Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I do think we need to make a move for a scorer. The kids are doing great but itd be a disaster to rely on them in their first seasons.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I do think we need to make a move for a scorer. The kids are doing great but itd be a disaster to rely on them in their first seasons.

Agreed.

I'm beating a dead horse, but kids... Ryan Strome.

Another slightly dead horse, but I've been after Cam Atkinson for years and now look what he's doing.

And yet anther slightly dead horse, but I really wish we'd been aggressive about Anders Lee when it looked like the Isles might leave him exposed for the expansion draft. Now he's playing too well, but he's a power forward a lot like Hertl and would be perfect for either of Thornton or Couture.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Agreed.

I'd love Strome too but do the Isles have any interest in moving him? I'd guess that many teams would be interested if the Isles were selling low.

I like Anders Lee too. Oh well.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Isles seem down on him.

If we move on tierney hes who id target

I'd rather have Strome than Tierney but it would depend on what it would cost. Maybe the Isles will trade him before he declines more. Tough to guess what they'll do since I don't think anyone expected them to be this bad this season. They need to do something.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Agreed.

Another slightly dead horse, but I've been after Cam Atkinson for years and now look what he's doing.

And yet anther slightly dead horse, but I really wish we'd been aggressive about Anders Lee when it looked like the Isles might leave him exposed for the expansion draft. Now he's playing too well, but he's a power forward a lot like Hertl and would be perfect for either of Thornton or Couture.
Strome has not been good last couple years. But if we could get him with quite low price I would be interested. But Isles probably would ask too much anyway.

But I agree that getting scoring forward would be sweet but there isn't much available at least not with reasonable price. Like we all know Duchene and Landeskog are available but the price is definitely too high (And then DW will make his move and get Duchene for Dillon, Wingels and 1st and we all hail DW for getting elite player with relatively low price).

I would probably go after Vanek at TDL if Detroit will miss the playoffs. He would be pretty cheap and Vanek has been good this season. Another one would be Vrbata. But I wouldn't pay much. I probably wouldn't try to get Hanzal because he would be too expensive and he is center and definitely not fourth line center. Of course getting Hanzal as our 3C and move Hertl with Joes could be a good plan but dunno about that. Hanzal has been injured quite often.

I am not sure that I would do it but if Sedins would liket to move to a contender during TDL and Nucks would retain half I think I would go all in this season and go and get them. Dillon+Ward+Tierney+1st+something quite valuable. Of course it is doubtful that Nucks would do that but

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Sedin-Sedin-Marleau
Meier/Labanc-Couture-Donskoi
Karlsson-Wingels-Boedker

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Schlemko-Heed/DeMelo

That would be something else. Like I said it is doubtful that Nucks would trade them for a price we could pay but this is just too fun to imagine. And I like Sedins and what would be cooler than winning cup with Sedins who also deserve to win one before they retire.

But I would like to see DW getting some scoring help on our team. Preferably younger player but I would not be against rentals if they fit our needs well and DW wouldn't overpay like he did last year with Polak.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Strome has not been good last couple years. But if we could get him with quite low price I would be interested. But Isles probably would ask too much anyway.

I think they'll probably ask too much as well. Look what the rumors around Hamonic were. Granted, they seem to be down on Strome so maybe they'd sell low but if their rumored asks for Hamonic were what they consider fair, what they consider "low" may also be too expensive.

I am not sure that I would do it but if Sedins would liket to move to a contender during TDL and Nucks would retain half I think I would go all in this season and go and get them. Dillon+Ward+Tierney+1st+something quite valuable. Of course it is doubtful that Nucks would do that but

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Sedin-Sedin-Marleau
Meier/Labanc-Couture-Donskoi
Karlsson-Wingels-Boedker

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Schlemko-Heed/DeMelo

That would be something else. Like I said it is doubtful that Nucks would trade them for a price we could pay but this is just too fun to imagine. And I like Sedins and what would be cooler than winning cup with Sedins who also deserve to win one before they retire.

I agree about Vanek and Hanzel. I think Hanzel would be good if he's cheap but the Coyote fans here seem to want a lot for him and he is injured frequently.

I'd also like to get the Sedins but I don't think it's likely to work out. If Vancouver trades the Sedins, they'll want prospects and picks and I'm not sure what we could offer that would be enough (esp if they retain or take back big cap dumps, which they'd need to do). It is fun to think about the Sedins and the Joes (plus Patty, since ppl used to compare Joe and Patty to Henrik and Daniel) winning the cup together.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I'd also like to get the Sedins but I don't think it's likely to work out. If Vancouver trades the Sedins, they'll want prospects and picks and I'm not sure what we could offer that would be enough (esp if they retain or take back big cap dumps, which they'd need to do). It is fun to think about the Sedins and the Joes (plus Patty, since ppl used to compare Joe and Patty to Henrik and Daniel) winning the cup together.

I doubt Vancouver trades the Sedins. Ownership wants playoffs, and their management has said enough to make me think they are not going to trade them. Also, if for whatever reason Benning does manage to get them to waive their NTC, he is not a very good negotiator and there is no telling what he would want.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I doubt Vancouver trades the Sedins. Ownership wants playoffs, and their management has said enough to make me think they are not going to trade them. Also, if for whatever reason Benning does manage to get them to waive their NTC, he is not a very good negotiator and there is no telling what he would want.

Yeah, I agree. I think the Aquilinis still want the Canucks to make the playoffs. They aren't ready to rebuild yet.

That's a good point about Benning not being a good negotiator. If the Aquilinis wanted to rebuild (or if the Sedins wanted to be traded - I don't think that they do to be clear), we might be able to get them very cheaply if DW were in the right place at the right time or if the Sedins wanted to come to SJ.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I would've been down for Atkinson but he's definitely one of those guys I don't think Columbus ever had any interest in parting with.

I don't feel too strongly about Strome but he's a weird spot value wise as a former top 5 pick while also underperforming. So we know he's got talent but it's going on and on that it might not end up translating. Can't put all the blame on Capuano even though he does suck. He could be a really good value trade or you just ended up giving up a lot for nothing.

I like Lee though.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I want nothing to do with Vanek. Speed is what wins games and Vanek is slower than he already was before.

Vanek is trash, agreed there. Cammy would be a good add I believe. I think we should take a look at Nyquist or Tatar out of Detroit.

I bet Strome wouldn't be that expensive. I mean, Snow would probably posture at first but I think if you made him a decent offer he'd take it.

I'd love the Sedins but Jwec's offer is trash.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Agreed.

Agreed on Strome. Atkinson has always been good and probably always had a high price tag.

The more I think about it, the Sharks need to go after Duchene. Hard. He's not only the answer this season, but he is the answer post-Thornton. The Sharks could absolutely win a cup with Duchene-Burns-Jones as their core. They'd extend the window for another 6+ seasons (depending on Burns's health). Duchene is not the uber-caliber franchise player like Thornton, Crosby, Kopitar, Toews, etc. are, but he is the in the tier right next to it (the Seguins, Sedins) and probably has some room to improve on the defensive side of the puck.

Last edited:

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Just my opinion but the feel-good story of Meir being with the big club is over at this point. He needs to go down to the Cuda and continue developing his game. Please replace Haley and Wingels.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Just my opinion but the feel-good story of Meir being with the big club is over at this point. He needs to go down to the Cuda and continue developing his game. Please replace Haley and Wingels.

definitely send him down over 4th line. 3rd through 1st he can stay.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Vanek is trash, agreed there. Cammy would be a good add I believe. I think we should take a look at Nyquist or Tatar out of Detroit.

I bet Strome wouldn't be that expensive. I mean, Snow would probably posture at first but I think if you made him a decent offer he'd take it.

I'd love the Sedins but Jwec's offer is trash.

Of course my offer was trash because it was just made for an example. I bet Nucks would definitely not trade Sedins for that. Would need way more. It was not meant to be an offer. I used it just an example:)

And Cammaleri would be perfect. Good skilled skater who could play well with Couture or Hertl. And I think Detroit wouldn't trade Nyquist or Tatar if there isn't good offer and probably we wouldn't offer anything they would be interested in. And Vanek has been good. 29-points in 32 games but don't know if he would fit on our system. But if he could be had cheaply I would try if there isn't anything better.

And we all know you would love to have Strome but to be honest I think Snow sees his potential and is not going to trade him cheaply. And he has no reason to trade him because he is young and Isles are not going to contend for a couple of years at least and Strome could be valuable piece of their future.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Agreed on Strome. Atkinson has always been good and probably always had a high price tag.

The more I think about it, the Sharks need to go after Duchene. Hard. He's not only the answer this season, but he is the answer post-Thornton. The Sharks could absolutely win a cup with Duchene-Burns-Jones as their core. They'd extend the window for another 6+ seasons (depending on Burns's health). Duchene is not the uber-caliber franchise player like Thornton, Crosby, Kopitar, Toews, etc. are, but he is the in the tier right next to it (the Seguins, Sedins) and probably has some room to improve on the defensive side of the puck.
I also think we should go after Duchene. Only players I would keep untouchables for Duchene would be Pavs, Couture, Vlasic Burns and possbily Hertl. Everything else would be on the table.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

I wouldn't mind Meier going back down to work on his game a bit more. Goldobin has the hot hand right now and I think he deserves a shot on the big club.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I also think we should go after Duchene. Only players I would keep untouchables for Duchene would be Pavs, Couture, Vlasic Burns and possbily Hertl. Everything else would be on the table.

If we won't part with any of those, it's likely we won't have the pieces to entice them to trade Duchene.

I have this crazy scenario running through my head of trading Couture + Karlsson for Lee/Henrique + 1st, then sending the isles/devils 1st with our first , Dillon Wingels and prospects for Duchene.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

I think out of that group, the only one Colorado would be interested in is Hertl. The rest are "too old".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad