Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
With the team goal scoring being in the bottom third of the league, Tierney not currently being suited for 3C duties, and the fourth line having been without a center for a while now, does anybody think it might be time to test-drive splitting up the Joes?

Maybe trying Labanc as a poor man's Pavelski on the top line (right handed, good release, good offensive instincts) and building a 3rd line for Pavelski with a mix of speed and playmaking (ala the Mitchell - Pavelski - Wellwood line from ages ago). Maybe Goldobin and Boedker?

Something like:

Marleau - Thornton - Labanc
Meier - Couture - Donskoi
Goldobin - Pavelski - Boedker
Karlsson - Tierney - Wingels/Ward <- Let's face it... Haley

I somewhat agree with you that we should split the Joe's for awhile and force a new look top 9. I think that the top line is a bit stale and opponents have enough tape on them that they are better able to defend against the same old attack. In my mind, we leave Pavs on Wing and go more along the following:

Marleau - Thornton - Meier
Boedker - Couture - Pavelski
Donskoi - Tierney (Hertl) - LaBanc
Ward - Wingels (Tierney) - Karlsson

Bolded when hertl gets back from injury.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Why split up Couture and Labanc? They are playing well together.

I was hoping the pair of Donskoi and LaBanc would keep their chemistry on the third line with Tierney for now and eventually with Hertl, while giving Pavs the better center to get him going (Pavs points are ok, but his play has not been impactful as it has been in the past). Also I think Couture is more likely to get more out of Boedker than Tierney, so trying to make 3rd line more dangerous (which will ease hertl back in as well)

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Do you guys see us having any realistic chance at landing Landeskog or Duchene?

Unlikely. Who would we trade to the Avs for one of them? Goldobin is really our only trade chip that even keeps the Avs from hanging up the phone and laughing hysterically. I have no idea who or what we could or would add to finish the deal. (and they'd probably insist on Meier being included too, and I'm reasonably confident Goldobin + Meier would be a non-starter for DW) Then there's the cap issues to consider, as well. Duchene has a $6m cap hit, which would cause serious issues in the future as well as this year. Landeskog isn't much cheaper at $5.71m. Sure, Colorado could retain a bunch to help our cap, but then the price is going to go up even more, and they'd still have to be willing to take someone like Wingels, or perhaps be willing to take back Boedker in order for the cap to work THIS year.

I honestly don't think we have anything like the parts necessary to put together a realistic deal that they'd take and wouldn't cripple us. Besides, which player we'd protect now would we have to end up exposing in the expansion draft because we now have Duchene/Landeskog?

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I recently read an article that suggested the Avalanche are looking for a young defenseman in return. So I assume a young forward is not exactly their preference when looking to trade Duchene or landeskog. Unfortunately our only high ceiling defensive prospect is Mueller at this point and even if he was thought of that highly by either organization, I assume also that we would be more interested in keeping him and continue to develop his game instead of gifting him to the Avs.

Ryan +high draft pick for Duchene ?

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
How would Mueller be a gift if Duchene or Landeskog are coming back? DW should get fired if he rejects that, and Sakic if he accepts that.

Sadly it doesn't work cap-wise, but you really don't know how the Aves view defensemen after the Stuart trade. :laugh:

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
How would Mueller be a gift if Duchene or Landeskog are coming back? DW should get fired if he rejects that, and Sakic if he accepts that.

Sadly it doesn't work cap-wise, but you really don't know how the Aves view defensemen after the Stuart trade. :laugh:

I just meant if Mueller was more of a stud he wouldn't be on the table to begin with. If DW offered him in exchange for either #9 or #92 and Sakic felt Mueller was worth it, by all means.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I recently read an article that suggested the Avalanche are looking for a young defenseman in return. So I assume a young forward is not exactly their preference when looking to trade Duchene or landeskog. Unfortunately our only high ceiling defensive prospect is Mueller at this point and even if he was thought of that highly by either organization, I assume also that we would be more interested in keeping him and continue to develop his game instead of gifting him to the Avs.

Ryan +high draft pick for Duchene ?

I'd offer them Dillon, Mueller and a 1st as a starting point for Duchene. If other picks or prospects are required, then I'm sure that could be worked out. Jeremy Roy is another high end prospect, but he is probably too injured/injury prone to have much value at this juncture.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Holy over payment.

Mueller and (hopefully) the 1st are worth basically nothing. Boedker literally has negative trade value and moving his contract helps us. Meier is the only player of value being traded on our side and we're getting Matt freakin Duchene for him. If anything it's an underpayment that the Avs would be stupid to accept.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Mueller and (hopefully) the 1st are worth basically nothing. Boedker literally has negative trade value and moving his contract helps us. Meier is the only player of value being traded on our side and we're getting Matt freakin Duchene for him. If anything it's an underpayment that the Avs would be stupid to accept.

Two top six , one bottom. Pairing and a first is what he's worth. Now, we can say Boedker is a 4th liner or a tweener but if he gets his game back that's all the avs will get from anyone if they dont do a 1 for 1

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
A late 20s pick (hopefully 30 if not 29th overall) isn't much to cry about when you're getting Duchene back. Colorado should get a package a lot better.

Nonetheless to say it has no value is ludicrous.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
If it has no value then it can be left out, right?

Are you just posting for the sake of posting now? Whatever, I said my piece.
Meier should be fairly highly valued by teams. Sharks late 1st has some value, but it'll be late 20s and they can get better picks from other teams so it isn't up there for me. Mueller and Boedker are just fill ins, quantity over quality.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
1st, Mueller, Meier and Boedker for Duchene would be more than worth it.

I'd probably do that and I like Meier (compared to many here) and don't particularly like Duchene.

Avs might think that was ok bc Boedker played well for them so would probably play top 6, as would Meier, and Meller would probably play in the NHL for them. They'd probably prefer the package be heavier on defensemen and lighter on forwards (in terms of how the package is weighted) but they might go for it. I think it might help both teams.

They'd probably get something they like more for Duchene, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad