Value of: Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
So the last time this happened, I started a thread called something like "Is Henrik really in the driver's seat". My question at the time was who were the teams that could actually put together an offer that would would break the bank for Lundqvist.

The idea was basically that the Rangers were going to be their own worst enemy and overpay Henrik because they were afraid to lose him, but that really, there were no teams out there in pisition to make it happen.

So today, who can throw 12m at a goaltender? Who has that kind of space to add any UFA right now at that price? More importantly, the league has shown that you can overcome not having the best goaltender if you can score and give your guy support. It's not a good place to spend your money.

I will say it now, giving him 12m would be a distaster. He is on the young end of the Rangers core. That means that should he resign with the Rangers, you're looking at probably 3-4 years and you're going to be in the process of a total roster overhaul/rebuild.

The worst thing to be IMO, is a team with a bad roster and a great goalie. You're never good enough to win it all and never bad enough for it to make you better. Hockey Purgatory.

I ask immediately what Igor is thinking contract wise. If that number starts with double digits, I think you call the bluff and offer him 8-9m per. I don't want 8 yrs, either. There would be no way to have a 36 yr old Igor at that hit. You will be a rich man at 8-9m per. You will be the second hall of fame goaltender in a row to finish his career with no cup if you make it 10m or more.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Love it or hate it, his next contract is going to start at 10+ million, it's a question of how much above that he goes. He's been the best goalie in the league overall for the last 3 seasons (imo) and elevates his play in the playoffs (His career sv% in the playoffs is an absurd .928). If 30 year old Hellebuyck signed for 8.5 million aav on max term, 28 year old Shesterkin deserves to be getting 10+ million

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Looking at his track record, what Sorokin got recently, and the percent of cap Bob got at the time of his signing, I can defintely see Igor getting 10+mil per with 11per being attainable

Reactions: Forge

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I mean good for him. He has the Rangers by the balls and just likely had his best postseason he will ever have and is cashing in.

Plus as a Leafs fan it's nice to see another team have a player say f*** you pay me
Funny you bring up the Leafs, because Shesterkin could easily look at the Matthews contract and say "I'm far more important to my team's success than he is, and I actually show up in the playoffs"

Hell he can look at Panarin and say the same thing

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Elliott also mentioned today that when you look at percentage of the cap, price got about 14%. Based on expected cap for when his extension starts, that would be about 12+.

That said, I dunno if Igor is going to go all out for that. I think he gets high 10 or 11.

There's no reason that he shouldn't be the highest paid goalie in the league given how long ago those price and Bob contracts were signed.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think the league is trending away from highly paid goalies, simply due to the propensity of lesser paid goalies getting hot.

That being said, he's clearly the most valuable goalie in the league, and we are finally in a position of substantial cap increases. If it were my guess, he goes $11m x 8, making him the highest paid goalie ever; even if he might be leaving a little money on the table over time.

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
Funny you bring up the Leafs, because Shesterkin could easily look at the Matthews contract and say "I'm far more important to my team's success than he is, and I actually show up in the playoffs"

Hell he can look at Panarin and say the same thing
Ouch. That’ll leave a maple leaf-shaped mark.

Reactions: JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think the league is trending away from highly paid goalies, simply due to the propensity of lesser paid goalies getting hot.

That being said, he's clearly the most valuable goalie in the league, and we are finally in a position of substantial cap increases. If it were my guess, he goes $11m x 8, making him the highest paid goalie ever; even if he might be leaving a little money on the table over time.
I dunno about that, of the last 10 starting goalies in the finals 6 have been well paid. (Vasi x3, Bob x2, Price)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I dunno about that, of the last 10 starting goalies in the finals 6 have been well paid. (Vasi x3, Bob x2, Price)

I read this and thought.. when the hell did Montreal make it to the finals.... 2021 must of been the year I took off from hockey due to Sabres sucking so bad.

How the hell did Tampa end up playing Montreal in the finals? .. Im flabbergasted

Reactions: QuizGuy66

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I read this and thought.. when the hell did Montreal make it to the finals.... 2021 must of been the year I took off from hockey due to Sabres sucking so bad.

How the hell did Tampa end up playing Montreal in the finals? .. Im flabbergasted
Haha I don't blame ya. Covid and Canada's incompetence lead to the worst division the league has seen since the original expansion, and conferences didn't exist that year either

Reactions: Beerz

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
So the last time this happened, I started a thread called something like "Is Henrik really in the driver's seat". My question at the time was who were the teams that could actually put together an offer that would would break the bank for Lundqvist.

The idea was basically that the Rangers were going to be their own worst enemy and overpay Henrik because they were afraid to lose him, but that really, there were no teams out there in pisition to make it happen.

So today, who can throw 12m at a goaltender? Who has that kind of space to add any UFA right now at that price? More importantly, the league has shown that you can overcome not having the best goaltender if you can score and give your guy support. It's not a good place to spend your money.

I will say it now, giving him 12m would be a distaster. He is on the young end of the Rangers core. That means that should he resign with the Rangers, you're looking at probably 3-4 years and you're going to be in the process of a total roster overhaul/rebuild.

The worst thing to be IMO, is a team with a bad roster and a great goalie. You're never good enough to win it all and never bad enough for it to make you better. Hockey Purgatory.

I ask immediately what Igor is thinking contract wise. If that number starts with double digits, I think you call the bluff and offer him 8-9m per. I don't want 8 yrs, either. There would be no way to have a 36 yr old Igor at that hit. You will be a rich man at 8-9m per. You will be the second hall of fame goaltender in a row to finish his career with no cup if you make it 10m or more.

Cap is going to go up another 4-5mil that season. There will be multiple teams going for him at that price if he's around July 1st.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
8 years/$11.5 million AAV

The Canada Division was terrible, and then Price played great and Fleury played terrible so they upset Vegas.

Reactions: Beerz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad