Proposal: Shattenkirk to Pitt

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
D. Pouliot
C. Kunitz
2017 1st

K. Shattenkirk
2017 3rd

It was rumored STL wanted 2 firsts from Boston for Shattenkirk. Maybe blues could get a better deal but the value seems about the same

Shattenkirk signs extension with Pitt 5x7

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
There's no point for the Blues. They should be able to get a 1st from other teams, and Kunitz does nothing for them.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
1) JR is not trading Kunitz

2) We would need to know DEFINITIVELY that Shattenkirk is signing here long term

3) Even getting Shattenkirk might not be worth giving up Pouliot and yet another 1st Round pick. Remember that since 2007 we've selected in the 1st Round only 7 times.

Of those 7 selections, one has busted, and four have been traded away, and now you are talking about trading away a fifth.

4) We would need to have more cap cleared long term. That means Fleury moved as well as Kunitz. Plus we would need to lock up Dumo long term

5) STL could probably get a better package then that.

6) We would undoubtably lose Shattenkirk/Dumo/Maatta to expansion which would make this trade pointless.

I'd love to up our team even more, but it just isn't in the cards. There are too many restrictions for a team to get even better after winning a cup, and there are reasons for that.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Where are the Pens going to get this magic cap space from to have another $7m player on the team?

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
We could ice three lines and two defensive pairings if we gave Shattenkirk an extension like that. The salary cap exists

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

2) We would need to know DEFINITIVELY that Shattenkirk is signing here long term

3) Even getting Shattenkirk might not be worth giving up Pouliot and yet another 1st Round pick. Remember that since 2007 we've selected in the 1st Round only 7 times.

Of those 7 selections, one has busted, and four have been traded away, and now you are talking about trading away a fifth.

4) We would need to have more cap cleared long term. That means Fleury moved as well as Kunitz. Plus we would need to lock up Dumo long term

6) We would undoubtably lose Shattenkirk/Dumo/Maatta to expansion which would make this trade pointless.

I'd love to up our team even more, but it just isn't in the cards. There are too many restrictions for a team to get even better after winning a cup, and there are reasons for that.

Wow, yeah you kind of said it all there.

At this point, with MAF and Kunitz still on the roster (along with their combined 9m in salary) I am just gonna assume they aren't moving and, therefore, the Pens aren't making any significant moves this summer.

I'd love to be proven wrong and see JR do something inventive if he can get a little salary breathing room, but a run at Shatty is just asking too much of this team. Especially when you consider what it would take to trade for him now.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Pens just can't do this deal and Blues wouldn't. My two favorite teams the only deal I ever thought kind of made sense was Petro for Geno, not straight up but after Pens won the cup again they shown that do not need a Petro like dman

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
We could ice three lines and two defensive pairings if we gave Shattenkirk an extension like that. The salary cap exists

In this particular deal, the salary of Kunitz and Pouliot will be even with Shattenkirk so we easily fit him under the cap for next season. Then it is widely agreed that fleury is gone either by trade or expansion draft, giving us an extra 5 mill to extend him. It is not out of reach

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
In a world where the Blues make this type of deal at the deadline.

When protecting players for the expansion draft.

We could sign him right away and go 4x4
Including Dumo in the protection.
Have Crosby kessel Malkin + 1 forward (honestly after those 3 who does an expansion team want)

Or we could go 7x3 not sign Shattenkirk till after
And protect 7 forwards

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Lets ignore the cap:
Why does PIT need Shattenkirk? IIRC, their D was able to handle just about every team (outside of WSH) handily during the playoffs.

We lost Lovejoy and he will most likely be replaced by D. Pouliott, but that does force another D to play on their off side. I don't see the need to reach for a long term + high priced D to replace someone in our top 4.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
D. Pouliot
C. Kunitz
2017 1st

K. Shattenkirk
2017 3rd

It was rumored STL wanted 2 firsts from Boston for Shattenkirk. Maybe blues could get a better deal but the value seems about the same

Shattenkirk signs extension with Pitt 5x7

Why?! PIT has Daley playing #2RD. No need to move all of that for someone who we can't afford to sign and has 1 year on his contract. That and I doubt STL would accept that offer.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I would protect letang Shattenkirk Maatta. Dumoulin is good but rather have those 3. Plus there's no guarantee he gets taken

If Dumoulin isn't protected, I'd guarantee he gets selected. 6-4 D who are 23 yrs old, can skate, handle the puck and play 23 minutes a night against the other teams top competition are things every team wants.

Shattenkirk is going to want 6-7m a year. Why would we pay that? Dumoulin on the other hand will cost less than 4.25m. Considering what he can do, and how week our forward group is spending that on him and using the rest up front makes a LOT more sense.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
As a Flames fan I would like take a crack at him I am not sure the type of player that the Blues want but I would give a conditional 2nd rounder 2017 will be moved to 1st if we make the confeence final and wideman.

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
As a Flames fan I would like take a crack at him I am not sure the type of player that the Blues want but I would give a conditional 2nd rounder 2017 will be moved to 1st if we make the confeence final and wideman.

Hahahhahaha

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I would protect letang Shattenkirk Maatta. Dumoulin is good but rather have those 3. Plus there's no guarantee he gets taken

Then we would have three D men making around a combined 18 million. With 25 million on our three star forwards, it would become completely impossible to Ice a D corps with any depth at all.

We need to keep guys like Dumo and Pouliot because they make a balanced roster possible. Dumo especially. He proved last year he could hack it in the NHL and he made an excellent pair with Daley. It seems like we have finally struck a balance of youth and stars on the roster, no sense in making it more top heavy now.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Where are the Pens going to get this magic cap space from to have another $7m player on the team?

Lets ignore the cap:
Why does PIT need Shattenkirk? IIRC, their D was able to handle just about every team (outside of WSH) handily during the playoffs.

We lost Lovejoy and he will most likely be replaced by D. Pouliott, but that does force another D to play on their off side. I don't see the need to reach for a long term + high priced D to replace someone in our top 4.

Shattenkirk makes 500k more than Kunitz. His 3.85m + Dupuis' 3.75m - 1m over the cap currently accounts for about 6.5m. You can also add in Daley's 3.3m next season since you won't need him anymore with Shattenkirk.

You can also add in Fleury's 5.75m because all things point to him being traded.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
It will be interesting what Shattenkirk returns.

If he is able to negotiate and agree to a contract extension prior to the trade being executed then the Blues will get a decent return... thinking a pretty good prospect (Expansion Draft exempt) + high pick (late first, very early second).

If not, I see them keeping him for a Cup run rather than trading him at the TDL for a late first.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
The deal will be Shattenkirk for Fleury around December when the Blues' goaltending falls through.

Bet me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad