Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
I still think we aren't that many moves away from being really good again. Our D is great, Jones I expect will have a better season than last year, we just need to find a way to add to our forwards without gutting our depth. We need someone who can pick up the loss of Marleau's goals and we need a long term replacement for Jumbo. Easier said than done but certainly not impossible. DW needs to get to work.

I agree completely but most of the proposals people throw around here are outlandish or desperate, like offer sheeting Draisaitl

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I agree completely but most of the proposals people throw around here are outlandish or desperate, like offer sheeting Draisaitl

That's because we only know what is openly out there, obvious stuff like Drai needs a new contract and the Oilers needs to sign McJesus, and players who are rumored on the trade block, IE Duchene. We have no idea who is really available and what they might cost. It's very possible we see the Sharks trading for someone nobody was talking about.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I think that's a terrible idea. I'd prefer Duchene or Galchenyuk to Draisaitl given the relative cost. I think Galchenyuk should be the main target anyway.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I still think we aren't that many moves away from being really good again. Our D is great, Jones I expect will have a better season than last year, we just need to find a way to add to our forwards without gutting our depth. We need someone who can pick up the loss of Marleau's goals and we need a long term replacement for Jumbo. Easier said than done but certainly not impossible. DW needs to get to work.

I am cautiously optimistic but like I mentioned in one of my previous posts we need a lot to go right for have a real shot at a good playoff run:

- Boedker bouncing back. I know many people hate Boedker's contract but I still think he can be good for 40 or so points a year. If he can hit that mark, I think it will be a good boost in team offense.
- Meier taking the next step. Like others have said, this comes down to where he will play. If given a chance in the top-6, he could definitely be good for 15-15 or even better.
- Thornton bouncing back. Should not be too hard if he recovers from injury. I expect him to do better than his career worst last year and be good for 60-65 points.
- Heed making up for the loss of Schlemko's departure. This is tricky because I expect DeMelo to start over Heed and that leaves our D with only 1 offensive D-man.
- Braun being better than last year. Vlasic-Braun gets the toughest matchups and I think Braun's playstyle is not complimentary to Vlasic. I don't expect this to change much if they are still a pairing.
- Ward? No idea what happens with him. I think he should not be played at all but I am sure he will be squeezed in the bottom-6 somehow.
- Jones being better. I think he had an average year last year and will be better.

If we could upgrade our roster by making sure that we start Dillon-Heed (gives us another PMD) and can make a move for a top-6 Winger, I think we can have a turnaround year.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I am cautiously optimistic but like I mentioned in one of my previous posts we need a lot to go right for have a real shot at a good playoff run:

- Boedker bouncing back. I know many people hate Boedker's contract but I still think he can be good for 40 or so points a year. If he can hit that mark, I think it will be a good boost in team offense.
- Meier taking the next step. Like others have said, this comes down to where he will play. If given a chance in the top-6, he could definitely be good for 15-15 or even better.
- Thornton bouncing back. Should not be too hard if he recovers from injury. I expect him to do better than his career worst last year and be good for 60-65 points.
- Heed making up for the loss of Schlemko's departure. This is tricky because I expect DeMelo to start over Heed and that leaves our D with only 1 offensive D-man.
- Braun being better than last year. Vlasic-Braun gets the toughest matchups and I think Braun's playstyle is not complimentary to Vlasic. I don't expect this to change much if they are still a pairing.
- Ward? No idea what happens with him. I think he should not be played at all but I am sure he will be squeezed in the bottom-6 somehow.
- Jones being better. I think he had an average year last year and will be better.

If we could upgrade our roster by making sure that we start Dillon-Heed (gives us another PMD) and can make a move for a top-6 Winger, I think we can have a turnaround year.

We need to add forwards.

But throw in hertl Who really needs to bounce back to when he had a sub 50. Season. I really like to see him crack 50 plus points this year with 20+ Goals

I think donskoi is gonna be much better I have large expectations for him this year now that he's healthy. Once again though lots of possibilities too many?'s. We need some things that we know will happen so we need to add at least a forward if not two. Someone proven

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

We need to add forwards.

But throw in hertl Who really needs to bounce back to when he had a sub 50. Season. I really like to see him crack 50 plus points this year with 20+ Goals

I think donskoi is gonna be much better I have large expectations for him this year now that he's healthy. Once again though lots of possibilities too many?'s. We need some things that we know will happen so we need to add at least a forward if not two. Someone proven

Just to add a couple thoughts to this. Hertl should take Marleau's spot on the top power play. He's better in front of the net than Marleau was, and he's way better at puck retrieval. He also needs to be attached at the hip to Couture, much like Marleau used to be. Couture could use the help on face offs and in possession. The top 6 really should be Joe, Pavs, Couture, Hertl and Donskoi with the 6th spot up for grabs between Labanc, Meier, or a free agent/trade acquisition. Boedker, Karlsson, Hansen, Ward, Carpenter and Tierney all need to remain in the bottom 6. I'd really prefer to move Tierney altogether because I think Carpenter is the better option at 4C and Tierney doesn't seem to be able to handle 3C. I think the positions that should be targeted again are the third line center position or a top 6 winger. If you can get both, then great. Hertl can't be dropped out of the top 6, he's too effective to be getting fewer minutes than Couture.

As for the defense, I think that Heed should have the leg up on Demelo if for no other reason than the Sharks need a 2nd unit power play QB. I don't think Demelo does anything significantly better than Heed, if at all, and Heed is clearly more offensive and better on the power play.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Really we need to trade Ward to the Caps with retention. Get out of them one of their D prospects or something.

Ward at 50% for Hobbs/Bowey

We have so many top 9 forwards and Washington has so few. We have cap space, they don't. We should be taking advantage of this somehow.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Really we need to trade Ward to the Caps with retention. Get out of them one of their D prospects or something.

Ward at 50% for Hobbs/Bowey

We have so many top 9 forwards and Washington has so few. We have cap space, they don't. We should be taking advantage of this somehow.

If we can take on any 1 year contracts from a team and get assets in return, we should totally do it. Even if it is for a good future prospect. Hell, we can buy out Ward for this year and take some more salary on too. Target any teams with a bad cap situation and 1 year contracts to eat.

When was the last time we went into a season with 10M cap available anyway?

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
My idea of something that seems plausible(I'd love Duchene or Galchenyuk but I doubt it.)

Dump Ward
Sign Kovy
Trade for Neal

Neal-Jumbo-Pavs
Kovy-Couture-Donskoi
Hansen-Hertl-Beodker
Meier-Tierney-Melker

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
I am fairly certain DW's plan is for Timo and Lebanc to step into a bigger role. IMO that's not what we should plan on. At those stage we need them to develop properly in order to facilitate them reaching their ceiling. Regardless of whether they do, there certainly needs to be a better plan than hoping the kids take a big step forward.

Gilligans Island

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
If we can take on any 1 year contracts from a team and get assets in return, we should totally do it. Even if it is for a good future prospect. Hell, we can buy out Ward for this year and take some more salary on too. Target any teams with a bad cap situation and 1 year contracts to eat.

Haven't looked at all teams that closely but JvR fits this bill the best? Trade Ryan or Roy + 2nd for him?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I am fairly certain DW's plan is for Timo and Lebanc to step into a bigger role. IMO that's not what we should plan on. At those stage we need them to develop properly in order to facilitate them reaching their ceiling. Regardless of whether they do, there certainly needs to be a better plan than hoping the kids take a big step forward.

I suspect that is what the plan is. I'm fine with Labanc in a top-6 role, but think that Meier really should stay in the AHL.

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Exactly. Call this next year a mini-rebuild. Compete and let the young kids come up and try to turn into actual top 6 players like they're supposed to, but on the side take on bad contracts to help out a couple teams for some new prospects.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
How about signing Jussi Jokinen or Vanek if we are not getting a top 6 forward via trade. Jokinen I think could be quite good. He did get 60-points during 2015-2016 season and I think he could play well with Couture. Vanek also scored by nice rate last year so I wouldn't be opposed signing him if cap is low.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
How about signing Jussi Jokinen or Vanek if we are not getting a top 6 forward via trade. Jokinen I think could be quite good. He did get 60-points during 2015-2016 season and I think he could play well with Couture. Vanek also scored by nice rate last year so I wouldn't be opposed signing him if cap is low.

Jokinen I'd be ok with. Vanek is slow, but I mean, whatever.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I'd take Jokinen over Vanek. Vanek would have to be sheltered big time.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
I suspect that is what the plan is. I'm fine with Labanc in a top-6 role, but think that Meier really should stay in the AHL.

Frankly I would rather they both stay in the AHL until they are at a point where it's clear it will no longer do them any good. We need to squeeze as much as possible out of them if we want any continuity. I doubt that happens and I really hope they can take the reigns, but that's probably a overestimation.

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Johansson for a 2nd and 3rd would have been a great add

Could have gotten Johansson and Orpik for Dillon and Ward. Would have saved them like 4 million in cap space and still have warm bodies. Would have given us a top 6 young forward, and who cares if we're spending a lot on Orpik. He's just there to mentor the RD coming up from the Cuda.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Exactly. Call this next year a mini-rebuild. Compete and let the young kids come up and try to turn into actual top 6 players like they're supposed to, but on the side take on bad contracts to help out a couple teams for some new prospects.

I'd rather not waste possibly the last year Thornton and one year of Paveski, Couture, and Burns again. I'd even let Meier have a full year in the AHL if we could. Either rebuild (not happening anymore with Thornton and the other extensions), or try and trade for solid pieces to help compete for the Cup.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I'd rather not waste possibly the last year Thornton and one year of Paveski, Couture, and Burns again. I'd even let Meier have a full year in the AHL if we could. Either rebuild (not happening anymore with Thornton and the other extensions), or try and trade for solid pieces to help compete for the Cup.

I agree. Rebuilding isn't an option now. Sharks need to add a top 6 forward at the very least. I expect DW to acquire one via trade, hopefully without losing an important player in the process.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I agree. Rebuilding isn't an option now. Sharks need to add a top 6 forward at the very least. I expect DW to acquire one via trade, hopefully without losing an important player in the process.

I think a top 6 forward would basically be all we need to have a good forward lineup. I think Meier bounces back after his mono setback and Labanc should be able to play in the top 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad