth overpaying.

I hate that he's a ranger though. How is it that they've had elite goalies for my entire life?

Vanbiesbrouck
Richter
Lundqvist
Shesterkin

That's an incredible run of goalies.

Remember that one year when Mike Dunham played 50+ games?

Totally agree. I don't believe in term for goalies and especially contracts that take a goalie into like age 36. I am a Devils fan who deeply feared the back end of a potential Hellebuyck contract.

And having said all that just give him the 8*$12m. He is the rarest of goalies and the exception to all the rules I mention above. And if somehow someway the Rangers fumbled the ball I would want my Devils to throw the massive bag at him.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Totally agree. I don't believe in term for goalies and especially contracts that take a goalie into like age 36. I am a Devils fan who deeply feared the back end of a potential Hellebuyck contract.

And having said all that just give him the 8*$12m. He is the rarest of goalies and the exception to all the rules I mention above. And if somehow someway the Rangers fumbled the ball I would want my Devils to throw the massive bag at him.
Agreed. Shesterkin can make a $15M defense look like a $25M defense. I think it's worth giving him $2-4M more than "market value". He's arguably one of the best playoff goalies we've ever seen. He's 3rd all time in playoff sv% among the 83 goalies with >35 playoff gp since 1970, and he's done that during the highest scoring era in over 30+ years.

1. Thomas 0.933%
2. Anderson 0.929%
3. Shesterkin 0.928%

The only two guys ahead of him were both from the "dead puck era 2.0" - scoring has jumped 15% higher since then. (Tim Thomas is 1st - and he played behind an elite defensive team; Craig Anderson is surprisingly 2nd (he did that primarily behind a some stingy Ottawa teams coached by Boucher & McLean).

To give a sense of how much scoring has really jumped - he's 3rd in all time save percentage, but still 25th in GAA...

Considering his prowess, I think he has claim to earn one of the highest contracts ever.

Look at some of the biggest goalie contracts in the last 10-15 years, from a % of cap perspective:

- Price 14.0%
- Lundqvist 13.2%
- Bobrovsky 12.3%
- Vasilevsky 11.7%
- Hellebuyck 10.2%

I think you could make a pretty reasonable case that he'll be worth ~12-13% of the league cap when he signs, which is projected to be around $92M in 2025-26. That would yield an $11-12M AAV

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
He surely have the right to being best paid goalie in the league, but its not necessarily best way for the Rangers. This team need every penny of the cap to make this roster competitive, 5v5 hockey was so lackluster they might need major shake up in personnel to change the way they play.

This roster have lot of talent and many of them are justified for rise. Every penny could be deciding factor for keeping all of them. Lafreniere, Schneider, Miller, Cuylle. Not mentioning guys who could emerge from the farm system. NY is expensive place to live and it can't be very tempting if you earn league minimum salary or close to it.

I think Drury has to take hard stand in negotiations. Rangers are in a cap crunch already without winning and in the end of day its the only thing that matters.

Personally I would make Igor best paid goalie in the area and give him max term. It's still a lot of money. But Drury has to start demand everyone to take less if they want stay competitive.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think the league is trending away from highly paid goalies, simply due to the propensity of lesser paid goalies getting hot.

That being said, he's clearly the most valuable goalie in the league, and we are finally in a position of substantial cap increases. If it were my guess, he goes $11m x 8, making him the highest paid goalie ever; even if he might be leaving a little money on the table over time.
If Rangers are smart they get him inked July 1st.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
He's as good as any goalie in the league, you gotta think he will at least as much as Bob (10 mil per). NYR went from King Henrik to Igor, that is some elite goaltending for almost 2 decades now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
As elite as he is the moment they sign him to that contract is the end of their window

Panarin, Ziba, Kreider, Trocheck etc are already getting old and making Shest one of the highest paid players in the league on top of it for his +30y contract won’t make things any easier

Reactions: pld459666

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
So the last time this happened, I started a thread called something like "Is Henrik really in the driver's seat". My question at the time was who were the teams that could actually put together an offer that would would break the bank for Lundqvist.

The idea was basically that the Rangers were going to be their own worst enemy and overpay Henrik because they were afraid to lose him, but that really, there were no teams out there in pisition to make it happen.

So today, who can throw 12m at a goaltender? Who has that kind of space to add any UFA right now at that price? More importantly, the league has shown that you can overcome not having the best goaltender if you can score and give your guy support. It's not a good place to spend your money.

I will say it now, giving him 12m would be a distaster. He is on the young end of the Rangers core. That means that should he resign with the Rangers, you're looking at probably 3-4 years and you're going to be in the process of a total roster overhaul/rebuild.

The worst thing to be IMO, is a team with a bad roster and a great goalie. You're never good enough to win it all and never bad enough for it to make you better. Hockey Purgatory.

