Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I wouldn't move Meier for Landeskog. I'd think about moving Hertl for Duchene. Seems right to me. Duchene is a game-breaking talent, Landeskog is a nice piece. Duchene can score no matter who he plays with.

Would you rather take Landeskog on the cheap or pay a hefty price for Duchene?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Would you rather take Landeskog on the cheap or pay a hefty price for Duchene?

Honestly depends on the price. I'm looking for a fair deal (or an underpayment if I can help it :laugh:). If I were offered a deal I found fair for Duchene and one I found fair for Landeskog, I'd take the fair deal for Duchene. I just think he's a bigger impact player and in the interest of winning the Stanley Cup, it would be better to acquire Duchene.

Here's another take, though. If I could get Landeskog without taking any major pieces off of our current roster (aka keeping Hertl, Meier, and Labanc, moving Goldobin/O'Regan/picks/Mueller/Roy/less important roster players), then I'd prefer that to trading an impact player like Meier for Duchene.

All I want to do is improve the team as much as possible right now.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Not going to get Landy " On the cheap"

Oh I know, I was just curious about Jux's valuation of the two guys. I think DW has more interest in Landeskog, but I think if he can get Duchene instead without paying an exorbitant cost, he might shift his focus.

If DW would have gotten a 6th for Nieto, we could have gone for both

My brother had this crazy idea that DW called Sakic, asked him if he wanted Nieto, and then agreed to waive him instead of commanding something in trade. Thereby creating some goodwill or something that would help in trade negotiations for other players.

Last edited:

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
My brother had this crazy idea that DW called Sakic, asked him if he wanted Nieto, and then agreed to waive him instead of commanding something in trade. Thereby creating some goodwill or something that would help in trade negotiations for other players.

Haha. I was thinking along the same lines when I saw Jux's post about the Avs scouting the Barracuda. I don't think that Wilson and Sakic discussed it but it would make sense for DW to do that. Not that Nieto is going to create that much goodwill. Of course, we'll never know.

I took it as a sign that I was spending too much time thinking about the Sharks. :laugh:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Haha. I was thinking along the same lines when I saw Jux's post about the Avs scouting the Barracuda. I don't think that Wilson and Sakic discussed it but it would make sense for DW to do that. Not that Nieto is going to create that much goodwill. Of course, we'll never know.

I took it as a sign that I was spending too much time thinking about the Sharks. :laugh:

Actually I think it means you're in the right place.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Actually I think it means you're in the right place.

:laugh: Probably. I had to laugh at myself bc it's silly IMO to speculate about why DW (or PDB, etc.) did something when I have no info at all about that. It complete, uninformed guesswork.

It's a human tendency to make connections between events and sometimes that's good but sometimes we connect things that aren't really related or in ways that are inaccurate or wrong but make sense to us or form a good narrative. The Avs watching the Barracuda is notable and I probably wanted to "explain" (i.e., make up a story that sounds good) what might be going on between the Avs and Sharks so I took the lazy way out and connected it to another hot topic. :laugh:

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Ugh, Winnik and Galiardi. That trade blew

It was pretty bad but Sgarbossa didn't end up being anything and McGinn still isn't that good, he's just been a top-6 guy on some ****** teams.

Winnik was terrible, then of course he went on that tear with Anaheim right after signing with them, which pissed me off. Galiardi was whatever.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It was pretty bad but Sgarbossa didn't end up being anything and McGinn still isn't that good, he's just been a top-6 guy on some ****** teams.

Winnik was terrible, then of course he went on that tear with Anaheim right after signing with them, which pissed me off. Galiardi was whatever.

He did do this though.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

Some speculation of Winnik being a locker-room problem, but he definitely wasn't terrible as a player. The system was the problem, in which he rightfully questioned the dumb PK. He would have been a great pick-up if they actually had a good system.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Oh I know, I was just curious about Jux's valuation of the two guys. I think DW has more interest in Landeskog, but I think if he can get Duchene instead without paying an exorbitant cost, he might shift his focus.

Why not just trade him directly to the Avalanche for Future Considerations in that case?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Why not just trade him directly to the Avalanche for Future Considerations in that case?

IIRC the Avs pay the Sharks something like 50k if they claim Nieto off waivers. Stingy, but not a terrible strategy.

Although I doubt that matters. Maybe the Avs needed to make a roster move?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Some speculation of Winnik being a locker-room problem, but he definitely wasn't terrible as a player. The system was the problem, in which he rightfully questioned the dumb PK. He would have been a great pick-up if they actually had a good system.

Winnik is and always has been a good bottom-6 player, but he bounces around so much that I can't help but suspect he's a lockerroom problem. Mods can delete this part of my post if I'm not allowed to talk about it, but I remember after the 2012 playoffs, there was one night where a bunch of drunk pictures of some Sharks showed up on social media and Winnik was with one Shark's girlfriend and it was really weird.

jakeytown

Aug 10, 2011
El Paso TX
He did do this though.

True, that was a pretty sweet goal.

He also gave me a weird look at the Hilton in SJ. I flew up from TX for a game, was wearing a jersey, and saw him at the honor bar. Didnt wanna ask for an autograph because I was still bitter about the trade, and he was scratched that night and he didnt look too happy about it. Funnily enough, Winnik scored that night.

jakeytown

Aug 10, 2011
El Paso TX
Winnik is and always has been a good bottom-6 player, but he bounces around so much that I can't help but suspect he's a lockerroom problem. Mods can delete this part of my post if I'm not allowed to talk about it, but I remember after the 2012 playoffs, there was one night where a bunch of drunk pictures of some Sharks showed up on social media and Winnik was with one Shark's girlfriend and it was really weird.

Hmm, never heard about that. That's scummy if true

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

If I'm remembering correctly, it's unfair to single out Winnik. It was a group picture and (Couture's) girlfriend was just next to Winnik among the others. I don't think there were any locker-room issues, just him being frustrated with Woodcroft's dumb systems.
I think any "locker-room issues" were fabricated after he left Anaheim, though like PF said, it could just as easily be him being hard to sign.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Does anyone even bother to factor in salary in this Duchene fantasy?? Trade the farm for a guy who has 2 more years at 6 mil $. Whats he going to want on his next deal? 7+ would be a starting point. Pavs and Couture will both need deals at the same time as Duchene. Couture a raise and Pavs probably gets 6mil again unless he falls off the zamboni..
Landeskog on the other hand is signed for 4 more years at 5.75mil and a year younger.. I think I'd go after him. No reason he couldnt be a 30/30 player on this team. And he has better playoff numbers than Duchene :naughty:

Duchene has scored 30 goals 1 time in his 8yrs in the NHL.. Doesn't seem like he's someone I'd invest the kind of booty some of you are throwing out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad