Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
With a player like Duchene, even with little assets; as a GM you make it known you're interested. He'd be an amazing addition, it's just that a top-4 D (Braun) + a blue chip prospect is going the other way to even start.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If I'm remembering correctly, it's unfair to single out Winnik. It was a group picture and (Couture's) girlfriend was just next to Winnik among the others. I don't think there were any locker-room issues, just him being frustrated with Woodcroft's dumb systems.
I think any "locker-room issues" were fabricated after he left Anaheim, though like PF said, it could just as easily be him being hard to sign.

The other guys I remember where Murray and Clowe. Probably just a coincidence, but they were gone 20 games into the next season.

For me, when good players like Winnik, Versteeg, Parenteau, Stempniak keep bouncing around the league, I feel like there has to be something up. Every season signing those type of guys are always "steals", and yet their teams never re-sign them.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
For me, when good players like Winnik, Versteeg, Parenteau, Stempniak keep bouncing around the league, I feel like there has to be something up. Every season signing those type of guys are always "steals", and yet their teams never re-sign them.

I think in Stempniak's case its usually because he gets traded as a rental somewhere, and then he ends up being unimpressive in the playoffs, or the team has cap issues, or in the case last year, the Bruins missed the playoffs. It's Dominic Moore syndrome so to speak.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think in Stempniak's case its usually because he gets traded as a rental somewhere, and then he ends up being unimpressive in the playoffs, or the team has cap issues, or in the case last year, the Bruins missed the playoffs. It's Dominic Moore syndrome so to speak.

Could be. And I'm not trying to insinuate anything concrete, so don't go making a mountain out of the random idle speculation of some moron on a computer like last time.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I do think we should be going for a significant add.

Landy. Duchene. Cammaleri etc. Just unquestioned ES producers. Not some. Wellllll maybs on the sharks?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Does anyone even bother to factor in salary in this Duchene fantasy?? Trade the farm for a guy who has 2 more years at 6 mil $. Whats he going to want on his next deal? 7+ would be a starting point. Pavs and Couture will both need deals at the same time as Duchene. Couture a raise and Pavs probably gets 6mil again unless he falls off the zamboni..
Landeskog on the other hand is signed for 4 more years at 5.75mil and a year younger.. I think I'd go after him. No reason he couldnt be a 30/30 player on this team. And he has better playoff numbers than Duchene :naughty:

Duchene has scored 30 goals 1 time in his 8yrs in the NHL.. Doesn't seem like he's someone I'd invest the kind of booty some of you are throwing out there.

That is a problem the Sharks will eventually have to fix. Top-end, franchise-caliber forwards do not come cheaply. Thornton is an aberration; most of them will want 8+ million. To be frank, the fact that every player seems to take a bit of a discount with the Sharks makes me optimistic that Duchene would do the same. But if you want top-end talent, it comes with a high-end price tag.

Understand that Duchene would instantly be the 2nd best forward on the team, and 3rd best player on the Sharks. If Thornton's bout of poor play is more permanent, he'd go up by one.

As Dean Lombardi used to say, it isn't overpaying when you consider that without a certain asset, you cannot win a cup.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That is a problem the Sharks will eventually have to fix. Top-end, franchise-caliber forwards do not come cheaply. Thornton is an aberration; most of them will want 8+ million. To be frank, the fact that every player seems to take a bit of a discount with the Sharks makes me optimistic that Duchene would do the same. But if you want top-end talent, it comes with a high-end price tag.

Understand that Duchene would instantly be the 2nd best forward on the team, and 3rd best player on the Sharks. If Thornton's bout of poor play is more permanent, he'd go up by one.

As Dean Lombardi used to say, it isn't overpaying when you consider that without a certain asset, you cannot win a cup.

Bingo. If the Kings hadn't acquired Jeff Carter mid-season in 2012, not only would they have never won a Cup, but they'd be irrelevant right now. They traded Brayden Schenn, who was considered the best prospect in hockey (legitimately), and a promising young power-forward in Wayne Simmonds.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Bingo. If the Kings hadn't acquired Jeff Carter mid-season in 2012, not only would they have never won a Cup, but they'd be irrelevant right now. They traded Brayden Schenn, who was considered the best prospect in hockey (legitimately), and a promising young power-forward in Wayne Simmonds.

Carter didn't get traded for Simmonds and Schenn. In the long run the Richards trade was brutal, but they won the Cup twice, so you could say it was worth it. But if they kept Simmonds and Schenn, Jack Johnson and their 2013 1st rounder (which could have gotten them Mark Dano) i'd hardly say they'd be irrelevant.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Carter didn't get traded for Simmonds and Schenn. In the long run the Richards trade was brutal, but they won the Cup twice, so you could say it was worth it. But if they kept Simmonds and Schenn, Jack Johnson and their 2013 1st rounder (which could have gotten them Mark Dano) i'd hardly say they'd be irrelevant.

Ah, right. I mixed up Carter and Richards. But the overall point still stands: the Kings don't win a Cup if they hadn't given up a huge package of youth for an established (at the time) star.

**** Shane Doan. Do not want him at all.

This is also my opinion. What can Doan do that's Ward can't?

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
With everyone healthy, we honestly just have too many forwards to add Doan.

28-19-8
27-39-62
12-48-42
89-50-68

If Boedker continues to play well, we could even run two 3rd lines basically with our current 3rd line of 12-50-42 and 89-48-68. It's gonna be pretty sexy when Hertl comes back if Boedker plays well.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
So if Demelo, Schlemko and possibly Martin are all injured, does that mean it's finally time to call up Joakim Ryan??

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
New crazy trade/expansion draft protection scheme:

Couture + Dillon + 1st for OEL + Hanzal

At the expansion draft, protect OEL, Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Sclemko, Pavelski, Hertl, Mueller and of course, Jones. (Leaving Tierney, Ward, Martin or Boedkker as likely draftees). Our line up this season looks like:

Marleau Thornton Meier
Donskoi Hertl Pavs
Boedkker Hanzal Labanc
Ward Tierney Karlsson
Wingels Haley

Martin Burns
OEL Braun
Vlasic - Schlemko
Demelo

Jones
Dell

With Goldobin and Mueller likely in next years line up