I ask immediately what Igor is thinking contract wise. If that number starts with double digits, I think you call the bluff and offer him 8-9m per. I don't want 8 yrs, either. There would be no way to have a 36 yr old Igor at that hit. You will be a rich man at 8-9m per. You will be the second hall of fame goaltender in a row to finish his career with no cup if you make it 10m or more.

If these players are going to keep demanding these rates in a salary capped league, the owners are gonna have to insist on non-guarnteed contracts similar to the NFL.

Igor has had two seasons I can remember with months of off time due to groin issues. Our legendary goalie coach is going PT into his back 9.

This has a DiPietro vibe to it that I'm not jiving with as a fan.

LTIR isn't the answer either. If its a HARD NO from NHLPA about not non-guarenteed contracts, then some kind of rider that allows a buy out w/zero cap implications when xxx time on LTIR is accrued needs to be a HARD NO from the owners to the league.

Even then...I'm with you. There are too many roster spots to fill and have your Goalie eat that much cap space.

I'm a goalie. I get it. He's fenominal at what he does. He deserves to get paid. But I don't see a path to winning the Cup with an elite Goalie and team of plugs. We went that route with Torts. His system is about the only way to make it work but the skaters take a beating and as we saw, were on their last legs by the time they got to LA, who brutalized them.

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Not saying he's not worth the 10-12 he may get.

I personally do not believe you should tie up close to 14 million in your goalie position.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I read this and thought.. when the hell did Montreal make it to the finals.... 2021 must of been the year I took off from hockey due to Sabres sucking so bad.

How the hell did Tampa end up playing Montreal in the finals? .. Im flabbergasted
Price played and was hot. Strong special teams can carry s team.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I will say it now, giving him 12m would be a distaster. He is on the young end of the Rangers core. That means that should he resign with the Rangers, you're looking at probably 3-4 years and you're going to be in the process of a total roster overhaul/rebuild.
This doesn't need to be the case. If we make moves that help us in the future as well as the present, rather than being hyper-focused on winning now, we can weather the transition. We have enough good young players, with more on the way, that along with some shrewd trades/signings, can help us maintain a high level of play.
The worst thing to be IMO, is a team with a bad roster and a great goalie. You're never good enough to win it all and never bad enough for it to make you better. Hockey Purgatory.
Who says that Shesty can't be traded in the middle of the contract if the team needs to rebuild?

If he is still at the top of his game, there would be teams willing to trade for him. The cap hit (I don't think it will be 12 mil) can be dealt with. If we are truly bottoming out at that point, we can take back cap dumps to make the cap work.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
If NYR gives him $12 Mil per every goalie with the same numbers the past 3 seasons are going to ask for the same amount essentially screwing teams close to the cap that need a good goalie. I think he is fantastic but not $12 MIl a year fantastic.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
what happened to shesty earlier in the season,? guy was very beatable. Imagine paying 12 million for that? Was that just a blip on the radar? Post season certainly was good. Tough but easy decision for Drury here.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
The rumor was 12AAV. I'd expect it to land just north of the Price 10.5/ Bob 10 AAV. So perhaps 8x11.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
what happened to shesty earlier in the season,? guy was very beatable.
Not really sure, maybe it was an adjustment to how the team was playing in front of him. His glove hand was also broken. It was really bad for a while. They sat him for 3-4 games before and after the all star break and from that point forward he was lights out.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Not really sure, maybe it was an adjustment to how the team was playing in front of him. His glove hand was also broken. It was really bad for a while. They sat him for 3-4 games before and after the all star break and from that point forward he was lights out.
Hear ya, just a tough position, minor tweaks can be good or bad. The blue shirts brass have a Nice problemo to decide on. Think Drury swallows the pill

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It’s a sad irony that having a team that consistently finds and develops top goaltending talent somehow only translates into cap issues and never winning.

Goaltender is the most important position but it’s also the only one where it’s possible to see a mediocre talent go on an elite run for a whole playoff, or a whole season.

The cap makes it impossible to pay these top guys what they deserve and to also surround them with the skater talent that’s needed to win the Cup.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
for maximum wailing and gnashing of teeth...

he becomes a ufa when vasi has to give TB a 10 team trade list, right? lightning trade vasi, sign shesterkin for "only" $11million per. tampa's only taking an extra 1.5 million against the cap, so it doesn't really destroy how their roster is built.

large swathes of people cry out "tax advantage!!!" through tears of blood.

(tampa beats my canes every year in the playoffs during the contract. sad trombone)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As elite as he is the moment they sign him to that contract is the end of their window

Panarin, Ziba, Kreider, Trocheck etc are already getting old and making Shest one of the highest paid players in the league on top of it for his +30y contract won’t make things any easier
Hate to break it to you, but it’s a lot more the “end of the window” not signing your best player. The Rangers are a bubble playoff team with an average goalie.

The “don’t sign your best player because others are bad contracts” seems counterintuitive. Shed your bad contracts, not your best when he’s up for an extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad