Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Weird how as soon as Babcock leaves the team gets more physical and improved in every defensive stat. Babcock’s systems didn’t lead to playoff success in a decade, when he did win with a stacked Detroit team they sure as shit weren’t running a stretch pass obsessed game of shinny like he ran here.

I don’t get this delusion that Babcock preached some sort of low offense defensive grinding game that would hurt their numbers, they got their drastic overpayments you cry about entirely under Babcock’s system.

Where did people get the idea that Mike “the powerplay is my enforcer” Babcock is a gritty defensive mastermind?
My point is that the entitled spoiled whiney selfish and greedy core young players were in open rebellion to Babcock's systems and barely even followed them. To which he responded by lowering their ice times (holding them accountable). It didn't work, I get that. They had to try something else.

Their decision was to put a rookie in as coach who will essentially just do whatever the core want him to do. Worth a try I guess. The core are so talented that letting them pretty much coach the team might work out.

But we've seen that didn't work either. And we should have LONG ago figured that out (like I did years and years ago). The horribly entitled and selfish core should have been broken up long ago and a more" systems coach that stands up to star players should have been put in.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
he's got one more year and thats it
i just hope pelley tells us tomorrow he wont have any say in hockey decisions
This might be as close to a firing as we’ll get, as long as the mistake from Mimico has no say in hockey operations I’m good……..

Reactions: The Masters

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I think we're at the point where MLSE has to wonder, maybe the coaches aren't the (only) problem but the players?

Personally, I think we were at that point years ago but hopefully Pelley comes in and changes the "Let's treat our stars like gods and everyone in the organization bows before them" approach to one that lets them know they aren't.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think we're at the point where MLSE has to wonder, maybe the coaches aren't the (only) problem but the players?

Personally, I think we were at that point years ago but hopefully Pelley comes in and changes the "Let's treat our stars like gods and everyone in the organization bows before them" approach to one that lets them know they aren't.
Hopefully Pelley is not as blind as Shanny. Will be interesting to watch Shanny with his tail between his legs tomorrow. I dare him to say, "we will win with this core" again.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
My point is that the entitled spoiled whiney selfish and greedy core young players were in open rebellion to Babcock's systems and barely even followed them. To which he responded by lowering their ice times (holding them accountable). It didn't work, I get that. They had to try something else.

Their decision was to put a rookie in as coach who will essentially just do whatever the core want him to do. Worth a try I guess. The core are so talented that letting them pretty much coach the team might work out.

But we've seen that didn't work either. And we should have LONG ago figured that out (like I did years and years ago). The horribly entitled and selfish core should have been broken up long ago and a more" systems coach that stands up to star players should have been put in.

Yes I’m sure guys who want to pad their stats absolutely hate the idea of cherry picking in the neutral zone waiting for a stretch pass. You know those selfish entitled divas, let them coach themselves and they’ll want to abandon the old run and gun and pivot to a cycle offense.

Reactions: Jojalu

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
I think it was 65-35 on the players. Which is why if they do not change the core... they are still the same. This will be the 3rd coach with this core if they stay together.

Look at a guy like Marner, who refused to go to the areas that mattered. So many opportunities to take the puck to the dangerous area, but refused. Cannot win with guys like that. And he isn't the only one, but he is the only one making $11 mil.
The play that pissed me off the most about Marner was when he had the chance to hit the breaks and put the puck into a wide open net and he chose to skate the puck around the net into a group of 3 bruin players. This might be different had he done that.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yes I’m sure guys who want to pad their stats absolutely hate the idea of cherry picking in the neutral zone waiting for a stretch pass. You know those selfish entitled divas, let them coach themselves and they’ll want to abandon the old run and gun and pivot to a cycle offense.
Babcock would bench them. That's why their ice times were so much lower under Babcock than Keefe. Even in the playoffs he'd bench them if they wouldn't play the way he thought would lead to success in the playoffs. Leaf fans all complained about the ice time and threw tantrums. EVeryone here was screaming "PLAY THE STARS!!!!!!" Go look back at how furious leaf fans were about the ice time Babcock was giving the core players. The entitled and selfish core players were clearly frustrated about it. But I guarantee Babcock was 100% certain that they'd have to buy into these systems or they'd never succeed in the playoffs. He was right.

So the Leafs put in a coach who gave the fans and the players precisely what they wanted. And look how well that went...

The reason Babcock didn't succeed was because he couldn't get the players to buy in. That's on him to a degree I suppose. Keefe wasn't able to succeed because he catered to the wants and needs of hte core players and refused to hold them accountable. Hence the (lol) "apologies" after he calls them out.

• Haha
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Wow.

Keefe was the 5th longest serving coach.

23 coaches have been fired since 2022.

Tough gig

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Winning the Tampa series when we shouldn't have was payback for losing the year prior when we should have won.

What are you talking about?

First of all, the Leafs finished a full 13 points ahead of the Bolts, but on top of that, Hedman played the series with his hip all screwed up, Erik Cernak missed most of the series with a conclusion, Brayden Point was playing with broken ribs and Jeannot had a high ankle sprain.

The Lightning were prime for the plucking and the Leafs did the job. How did you arrive at the conclusion that the Leafs shouldn't have won that series?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I agree with firing Keefe, but they should've waited until they already had a legitimate replacement.
It's not like there is much coaching to do for a bit here though... until what... September or something? I think we'll be fine at this point.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
I feel a little bad as he was the only one accepting responsibility for the players choking again. But he should have been gone years ago.

Reactions: TimeZone and Jmo89

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Babcock would bench them. That's why their ice times were so much lower under Babcock than Keefe. Even in the playoffs he'd bench them if they wouldn't play the way he thought would lead to success in the playoffs. Leaf fans all complained about the ice time and threw tantrums. EVeryone here was screaming "PLAY THE STARS!!!!!!" Go look back at how furious leaf fans were about the ice time Babcock was giving the core players. The entitled and selfish core players were clearly frustrated about it. But I guarantee Babcock was 100% certain that they'd have to buy into these systems or they'd never succeed in the playoffs. He was right.

So the Leafs put in a coach who gave the fans and the players precisely what they wanted. And look how well that went...

The reason Babcock didn't succeed was because he couldn't get the players to buy in. That's on him to a degree I suppose. Keefe wasn't able to succeed because he catered to the wants and needs of hte core players and refused to hold them accountable. Hence the (lol) "apologies" after he calls them out.

What systems, be specific.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad