Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
No, he's still shooting from everywhere even on the top line. I believe there was a sequence in the Calgary game where he recovered the puck from a scrum on the left side half wall (almost near the point) and just immediately spun around and threw it to the net. He had a similar play, albeit at least closer to the net, against Detroit too. That's just his game.

Couture has been dreadful defensively this season. Way worse than ever before. Sub-40% faceoff percentage and the worst relative Corsi% on the team outside of Labanc, Tierney, Haley and Wingels.

Hesreally not. He may have done it here or there but hes playing very well up there.

As far as couture. More hyperbole. Not to mention hes third in p/60 and has a positive diff. Playing with a rookie, a sophomore player and ward who has been 4th liner level.

His corsi rel is one effing stat. Its not helping that about half of his 5v5 time has been with labanc who makes everyone he play with see more shots against.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
So now you want to use CorsiRel when Couture is brought up but you completely brushed it off when I brought it up for Meier.

Ok...

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Hanzal is a great faceoff guy right? So that'd be good. But isn't he playing as a 1C now? Considering his numbers, he might be another Boedker with inflated numbers. And injury prone right?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Rumors that the Sharks might be interested in Hanzal.

http://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-chayka-has-held-steadfast-in-coyotes-price-for-hanzal/

http://www.thescore.com/news/1207412

The Yotes apparently want a young center who can plan in the nhl right now. Would DW consider it as an upgrade on Tierney? Hanzal's caphit is 3.1m, they'd have to retain or we'd have to make room, maybe Wingles. Not necessarily advocating this, just reporting and trying to make sense of the rumor.

I'd be okey dokey with a Hanzal for Tierney deal. With a non 1st round pick or whatever.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I'm pretty sure somebody posted a heat chart for Meier's shot locations and they're largely in the slot. I dunno if Meier "deserves" to be on the 1st line but he's been a good fit there for the last couple weeks.

edit: turns out it was on ftf. http://www.fearthefin.com/2017/1/9/14208952/analysis-timo-meier-shoots-the-puck-a-lot

a bunch of shots from far out, even more in the slot

Here's another visualization of Meier's shots. This only includes unblocked shots:

shotLoc-1617-meierti96.png

Most of his shots are from close to the net and generally in front of the net.

Here's the Sharks shots with Timo on the ice

meierti96

Most are close though there are more from the sides than you'd ideally want. Still, most are in the circles or in front of the net.

And without Timo:

meierti96

Mostly in front of the net and near the points.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Here are two more visualizations that show a problem with Timo. The first is shots against the Sharks when Timo is on the ice:

meierti96

Lots of shots (relative to NHL average) from in front of the goal, though some are from outside the blue line. (goal at bottom of this one, blue line 64 ft. distance). Fewer shots close in and right in front of the goal, though, so that's good.

This is without Timo:

meierti96

Fewer shots when Timo's off the ice, though he is better at not allowing shots in front of and close to the goal.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So Meier's basically trading scoring chances right now. Looking at the game log, he's been a lot better at giving than receiving since he went up to the 1st line.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
So Meier's basically trading scoring chances right now. Looking at the game log, he's been a lot better at giving than receiving since he went up to the 1st line.

Yes. Much more so than Burns if you look at his charts. Glad to hear that Timo's better on the first line.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I honestly have no idea why some of y'all want Hanzal in the same way I also had no idea why some people wanted Boedker. :dunno:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I honestly have no idea why some of y'all want Hanzal in the same way I also had no idea why some people wanted Boedker. :dunno:

He's an established NHLer who's played some decent hockey in his career like Boedker. Would he be an upgrade on the Sharks or even a needed player? Probably not. But even NHL pundits consider him a commodity, so, people are going off that.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
We are fine at center. We need a power-forward in the mold of Tomas Hertl for the Joe's. Without that, Marleau likely slots in there the best. We overload 2,3,4, however at the expense of an under performing 1st. With 8 waivers-required defensemen now on the roster, I think it's fair to expect at least one of them to go at or before the deadline. Mueller has shown a capable bottom-pairing replacement, should be be required. Braun, especially, is terribad without Vlasic and Dillion equally so without Schlemko. If either of those two pieces could be converted into a top-6 winger, I would consider it a huge victory for the team. All signs point to DW trying, but as of yet the trade market is still over inflated. Without that though, I think our ideal roster looks something like:

Hertl - Jumbo - Pavs
Timo - Couture - Labanc
Boedker - Marleau - Donskoi
Ward - Tierney - Karlsson

No way Hertl is 3C without a trade. That first line is simply lagging this year, and he is probably the best bet we have for getting them clicking again.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
We are fine at center. We need a power-forward in the mold of Tomas Hertl for the Joe's. Without that, Marleau likely slots in there the best. We overload 2,3,4, however at the expense of an under performing 1st. With 8 waivers-required defensemen now on the roster, I think it's fair to expect at least one of them to go at or before the deadline. Mueller has shown a capable bottom-pairing replacement, should be be required. Braun, especially, is terribad without Vlasic and Dillion equally so without Schlemko. If either of those two pieces could be converted into a top-6 winger, I would consider it a huge victory for the team. All signs point to DW trying, but as of yet the trade market is still over inflated. Without that though, I think our ideal roster looks something like:

Hertl - Jumbo - Pavs
Timo - Couture - Labanc
Boedker - Marleau - Donskoi
Ward - Tierney - Karlsson

No way Hertl is 3C without a trade. That first line is simply lagging this year, and he is probably the best bet we have for getting them clicking again.

Man. That's a great point. Both dillon and braun are just nothing on their owne

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I must side somewhat with Sideshow on the issue of Meier, in that people on this board are frequently belly aching about the Sharks needing to give prospects a chance. We heard it this year, the year before, and going all the way back to 2006.

But then, you can't say at the same time it is going to take 15+ games for a rookie to get settled in. Competing teams need to prioritize winning over developing prospects. Those couple-numerous games of a prospect being unsteady come at a cost. That's why it is so hard for prospects to crack the NHL; they have to not be liabilities almost immediately.

That is where I disagree with Sideshow. The points have not come for Meier, and that is disappointing, but he is solid defensively and is putting up some very good possession numbers. He is not a liability out there; let us not forget that JT-Pavelski in general have been a little plugged up lately.

Labanc on the other hand, while he is probably contributing on a net positive level, he is making defensive mistakes. He is overly aggressive offensively; that leads to some good offensive looks but has obvious downsides. The best teams in the playoffs will feast on Labanc's carelessness with the puck.

Again, it isn't that Labanc is showing poor awareness and positioning in the d-zone, it is that he is too biased towards the offensive side of the puck.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
If we don't make the playoffs it won't be because of a rookie or two. Just give them a fair shake, and if they aren't ready then send them down.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I dont disagree that Goldobin deserves a shot. I disagree that meier has been a disappointment.

His play eith the joes is in stark contrast to tierney. If hes back with tierney i hope he takes his play from the joes there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad